Rumor: Toronto One Of The Teams Erik Karlsson Has Spoken To

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Samsonov watching Karlsson and Klingberg play defense in front of him.

confused-kid.gif

The PP would be insane though.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Don't know how that would work, Rielly has a full NMC and I doubt he's waiving it for SJ.

The only way it could work would be if you got double retention down to about 4 million and Brodie was part of the deal.

Then obviously you'd have to figure out the actual trade package.

But just to play Devils advocate if you COULD get it done Karlsson would be a fantastic addition

Dubas can gut the Penguins for him.

Hard pass.

I think he gets less than people think.

That's A LOT of money

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Kinda think Rielly is on the move.

1) We know Tre likes big, tough , defensive defence men. Rielly is not that.

2) He signed a one way, train wreck of a defensive defenceman in Klingberg to basically play 1st unit PP. Rielly while better defensively, is not a defensive defenceman, his job is to QB the PP and drive offence from the 1st pairing. This is what Klingberg does. How do you have two defenders with suspect defensive ability play big minutes and not suffer defensivly? Kinda looks like Klingberg is stealing Riellys easy minutes on PP1. If Rielly is not playing 1st unit , how does he get enough minutes to drive offence, we pay him to produce points not play a shutdown role?

3) If the Karlsson rumor is true, how could any sane person have Rielly, Klingberg and Karlsson on the back end and think that is a defence that will play big rough playoff hockey and defend enough to shut down the other teams stars? F-ing nightmare if those guys are our top 3. the scores are going to be 9-8 every night.

4) Rielly is a Jekyll/Hyde player, not sure you want that inconsistency on the back end when you got Klingberg who is a nightmare in his own end, think Sandin but better point producer. Two poor defenders in your top 3 is not a good recipe + the guy we depended on in Brodie, to be that stabilizing defender, has clearly been affected by father time and has lost a step..

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Don't know how that would work, Rielly has a full NMC and I doubt he's waiving it for SJ.

The only way it could work would be if you got double retention down to about 4 million and Brodie was part of the deal.

Then obviously you'd have to figure out the actual trade package.

But just to play Devils advocate if you COULD get it done Karlsson would be a fantastic addition

I think he gets less than people think.

That's A LOT of money

Easy to get players to waive NMC, especially when that player lives to drive offence. Find a way to put him in every pain in the ass defensive position, 1st unit PK, pair him with Klingberg and tell him he is the guy who stays back and defends while Klingberg leads the rush, reduce his minutes.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Easy to get players to waive NMC, especially when that player lives to drive offence. Find a way to put him in every pain in the ass defensive position, 1st unit PK, pair him with Klingberg and tell him he is the guy who stays back and defends while Klingberg leads the rush, reduce his minutes.

So just treat him like shit?

That seems unlikely

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Seems incredibly stupid.

Reilly is going nowhere, as it should be.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This doesn’t happen in the real world.

How is this a rumour if karlsson said it?

Also there is no way he comes here with klingberg
Seems extremely unlikely to me but Klingberg could be part of the package going out.

Reactions: Arzak and Kurtz

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I'm worried.

Because if we can, you know we will and we really should not.

This is JT 2.0. The best free agent D in years? We can't afford not to sign him? He'll take a discount because SJ offered more?

The only problem is this Norris D can't defend. Ok we have absolutely no need for him, so he'll be Leaf next season, I'm calling it now.

Reactions: yzerman

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
This doesn’t happen in the real world.

Seems extremely unlikely to me but Klingberg could be part of the package going out.

Can you sign a guy just to trade him? Does he not have to be on the roster until Jan 1 or is that an extension?

Either way I think that would be bad vibes for future ufa

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Kinda think Rielly is on the move.

1) We know Tre likes big, tough , defensive defence men. Rielly is not that.

2) He signed a one way, train wreck of a defensive defenceman in Klingberg to basically play 1st unit PP. Rielly while better defensively, is not a defensive defenceman, his job is to QB the PP and drive offence from the 1st pairing. This is what Klingberg does. How do you have two defenders with suspect defensive ability play big minutes and not suffer defensivly? Kinda looks like Klingberg is stealing Riellys easy minutes on PP1. If Rielly is not playing 1st unit , how does he get enough minutes to drive offence, we pay him to produce points not play a shutdown role?

3) If the Karlsson rumor is true, how could any sane person have Rielly, Klingberg and Karlsson on the back end and think that is a defence that will play big rough playoff hockey and defend enough to shut down the other teams stars? F-ing nightmare if those guys are our top 3. the scores are going to be 9-8 every night.

4) Rielly is a Jekyll/Hyde player, not sure you want that inconsistency on the back end when you got Klingberg who is a nightmare in his own end, think Sandin but better point producer. Two poor defenders in your top 3 is not a good recipe + the guy we depended on in Brodie, to be that stabilizing defender, has clearly been affected by father time and has lost a step..
I have thought out loud about a Rielly trade. Not my first choice, but they have a lot of work to do and they’re not getting anything for anyone else on D

Reactions: Hellcat

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Retention is the only way we make him fit and I’m not a fan of using a portion Willy’s value in a trade to get heavy retention. It feels like lost value to me just to make a player that we don’t really need fit.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Can you sign a guy just to trade him? Does he not have to be on the roster until Jan 1 or is that an extension?

Either way I think that would be bad vibes for future ufa
I know it’s not ideal and pretty rare but it could happen. (I think)

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I essentially view Klingberg as a Karlsson with less risk and reward attached. I also believe that signing the former should take the team out of the sweepstakes for the latter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad