The Star: Toronto Maple Leafs looking for a new face of the franchise

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Toronto Maple Leafs looking for a new face of the franchise: Feschuk

A few reporters asked Leafs captain Dion Phaneuf for his reaction to the firing of Brian Burke. Phaneuf stared into the mountain of cameras and spoke.

“I was definitely shocked,†he said. “That’s the biggest word I could use to describe it.â€
As Phaneuf resaid those words and an army of reporters tried hard not to roll their eyes, a couple of things were abundantly clear. One, just because Burke once spotted the big defenceman a “C†doesn’t mean he’ll be winning a team Scrabble tournament any time soon. And two, now that Burke’s force-of-nature media presence is no longer around to command the Toronto spotlight — at least not after Saturday morning’s Air Canada Centre press conference at which the ex-GM is scheduled to appear — Phaneuf isn’t exactly the favourite to fill the void as the franchise’s new face.

I don't think most of what Feschuk had to say is incorrect. Burke commandeered the media spotlight and without him the players are going to be held accountable in the media spotlight. Feschuk doesn't believe Phaneuf has the ability to be that face of the franchise, or Captain for that matter.

I don't necessarily disagree with him.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
LOL

Chirping Phaneuf hard in this article.

What does Dion have to say about this?

"Classless...is the.......biggest........word.......I can think of........for this article....."

ForzaItalia

Mar 23, 2008
Toronto, ON
Hard to blame Phaneuf for this. Burke and Wilson needed to find a way to appoint a "leader" for the team and thrust Phaneuf into the role.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Hard to blame Phaneuf for this. Burke and Wilson needed to find a way to appoint a "leader" for the team and thrust Phaneuf into the role.

I also find it odd that a player is getting bashed for being named captain what? 2 years ago

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
And how do you keep a job when there's nothing to report? Speculate. He wrote an entire article on the fact that Phaneuf said shocking a couple times.

No he wrote an article based on how dim-witted the man is.

And how Kessel lacks social skills.

And how there is no one else to be a leader and be able to communicate at a baseline level to the media than the comeback kid Joffrey Lupul.

This can't be news to you.

dissociater

Feb 21, 2008
Let me summarize this article for those who can't click the link:

Derka derp, derpaderppapa derp. Derpity Derpitas. Derk derka derp. Herp de derp.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Regardless of if the article is in poor taste, its not wrong. Burke did take the spotlight off the players (largely) and the leadership on the team itself IS relatively weak compared to most teams.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
This guy Feschuk, does go out of his way to slam Phaneuf for something that has nothing to do with his playing ability. Unfair and offlimits, since he is a poor reporter I guess he subscribes to the theory, fans hating him is better than indifference.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto

My line of thinking as well. I don't think it's unfair to call him out given his body of work with the Maple Leafs though. Fortunately for Phaneuf, he may not have to be Team Captain much longer

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Regardless of if the article is in poor taste, its not wrong. Burke did take the spotlight off the players (largely) and the leadership on the team itself IS relatively weak compared to most teams.

Thank You, this is the premise of the article.

Who will take responsibility if the team struggles this season? Wasn't it Phaneuf who skipped out post-game media scrums late last season? Burke won't be around to demand everyone's attention anymore. It is a valid question.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The face of the franchise is something someone earns on recognition and contribution not appointed.

No one has really replaced Mats since his departure in that role. IMO

Leafs For Life*

The face of the franchise is something someone earns on recognition and contribution not appointed.

No one has really replaced Mats since his departure in that role. IMO

Like how Lecavalier is C but Stamkos is obviously the face of the franchise.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I feel bad for Phaneuf.

Sorry to intrude but I don't think you should feel bad for a guy who earns 6.5M bucks for playing hockey and than returns home to a waiting Elisha Cuthbert ;)

The article is over the top but I think it poses a legit question.
Phaneuf and Kessel are two "Burke" guys. He acquired them and he made them lead his team

Now that he is gone, it will be interesting what Nonis will do. I do think that Kessel and Phaneuf were pushed into their roles by Burke.
Will Nonis make a move on this front to get out of the shadow of Burke by maybe trading one of the two or stripping the C off of Dion?

As an outsider, I am very curious what the transition to the Post-Burke era will bring.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
Like how Lecavalier is C but Stamkos is obviously the face of the franchise.

Vinny earned it though. They gave it to him, realized it was a big of a mistake to give him that responsibility out of hype, and let him re-earn it.

While Stamkos is best player, he's not necessarily the face. Vinny won them a cup, a Rocket (like Stamkos), and has been there for 14 years. I'm sure Tampa fans see him just as we saw Mats. (and Stamkos as the heir to the throne)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00