Rumor: Toronto One Of The Teams Erik Karlsson Has Spoken To

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
This made sense prior to signing Klingberg. I don't think the Leafs are seriously interested at this point.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Seems like EK is more underrated then any player on the Leafs.
If u dont think Leafs would be better with him on the team...
If being healthy... then u only know one type of hockey. He would serve our snipers free goals all year. And steps up in the playoffs more then any of the four core players. And he would bring some life to this extremly boring team.

It is very effective to switch positions between defensive good Forwards and a offensive good D in game. Extra hard to defend against. A offensive minded D can many times be the best defence.

Would be fun to watch.

Until we get rid of JT and get a real goalie nothing matters anyway.

Going to the leafs only guarantee him a playoffspot... not much more.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
This is all nonsense. He agreed to the trade to Nashville, so his no trade list is completely irrelevant if he agrees to the trade.

It's frankly bizarre that you are in here repeatedly pretending that No Trade Clauses and NMC's don't need to be honoured.

Sigh... what is nonsense is you don't understand business, the genesis of how he waived his NTC underlies how NTC and NMC are not worth the paper they are printed on, there are ways to make the player so uncomfortable, that he picks the lesser of two evils.

TB let it leak that they were going to place No Trade Clause McDonnaugh on waivers, they then gave teams on his NTC list a heads up that he would be going on waivers, Columbus told the TB GM that they were going to claim him, TB then told McDonnaugh that Columbus was going to claim him BUT if he would waive his NTC they could send him to Nashville. McDonnough hated the idea of playing in Columbus so much, he caved and waived his NTC. TB broke the spirit of the contract way before McDonnaugh waived his rights. What is bizarre is that grandiose naivety allows people to think contracts can't and wont be broken. It's life buddy it happens all the time.

Just like TB did some real shady shit to twist McDonnaughs arm till he caved, you could do some real shady shit to get Rielly to cave too. It's not Rocket Surgery, I don't understand why people are being so naïve.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Why do the Leafs move out the one guy that, despite having his warts, actually cares about the playoffs?

You can care in one hand and take a poo in the other, see which one fills up first. We've had half a century of players who care, I'm ready for players who win.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Sigh... what is nonsense is you don't understand business, the genesis of how he waived his NTC underlies how NTC and NMC are not worth the paper they are printed on, there are ways to make the player so uncomfortable, that he picks the lesser of two evils.

TB let it leak that they were going to place No Trade Clause McDonnaugh on waivers, they then gave teams on his NTC list a heads up that he would be going on waivers, Columbus told the TB GM that they were going to claim him, TB then told McDonnaugh that Columbus was going to claim him BUT if he would waive his NTC they could send him to Nashville. McDonnough hated the idea of playing in Columbus so much, he caved and waived his NTC. TB broke the spirit of the contract way before McDonnaugh waived his rights. What is bizarre is that grandiose naivety allows people to think contracts can't and wont be broken. It's life buddy it happens all the time.

Just like TB did some real shady shit to twist McDonnaughs arm till he caved, you could do some real shady shit to get Rielly to cave too. It's not Rocket Surgery, I don't understand why people are being so naïve.
Bolded is the first correct thing you've said.
You don't seem to grasp the simple difference between a NTC and a NMC. There is absolutely no similarity in the situation between McDonnaugh and Rielly.

There is nothing that can be done to Rielly if he doesn't want to leave. There is nothing that can be done to Tavares if he doesn't want to leave.
Your understanding of 'business' is really weak.

At this point, it totally makes sense that you poo in your hand.
:laugh:

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
On paper this sounds correct, but Erik Karlsson just outscored prime Matthews and Marner and would have led our team in scoring last season, so there are some unique factors at play.

He was also a -26 while racking up those 101 points. He was on the ice for more regular strength goals than any other player in the league and it wasn't even close. Not to mention he played 26 minutes a night on a team that gave up the third most goals in the league. He's like a turbo charged Jake Gardiner and I don't mean that in a good way. Thanks, but no thanks.

Reactions: Mckay

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He was also a -26 while racking up those 101 points. He was on the ice for more regular strength goals than any other player in the league and it wasn't even close. Not to mention he played 26 minutes a night on a team that gave up the third most goals in the league. He's like a turbo charged Jake Gardiner and I don't mean that in a good way. Thanks, but no thanks.

Those were all with the empty net. I don't think you realize the actual difference between him on the ice at ES and off the ice, not including empty net goals since he's out there most of the time when they're trying to tie the game at the end. This has led to people not even realizing how big of an impact he's had on his team, I think it was like a top 10-15 on/off ice impact for any defenseman of all-time, 3 quarters through the season, I recall the thread about it perfectly. This San Jose team was downright horrible, especially defensively.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Arguments against Erik Karlsson are fine but the Leafs are going to be putting 4 better guys around him on the ice than anything he had in San Jose, or even during him prime in Ottawa so it's not really as neat and tidy as "he's defensively awful, the end."

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
96 goals for 96 against 5 on 5 for Karlsson, 1 goal for 2 goals against shorthanded and 39 goals for 11 against on the powerplay. His team was -43 at 5vs5

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
Those were all with the empty net. I don't think you realize the actual difference between him on the ice at ES and off the ice, not including empty net goals since he's out there most of the time when they're trying to tie the game at the end. This has led to people not even realizing how big of an impact he's had on his team, I think it was like a top 10-15 on/off ice impact for any defenseman of all-time, 3 quarters through the season, I recall the thread about it perfectly. This San Jose team was downright horrible, especially defensively.
They were not all with the empty net. Yes he was on the ice for a lot of EN goals (not sure that refutes the fact he sucks defensively) but he was also on the ice for 126 Even Strength goals against this year, the most in the past 15 years. Yes San Jose was horrible defensively, he was one of the main reasons why.

I know plus/minus is a bit of a flawed stat but Karlsonn's been pretty close to a point a game player yet is -103 in his career, that's a problem. He might fit in well on a defense core that is great in it's own end, but the Leafs aren't that and he'd only make things worse.

If our playoff performance showed anything it's that we need a #2/#3 Dman with size and grit that can play in his own end. Someone like Carlo, Hedman, McNabb, etc not Karlsson.

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
Arguments against Erik Karlsson are fine but the Leafs are going to be putting 4 better guys around him on the ice than anything he had in San Jose, or even during him prime in Ottawa so it's not really as neat and tidy as "he's defensively awful, the end."
I agree he will play with better players, but are they the right type of players, we already have Rielly and Klingberg.
Not sure how adding Karlsson to our defense helps us advance in the playoffs.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
They were not all with the empty net. Yes he was on the ice for a lot of EN goals (not sure that refutes the fact he sucks defensively) but he was also on the ice for 126 Even Strength goals against this year, the most in the past 15 years. Yes San Jose was horrible defensively, he was one of the main reasons why.

I know plus/minus is a bit of a flawed stat but Karlsonn's been pretty close to a point a game player yet is -103 in his career, that's a problem. He might fit in well on a defense core that is great in it's own end, but the Leafs aren't that and he'd only make things worse.

If our playoff performance showed anything it's that we need a #2/#3 Dman with size and grit that can play in his own end. Someone like Carlo, Hedman, McNabb, etc not Karlsson.

The entirety of his minus comes from empty net goals against, the goalie pulled still counts as even strength since you have an extra attacker out

96 goals for 96 against 5 on 5 for Karlsson, 1 goal for 2 goals against shorthanded and 39 goals for 11 against on the powerplay. His team was -43 at 5vs5

He's also been on horrible teams his entire career, yet still carried Ottawa to within striking distance of a Cup finals in 2017. If you think having Karlsson on the ice is a net negative then you are sorely mistaken

Reactions: arso40

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Great Offensive Ds kan win you games by there own. Great defensive Ds can help u avoid loosing. But for that you need at least one goal. And i rather have a team that try to win vs try not to loose.

Reactions: authentic

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I think if EK ends up in Pitt it will be interesting to watch that roster with him, managed by Dubas, as they spend assets and navigate cap Hell.

If he ends up here it will definitely be a flashy team. We will have multiple threads about how we can’t protect leads, and how much Mitch will be asking for now that he’s on track for an Art Ross.

Entertaining for sure.

Reactions: authentic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad