Friedman: Toronto Maple Leafs may kick tires on San Jose UFA D Brenden Dillon

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Wait, Ken Holland isn't the Leafs GM. Tire kicking is his thing, so maybe Dillon is going to the Oilers!

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Can you stop going into every thread and offering Jankowski + picks for any of the players involved when it's not even remotely related to the thread. You are single handedly lowering his value. Dillon doesn't even make sense for Calgary, he's not better than Hanifin, Gio, Brodie, or Andersson and spending even a 2nd on a rental to play 9 minutes a night is horrible asset management when he's isnt much of an improvement over Kylington

I didn't know users on HFBoards could have an effect on real life player value. Good to know.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Stecher could fit in for the Leafs. Reliable third pairing RD on the Canucks, could easily be a top 4 guy on the Leafs defense

Something like Stecher and a 5th for Kapanen and a 4th could work for both sides quite well

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Assume Ceci has to go in trade and has zero positive value for Sharks cap purposes only. You would have to trade a 2 and 3 minimum for Dillon. Shocked if Sharks got a 1.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Stecher could fit in for the Leafs. Reliable third pairing RD on the Canucks, could easily be a top 4 guy on the Leafs defense

Something like Stecher and a 5th for Kapanen and a 4th could work for both sides quite well
I know everyone thinks the Leafs blueline is trash but when healthy, its around the middle of the pack. Stretcher isnt better than Holl or Barrie. With a healthy roster he'd be our #6. I'm sure you'd love Kapanen and a pick for him because that's awful for the Leafs.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Prior to Holl's emergence something like Stecher + 3rd + a Keppen type prospect would have been interesting, but Holl fills that low cost 4-5 niche

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Anyone that ends up acquiring him likely will pay a 2nd round pick plus some other somewhat decent asset. It may not end up being the Leafs but it'll be someone.
Hey don't disagree but we likely don't have our first, and I wouldn't want to give up a second either unless its an add on to a young fwd for a better piece than dillon. Jmo.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
Buddy none of what you just said is right. Sounds like you’ve never seen the sharks

really ... these are my thoughts exactly

"the Leafs have apparently kicked the tires on this guy, which is fine and all, but I don’t see anything there I want much. Brenden Dillon has moved up and down the left side of the San Jose Sharks defence, but on net he doesn’t play especially tough competition. He’s a low-event left-shooting defenceman, big and nasty and physical. He does nothing on the power play, which is fine, but he’s only the fourth-most-used SJ defenceman on the admittedly excellent Sharks penalty kill. Most of all, he’s an expiring contract and he’s 29. I dislike rentals on principle and I really dislike rentals for guys who are an awkward fit anyway (again, he’s a left shot.) From what it sounds like, the Leafs are exploring an extension with Jake Muzzin, which would likely mean we’re not extending with Dillon if that’s consummated. So really: in the abstract I’m fine to replace Cody Ceci with Dillon; in reality I’m not paying assets to do it. Pass."

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
really ... these are my thoughts exactly

"the Leafs have apparently kicked the tires on this guy, which is fine and all, but I don’t see anything there I want much. Brenden Dillon has moved up and down the left side of the San Jose Sharks defence, but on net he doesn’t play especially tough competition. He’s a low-event left-shooting defenceman, big and nasty and physical. He does nothing on the power play, which is fine, but he’s only the fourth-most-used SJ defenceman on the admittedly excellent Sharks penalty kill. Most of all, he’s an expiring contract and he’s 29. I dislike rentals on principle and I really dislike rentals for guys who are an awkward fit anyway (again, he’s a left shot.) From what it sounds like, the Leafs are exploring an extension with Jake Muzzin, which would likely mean we’re not extending with Dillon if that’s consummated. So really: in the abstract I’m fine to replace Cody Ceci with Dillon; in reality I’m not paying assets to do it. Pass."
No what you said is, “Dillon sucks on the super weak sharks left side! Vlasic is awful and Ferraro is terrible”

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
No. You don't have anyone but Reilly into next season. Nobody.
Yeah, you're right.

Holl, Dermott, and the $12M in cap space from UFA's leaving are all just going to vanish into thin air as soon as the season ends :eek:

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Yeah, you're right.

Holl, Dermott, and the $12M in cap space from UFA's leaving are all just going to vanish into thin air as soon as the season ends :eek:

Perhaps I shouldve fixed my quote and made it defenseman worth having

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Probably not a fit for Toronto. Dillon is physical, a good skater, good positionally, and carries a lower cap hit that most contenders can absorb short term. He’s a fantastic TDL rental for a contender looking to shore up their D and go on a run. If Dillon is the top Dman available at the TDL then he is going to get more than people think and certainly more than Leafs fans are offering up.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Perhaps I shouldve fixed my quote and made it defenseman worth having

If your editing skills are anything like your player asssessment skills you should probably just save yourself the time.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I hope they get Thornton too then, would say Marleau if San Jose retains all three contracts. But that is if Toronto is for sure cup bound.

What Toronto really, really needs is a proven playoff warrior for the third/fourth line that can help the Leafs get past the first round. Playing I believe worth mentioning are Darren Helm and Ryan Hartman.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
No what you said is, “Dillon sucks on the super weak sharks left side! Vlasic is awful and Ferraro is terrible”

i never said he sucks. i said overall the sharks left side sucks, mainly because vlasic is now garbage ferraro hasnt played well.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
i never said he sucks. i said overall the sharks left side sucks, mainly because vlasic is now garbage ferraro hasnt played well.
Ferraro has actually been damn good for a 21 year old fresh out of college. I’d be very surprised if he isn’t a bonafide top 4 D man in the very near future.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
How about addressing the specifics he’s talk about point by point, rather than posting a 2 line post crapping like you did?

Don’t agree? Fine, but his post was much more articulate than your two line response that boiled down to “nuh uhhhh”.
There’s nothing to address because every point he made was wrong about Sharks Dmen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad