Friedman: Toronto Maple Leafs may kick tires on San Jose UFA D Brenden Dillon

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Are you referring to his point totals (stats?), because he's not an offensive defensemen and shouldn't be judged as such.

Also, in your first post, you say it makes sense, but now you're saying you're surprised the Leafs are even interested.

The dude is UFA bro. Are you planning to re sign him?? No one is offering a second for Brenden fricken Dillon that's UFA. Im surprised the Leafs are even interested in him in general. And now you want a second??? LUL

The guys career stats are horrible. And not even worth a third. Toronto should offer Ceci + 3rd and thats being generous.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Yeah I looked it up right after I read that. I woulda sworn there was no way he was 32 already.

Yeah I probably had the same feeling like I'd been in a coma for a couple years and didn't realize it. Dillon even being 29 made me feel a bit old. The first CHL game I ever attended was in Seattle in 2009. Dillon played in Seattle and signed as an undrafted free agent a couple years after that so I always thought it was cool even though I had no idea who he was at the time. Every amateur game I've been to ever since, I've tried to mentally figure out if I was watching any future Brendan Dillons.

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
The dude is UFA bro. Are you planning to re sign him?? No one is offering a second for Brenden fricken Dillon that's UFA. Im surprised the Leafs are even interested in him in general. And now you want a second??? LUL

The guys career stats are horrible. And not even worth a third. Toronto should offer Ceci + 3rd and thats being generous.

33 year old Offensive dynamo and pending UFA Douglas Murray returned a 2nd + conditional 2nd a few years back. Pending UFA Defensive dmen pull a premium at the trade deadline. Dillon probably wont pull what Murray did but I could definitely see him pulling a 2nd or equivalent prospect.

Reactions: themelkman

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ironically, a guy like Dylan DeMelo would be just what the Leafs need.

He's really good at playing with offensive defencemen, much like Methot was with Karlsson. He's solid, rarely makes mistakes, plays very smart and lets his partner do their thing.

He's cheap under the cap too.

Personally, I'd rather keep him, but there's a fairly sizeable contingent of Sens fans who want to trade everyone.

Reactions: BayStBullies

Ledge And Dairy

As a Flames fan id offer a 3rd/2nd Janks for Dillon(30% retained)
Can you stop going into every thread and offering Jankowski + picks for any of the players involved when it's not even remotely related to the thread. You are single handedly lowering his value. Dillon doesn't even make sense for Calgary, he's not better than Hanifin, Gio, Brodie, or Andersson and spending even a 2nd on a rental to play 9 minutes a night is horrible asset management when he's isnt much of an improvement over Kylington

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
With no extension in place, makes no sense. They would also have to feel Dillon is an upgrade on Muzzin and could be resigned for less, and long term.

We have Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott, and Sandin long term for LHD, with interest in extending Muzzin.

If he was RHD it would be a no brainer to do.

No. You don't have anyone but Reilly into next season. Nobody.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
It's not the popular opinion among Leafs fans, But I think the team needs to keep Sandin and Liljegren in the minors this season. Nothing to do with contract slides or whatnot. But there's no benefit to putting the weight of the team on them now, which is what will happen given the teams' D struggles and current standings position.

Kick tires on Dillon. Yes, please. And every other defender who might be even close to tradeable. They should be adding 2 before the playoffs, and with the injuries to Rielly and Muzzin there's no reason to wait until the deadline.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006

For your LD commentary.
reilly is a top pair LD guy,
sandin is playing like a top 4 LD guy now,
dermott isnt playing great this year but he was playing like a top 4 LD last year and is still projected to do so. He prob never full recovered from his start of the year injuries.
either way the Left side is not a problem. The right is thinner than paper

as bad as you think the RD is should we even pull up how horrid the sharks LD is ?
the only reason dillion is playing way more than his average TOI (last 5 or so years) is because vlasic;s game has fallen off a cliff and rookie mario ferraro isnt looking good. So what choice does the sharks have ?

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California

How long have you followed hockey? Have you experienced a trade deadline? And do you understand the concept of a physical defenseman?

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
For your LD commentary.
reilly is a top pair LD guy,
sandin is playing like a top 4 LD guy now,
dermott isnt playing great this year but he was playing like a top 4 LD last year and is still projected to do so. He prob never full recovered from his start of the year injuries.
either way the Left side is not a problem. The right is thinner than paper

as bad as you think the RD is should we even pull up how horrid the sharks LD is ?
the only reason dillion is playing way more than his average TOI (last 5 or so years) is because vlasic;s game has fallen off a cliff and rookie mario ferraro isnt looking good. So what choice does the sharks have ?
Buddy none of what you just said is right. Sounds like you’ve never seen the sharks

Reactions: Gecklund

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
A team in need of d-man, may (or may not) talk to another team regarding the acquisition of a d-man.

This must be why Friedman makes the big bucks. :laugh:

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

Going into next season, we have Rielly, Dermott, Holl, Sandin and Liljegren. An extension is being rumoured with Muzzin to bring him back.

That is 5 defensive players expected to play, and potentially a renewed 6th in Muzzin.

.... and apologies, I didn’t realize we have to have our 2020-2021 opening day roster finalized by this years trade deadline. Bummer....

You can keep Dillon and let him walk as a UFA. He isn’t a difference maker for the Leafs this year.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Buddy none of what you just said is right. Sounds like you’ve never seen the sharks

How about addressing the specifics he’s talk about point by point, rather than posting a 2 line post crapping like you did?

Don’t agree? Fine, but his post was much more articulate than your two line response that boiled down to “nuh uhhhh”.

Reactions: Lahey

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Sharks should have no issue taking Ceci back as long as the deal is worth it. Not like it really matters for the rest of the season, both Dillon and Ceci are UFA's who will walk.

If the Leafs give you the best price for Dillon you take Ceci. All about maximizing assets.

Then pair him with EK just for the lols.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Doug is going to target picks and prospects for anybody he sells on at the TDL. If he got 2 2nds for an old, slow Doug Murray then you can bet he’s going to get at least that for Dillon who might be the top dman available at the deadline. We can crap on Wilson for some of the contracts he’s handed out but he is one of the best GMs in the league when it comes to extracting full value in trades.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00