GDT: Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Montreal Canadiens 10/29/16 7:00pm EST CBC (HD), TVA, TSN 690

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm from Montreal and I absolutely agree with all of this. I'm very proud of the Jays and the Raptors, and I love the city of Toronto.

I was an Expos fan. Couldn't stomach the Jays after they voted to contract the Expos. They are Taranna's team as far as I'm concerned, not "Canada's team".

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I really don't like Weber and Emelin going against that amazing Leafs young speedy forward group. This is a game that Beaulieu should be on the first pairing and play 20+ minutes a game. But we do have MT as the head coach so who am I kidding.

Meh, I'm a bit concerned about the leafs speed too but who's to say beaulieu would do any better?

Sure, he has very good mobility, probably the best overall skater on the team since subban left, but he just isn't a great decision maker. You can have all the speed and mobility in the world but it's never enough if you can't make good decisions. Until he can prove himself in that regard, he will always struggle moving up the depth chart.

Athletique_Canadien

Dec 13, 2005
Halifax, NS
My worry about this game are some very deceptive shots that catch Price off guard. It's true he has closed the door on the Leafs, dominating over the last 3 seasons. But before that the Leafs were sneaky at getting shots past Price.

There can be zero rope a dope. The "Big 3" have the potential to make us pay. It goes without saying a "pound them in to submission" attitude/style of play is in order

dzd ncnfzd

Aug 8, 2007
I was an Expos fan. Couldn't stomach the Jays after they voted to contract the Expos. They are Taranna's team as far as I'm concerned, not "Canada's team".

Very much this. And the Toronto Centric media had a major role to play in the Expo's demise, they used to be "Canada's team" before the Jays showed up. Toronto's "national" media is supremely annoying. And it must be worst for the other Canadian fan bases who don't have the "homer" alternatives we Habs fans have.(As annoynig they can also be!!)

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I really don't like Weber and Emelin going against that amazing Leafs young speedy forward group. This is a game that Beaulieu should be on the first pairing and play 20+ minutes a game. But we do have MT as the head coach so who am I kidding.

They handled themselves very we for the most part and were the best duo against a faster, proven and more skilled Tampa team.

If anything, I think the intimidation is on the other side now knowing they can get analhilated skating in from either side.

Didn't like it at first and doubt they stick all year but they've been the best duo this far.

If anything, I'd swap Markov with Beau at this point and go with
Beau Petry
Markov Pateryn

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
When considering the Habs defence pairings, using all our veterans on the top four is just common sense. Petry has come into this season in the best shape of his career, adding 10 lbs. of muscle @ 210 lbs., he's a PMD with the size to clear the front of the net and the speed/IQ to force opponents to the outside. Weber being in a class of his own with his size, abilities to play both ends of the rink, while dominating the opposition to distraction/frustration. Then we are blessed with Team Russia's Markov & Emelin, whose play in the World Cup was exactly what they needed on the North American sized ice arena's. Having three out of four defencemen in our top two pairings, being World Cup elite players. With Petry whose play this season has been superlative, one has to wonder how Edmonton managed to draft him in the 2nd round.(But then of course Weber & Subban were drafted in the 2nd rounds of their draft years also.) Having Pateryn & Beaulieu playing together on the 3rd pairing is a natural fit after playing together for parts of three seasons in Hamilton with the AHL Bulldogs. The Habs defence truly does have no holes in it, playing Toronto's young team, is the perfect opportunity to play Sergachev against Matthews once more. After their exhibition game in pre-season was a 3 -2 loss in OT, young Team Russia's defenceman Zaitsev scored along with defencemen Reilly & Hunwick with the OT winner against Mike Condon.

Expecting a much different outcome with the Habs full regular lineup, whose defence
is the stingiest in the NHL. Habs having the top NHL offence is another major problem the Leafs will be facing, looking forward to the game . Habs/Leafs Saturday Night games are always worthwhile watching, the animosity these team's have for each other, brings out the best from both team's.(Fans win all day long watching these guys play.) Go Habs Go!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I like watching the young Leafs. I especially like Mitch Marner who will be a star in the league.

Let Leafs Nation do their thing when it comes to Matthews....if we had him we would be doing the same thing.

With Price in nets and a focused team in front of him I like our chances.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

I was just going to mention the vote. The least the Jays could have done was throw a symbolic vote towards the Expos considering how influential the Expos were in pushing for the Jays. In the end them pushing for the Jays would hurt because of the Jays insistence over TV rights to southern Ontario.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
Apart from the last game the Leafs have had a shakey defence. Tampa blew them away 7-2, we handled Tampa okay so it's not unreasonable to say that we will roll over the Leafs without too much difficulty.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Leafs have drafted 3 excellent young forwards and one stud Dman. They still have more holes than a sponge though. It will take a whole lot more to make them a playoff team.

Not sure what they saw in Andersen...good goalie but Reimer in my estimation is much steadier.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Matthews looks like he's 35 in that picture. Dude needs to take a nap.

Man that kid can play. I think he is going to be better than Eichel.

Verdict is still out though on wether he will be the best player from his draft class. Laine may have something to say about that.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Apart from the last game the Leafs have had a shakey defence. Tampa blew them away 7-2, we handled Tampa okay so it's not unreasonable to say that we will roll over the Leafs without too much difficulty.

Doesn't really mean anything.

Leafs have a good shot at exposing our less than speedy D, should Price have a bad or mediocre game(I know, it doesn't happen often) they could definitely walk away with a win.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
14656310_10154499318597177_4928790454148479957_n.jpg

It's really nothing personal towards Matthews. And I do understand the annoyance. Not with the Leafs. It's LeafNation media. Argh! I just don't need to hear the same story from Dave Poulin, Jeff Marek, Jeff O'Neill, Don Cherry, Ray Ferraro, Pierre McGuire, Bob Cole, Jamie McLennan, Kelly Hrudey, Martin Biron, Steve Simmons, Glen Healy, Craig Button, Doug MacLean, Bob McKenzie, Darren Dreger, Pierre LeBrun, James Duthie, Nick Kypreos, John Buccigross, Gord Miller, Darren Pang, Elliott Friedman &/or Damian Cox 4,000 times a day!

It would be like you going to a coffee shop. There's 3 Leafer fans woot wooting about Matthews. You chime on on how exciting Laine is & they respond with, "Who? Yeah, whatever!"

Lost in this conversation is Travis Konecny (PHI) & Devin Shore (DAL). And it's lost & buried under the sheer weight of the Big 3 in media Leaf land. Both are a point up on Marner but you'll never hear about that!

So even though the Leafs are down & we should have class, it's difficult to. And it's not the orgs fault nor the fans. It's that media :rant:

GO HABS GO!

Still nothing compared to the McDavid hype by HF.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I really don't like Weber and Emelin going against that amazing Leafs young speedy forward group.

If I remember correctly the same concerns were expressed before the Tampa Bay game. Not by you but by others. So how did that pair do in that game? And that was a back to back returning from an away game.

The only problem I see is a let down after Thursday night and that let down will happen if Weber is paired with Emelin or Beaulieu.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Not to be a buzzkill, but i've been given tickets for tonight and i'm like 1-11-5 the last times i went to the BC :laugh:

Wouldn't bet on it if i were you

I've dispatched a couple of goons to relieve you of those tickets. Follow their instructions and everything should be honky dory.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Price plus home game plus rested since last game = advantage Habs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad