Rumor: Toronto One Of The Teams Erik Karlsson Has Spoken To

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Playing stupid head games with players to get them to waive clauses is an asshole Harold Ballard/Punch Imlach move.

Every team in every city does some form to some degree of this, don't be naïve. Apparently its a Julien Brisebois move too.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Bolded is the first correct thing you've said.
You don't seem to grasp the simple difference between a NTC and a NMC. There is absolutely no similarity in the situation between McDonnaugh and Rielly.

There is nothing that can be done to Rielly if he doesn't want to leave. There is nothing that can be done to Tavares if he doesn't want to leave.
Your understanding of 'business' is really weak.

:laugh:

No shit sherlock, NTC and NMC are totally different clauses, I've never argued to the contrary. You're debating a point that was never suggested to begin with in the first place, you are the first person on this forum to debate yourself and lose... great accomplishment there sparky. For multiple post you are stuck on a non sequitur. like a bad coding loop, you can't comprehend what is being suggested. What I've said is if you hold the leverage you can get players to waive their clauses. For some reason your brain cant comprehend that very simple simple concept. TB leverage was we are going to send you to Columbus, I've suggested Toronto's leverage could be to put Rielly in all the most difficult and least fun situations. It really is not as hard as you are making it out to be. TB created an undesirable situation, Toronto could easily do the same. McDonnaugh couldn't be traded to Nashville until he was, under the contract Toronto cant waive, demote or trade Rielly till 2028 (they can trade him in 2028 to a limited number of teams) until the situation arises before that where he can be traded ... this really is not a hard concept to understand.

At this point, it totally makes sense that you poo in your hand.

LOL..

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Kinda think Rielly is on the move.

1) We know Tre likes big, tough , defensive defence men. Rielly is not that.

2) He signed a one way, train wreck of a defensive defenceman in Klingberg to basically play 1st unit PP. Rielly while better defensively, is not a defensive defenceman, his job is to QB the PP and drive offence from the 1st pairing. This is what Klingberg does. How do you have two defenders with suspect defensive ability play big minutes and not suffer defensivly? Kinda looks like Klingberg is stealing Riellys easy minutes on PP1. If Rielly is not playing 1st unit , how does he get enough minutes to drive offence, we pay him to produce points not play a shutdown role?

3) If the Karlsson rumor is true, how could any sane person have Rielly, Klingberg and Karlsson on the back end and think that is a defence that will play big rough playoff hockey and defend enough to shut down the other teams stars? F-ing nightmare if those guys are our top 3. the scores are going to be 9-8 every night.

4) Rielly is a Jekyll/Hyde player, not sure you want that inconsistency on the back end when you got Klingberg who is a nightmare in his own end, think Sandin but better point producer. Two poor defenders in your top 3 is not a good recipe + the guy we depended on in Brodie, to be that stabilizing defender, has clearly been affected by father time and has lost a step..
Forget rielly As strange as it might sound the only players that should go are Nylander and 1 fo the D.

Toronto has a huge probelm not just this year but next year as well. If they stay with Nylander in the maple leaf they willhave used next yers cap space up in Nylander and Mathews. Then add in Samsonov forget about all the others ther is no room.

Karlson willnot go to a team that is a firesale next year.

Even Carolina looks like they are getting ready for life without him

Karlson may end up staying in SJ next year because none of the quality teams have the cap space or players that they can trade.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Too many "run of the mill" players are getting NTC's now.

Though I think once the player requests a trade, any such clauses should be voided. That's the big problem with it, the player holds all the cards.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Though I think once the player requests a trade, any such clauses should be voided. That's the big problem with it, the player holds all the cards.

It's a virus brought upon us by player agents. If I was a GM and you ask for a NTC or a NMC, that IMO drops the dollars I will give a player. For Rielly you want 7 mil, fine but no NTC/NMC. You can have the NTC/NMC at 6 mil or no NMC/NTC at 7 mil. your choice. You insist on market value + a NTC/NMC, that's fine, you'll find yourself in another jersey.

Reactions: andora

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast

I think it was quoted a few weeks ago 255!

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Not sure I want EK either.

Maybe something like:

Tor (Takes on 13 million)
EK - with 1.5 Retained
Duclair ($3,000,000)

SJ (Takes on just over 15 million)
Murray $4,687,000
Muzzin $5,625,000
Brodie $5,000,000
First round pick
Minten
B prospect

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Surprised at how many fans of management there are. The players are the league and deserve every right they have.

I know there’s one special individual who doesn’t understand NTC vs NMC but I’m surprised at some of the other comments.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Surprised at how many fans of management there are. The players are the league and deserve every right they have.

I know there’s one special individual who doesn’t understand NTC vs NMC but I’m surprised at some of the other comments.

I don’t like either the players or the management, they’re both on the same team and could not care any less about the fans. I follow hockey to be entertained, trades are entertaining. Nick f’in Paul should not have an NTC on an 8 year deal, the dictionary definition of “generic average NHLer” Jarnkrok should not have trade protection.

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
Easy to get players to waive NMC, especially when that player lives to drive offence. Find a way to put him in every pain in the ass defensive position, 1st unit PK, pair him with Klingberg and tell him he is the guy who stays back and defends while Klingberg leads the rush, reduce his minutes.
This has already been addressed but the path towards trading an asset that has earned personal guarantees is showcasing his weaknesses until he is fed up and see what you can get for him?

Reactions: Buds17

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

When you intentionally mischaracterize what other people say, it really does not color you in a great light. Dishonesty is not a good character trait.

Ale Brew

Feb 24, 2020
Not sure I want EK either.

Maybe something like:

Tor (Takes on 13 million)
EK - with 1.5 Retained
Duclair ($3,000,000)

SJ (Takes on just over 15 million)
Murray $4,687,000
Muzzin $5,625,000
Brodie $5,000,000
First round pick
Minten
B prospect
You realize both Murray and Muzzin are expected to spend the year on LTIR and not count towards our cap?

So your proposed deal would cost us about $8M extra cap space and make it virtually impossible to be cap compliant without another significant deal to follow.

I don’t see any way we’re currently in on Karlson. The interest had to be prior to signing Klingburg, Bertuzzi, and Domi.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't want Karlsson but I hope we drive the price up for Dubas.

With Carolina getting DeAngelo...of the 2 names left it's Toronto and Pittsburgh.

I would love Dubas to feel like he needs to "win" going up against his former team and overpays for Karlsson.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
With Carolina getting DeAngelo...of the 2 names left it's Toronto and Pittsburgh.

I would love Dubas to feel like he needs to "win" going up against his former team and overpays for Karlsson.

i hope he pays 3 first rounders all unprotected for karlsson and pens crash and burn to the ground for those three years

now that would be TASTY!

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

I'm hoping Dubas wants to make a splash and goes hard for him.

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad