The Star: Toronto Maple Leafs looking for a new face of the franchise

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
Slightly above average?

There are about 210 defencemen in the NHL. "Slightly above average" puts him barely in the top 100, I'd guess.

So, go ahead and name 80 better defencemen for me. 70, even. 30, even.

there are 180 positions available, and since not everyone is a regular, let's say 150 everyday D. So he'd have to be in the top 25-50 to be in that above average but not elite bracket - which is fair. I think he's on the lower end of that scale, personally.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
Perhaps because Phaneuf is:

1. Dumb. I can't get over the number of stupid decisions he makes, game in and game out, in all areas.

2. A Terrible Skater. Is there another d-man in the entire league who looks so awkward on his skates. Strange stride and he goes off balance on a regular basis.

3. A Terrible Shot. Just horrific accuracy with his shot. How many times does he ring clear point shots off the glass?

4. An Ice Hog. I'm hoping this changes under Carlyle, but Phaneuf just never wanted to come off the ice under Wilson. He was playing far, far too much, especially in key situations and on the PP. He'd just stay out forever. Assume Wilson gave him the leeway to do this, but it sure didn't help either Dion or the team.

5. Spectacularly Overpaid. Enough said. For what Phaneuf brings to the table, he's wildly over-compensated.

6. A Head-Hunter. Going back to Calgary, you could always count on Phaneuf to take his big runs at little guys or softer players who wouldn't get up and beat the crap out of him. He really picks his spots, only lowering the boom on safe players. I've never respected this.

Anyhow, I know I won't convince the fanboys here, but I wasn't a fan of Neon in Calgary and nothing he's done in Toronto has changed my mind.

With the way comments have been directed at me with regards to Phaneuf, I was beginning to think I was the only one here who actually watches games. Agreed completely on your assessment, my sentiments exactly on the guy.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
With the way comments have been directed at me with regards to Phaneuf, I was beginning to think I was the only one here who actually watches games. Agreed completely on your assessment, my sentiments exactly on the guy.

You hate everything and anything when it comes to the Leafs. So no one really cares about your opinion

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
there should be multiple faces of the franchise
and you dont necessarily need one guy

Lups deserves a nomination

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Dion Phaneuf seems happier or more open with the media this year. Maybe this is a sign he's maturing into the captaincy and ready to be that face of the franchise? His performance last year was by and large a pretty nice rebound from the previous two seasons. Hopefully he's onto bigger and better things this time around.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Further, Wilson also suggested that any team that fails to make the playoffs for three seasons in a row, also had leadership issues. Of course, Sundin happened to be the Leafs captain during those three seasons.

I didn't realize you were a Wilson supporter, ULF. Carlyle said three days ago there was a problem with a lack of leadership surrounding Dion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad