The Star: Toronto Maple Leafs looking for a new face of the franchise

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Don't read it.

Just tell me what he is wrong about.

Ok, one example. Phaneuf did nothing in his first 26 games (and off season as well btw) to deserve the captaincy. Nothing to back that up mind you, with such a damning statement you'd think he had something.

That right there is enough for me. Need me to read the rest to you? Offer stands.... If you're real good, I might even explain it to you.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Ok, one example. Phaneuf did nothing in his first 26 games (and off season as well btw) to deserve the captaincy. Nothing to back that up mind you, with such a damning statement you'd think he had something.

That right there is enough for me. Need me to read the rest to you? Offer stands.... If you're real good, I might even explain it to you.

Dion should never be the Captain of a NHL team.....until he learns that it is not all about him.....the Human Turnstile!

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
The same one you do!

I don't need to wear one. I'm not claiming to have some insight here.

The fact is that he was made captain, and as far as I know currently remains captain. Apparently someone in the know on this team doesn't agree with your beliefs on him. Of course, I'm sure you and Feschuk (and possibly Bomber too) have much more insight into that locker room than MLSE does.

BlueBlood7

Jan 24, 2012
Toronto
Perhaps because Phaneuf is:

1. Dumb. I can't get over the number of stupid decisions he makes, game in and game out, in all areas.

2. A Terrible Skater. Is there another d-man in the entire league who looks so awkward on his skates. Strange stride and he goes off balance on a regular basis.

3. A Terrible Shot. Just horrific accuracy with his shot. How many times does he ring clear point shots off the glass?

4. An Ice Hog. I'm hoping this changes under Carlyle, but Phaneuf just never wanted to come off the ice under Wilson. He was playing far, far too much, especially in key situations and on the PP. He'd just stay out forever. Assume Wilson gave him the leeway to do this, but it sure didn't help either Dion or the team.

5. Spectacularly Overpaid. Enough said. For what Phaneuf brings to the table, he's wildly over-compensated.

6. A Head-Hunter. Going back to Calgary, you could always count on Phaneuf to take his big runs at little guys or softer players who wouldn't get up and beat the crap out of him. He really picks his spots, only lowering the boom on safe players. I've never respected this.

Anyhow, I know I won't convince the fanboys here, but I wasn't a fan of Neon in Calgary and nothing he's done in Toronto has changed my mind.

Sean Avery? Is that you?

Kyle Doobas*

6. A Head-Hunter. Going back to Calgary, you could always count on Phaneuf to take his big runs at little guys or softer players who wouldn't get up and beat the crap out of him. He really picks his spots, only lowering the boom on safe players. I've never respected this.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Perhaps because Phaneuf is:

1. Dumb. I can't get over the number of stupid decisions he makes, game in and game out, in all areas.

2. A Terrible Skater. Is there another d-man in the entire league who looks so awkward on his skates. Strange stride and he goes off balance on a regular basis.

3. A Terrible Shot. Just horrific accuracy with his shot. How many times does he ring clear point shots off the glass?

4. An Ice Hog. I'm hoping this changes under Carlyle, but Phaneuf just never wanted to come off the ice under Wilson. He was playing far, far too much, especially in key situations and on the PP. He'd just stay out forever. Assume Wilson gave him the leeway to do this, but it sure didn't help either Dion or the team.

5. Spectacularly Overpaid. Enough said. For what Phaneuf brings to the table, he's wildly over-compensated.

Anyhow, I know I won't convince the fanboys here, but I wasn't a fan of Neon in Calgary and nothing he's done in Toronto has changed my mind.

I agree that he is a couple of mil overpaid, but everything else is just hater hatin'.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I don't need to wear one. I'm not claiming to have some insight here.

The fact is that he was made captain, and as far as I know currently remains captain. Apparently someone in the know on this team doesn't agree with your beliefs on him. Of course, I'm sure you and Feschuk (and possibly Bomber too) have much more insight into that locker room than MLSE does.

Dion's fairy Godfather just got a can attached to his rear end...... as far as insight in the dressing room goes...Wilson never went in after games....so he knew squat.

We will see just how him and Carlyle get along.....I was looking forward to this before Burke was fired, now even more so. Carlyle is not going out of his way to babysit him. As a hockey player I have no issue with him other then his salary.....but I'm not stroking the cheques.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Dion's fairy Godfather just got a can attached to his rear end...... as far as insight in the dressing room goes...Wilson never went in after games....so he knew squat.

We will see just how him and Carlyle get along.....I was looking forward to this before Burke was fired, now even more so. Carlyle is not going out of his way to babysit him.

Well, somebody told management something.

Good one on the babysitter shot, get that watching sponge on today? ;)

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
Canned question gets a canned response, and Dave Feschuk uses it as a chance to insult a mans intelligence. Can't really blame him, I might be this bitter too if I my career description was sports "journalist".

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Well, somebody told management something.

Good one on the babysitter shot, get that watching sponge on today? ;)

It is common Knowledge that Dion had issues with Schenn, Aulie, and Versteeg. It has been written in the media as well.

Now with Burke gone and Carlyle around the human turnstile will be powerless.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Are we still talking about 10th in league scoring, top corsi on Leafs, 2011-2012 allstar, Captain Dion Phaneuf or is there another one I don't know about?

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
mike-browns-beard-590x590.jpg

^^ My vote for the face of the franchise.

TobyWong

Jul 21, 2010
Amsterdam
So let me get this straight - As a reporter you ask a player a dumb question and get a canned response and *you* are rolling your eyes? How long have you been writing about pro sports?

Phaneuf's IQ is completely irrelevant. There are only a handful of guys in the league who will actually say something interesting/non-canned and they get a lot of grief for doing it (looking at you Bryz). Everyone else just spouts off the same mealy-mouthed media trained responses. Ask a stupid question and you get a stupid response.

P.S. I'm going to miss the way Burke slapped reporters around during press conferences. Dave Nonis is too nice.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Phaneuf cap comparables:

Redden, Wade » 35 NYR 6 2008 2014 $5,000,000 $6,500,000 11.46% $0
Timonen, Kimmo » 37 PHI 6 2007 2013 $3,000,000 $6,333,333 12.59% $166,667
Boyle, Dan » 36 SAN 6 2008 2014 $6,666,666 $6,666,667 11.76% $166,667
Bouwmeester, Jay » 29 CGY 5 2009 2014 $6,600,000 $6,680,000 11.76% $180,000
Campbell, Brian » 33 FLA 8 2008 2016 $7,142,875 $7,142,875 12.60% $642,875
Seabrook, Brent » 27 CHI 5 2011 2016 $7,000,000 $5,800,000 9.02% $700,000
Burns, Brent » 27 SAN 5 2012 2017 $5,760,000 $5,760,000 8.21% $740,000
Suter, Ryan » 27 MIN 13 2012 2025 $12,000,000 $7,538,462 10.74% $1,038,46

Dion is well paid, but not really out of the stratosphere. 12th in D scoring, 9th in D goals, 4th in D PPG, 10th in minutes played.

He's roughly the league's 10th best defenceman, and is paid like it.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Wilson suggests Mats was part of the problem

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Toronto/2008/09/05/6669891-sun.html

And while he was gracious enough to give some thoughtful answers -- through clinched teeth -- his message was definitely mixed.

RESPECTFUL

On one hand, Wilson said he respects Sundin for not rushing back if he is unsure whether or not he wants to play -- adding that he would welcome back the longtime Leafs captain with open arms.

On the other hand, Wilson suggested that one of the problems with the sad-sack Leafs last year was a distinct lack of leadership.

And you don't have to be Howie Meeker to connect the dots there, that leadership is supposed to be one of the major responsibilities of the team captain.

Wilson pointed out that the Leafs last season (15-23 in one-goal games) blew an overt number of leads late in games and that third-period meltdowns often are a result of a leadership void. The Leafs were outscored by 43 goals in the third period.

Further, Wilson also suggested that any team that fails to make the playoffs for three seasons in a row, also had leadership issues. Of course, Sundin happened to be the Leafs captain during those three seasons.

Wilson didn't come right out and say that Sundin is not a great leader, but the inference was there, as was the suggestion that there will be a new captain this season, possibly even a "captain by committee'."

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Toronto isn't like most markets. We don't need a franchise face for the Leafs to be relevant in the city or to its fans. There's no account by anyone inside the locker room (past or present) that says Phaneuf isn't a good captain and isn't outspoken and I would think the most important voices need to be heard inside the locker room, not in front of the camera. Feschuk's articles sounds more like whining that Phaneuf doesn't give the media good sound bites. Last time I checked, it's not a hockey players job to hand stories to the media on a silver platter. It's also not their job to be some big personality. If that's what their personality is like, then great, if not, it's hardly something to criticize.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad