GDT: Toronto Maple Leafs at Ottawa Senators - 7PM - SN/CBC/TVAS - The Mindset, Dedication and Commitment Edition ™

Senovision

May 23, 2011
I feel like that game was like Example A of why that team is going nowhere if they make the playoffs. I found that very satisfying. I can't imagine being a fan of that team and actually hoping for a different result this year. It might actually be the worst roster they've put together around their baby shit soft core 4 yet.
They might not even make the playoffs this year if a couple of teams that are below them in the standings can get hot....... that is my hope anyways. If they do make the playoffs I agree with you they are one and done.
They are so up against the salary cap next year.
If Giordano retires after this year.... where are they going to find another true pro dman that makes a million dollars a year to fill his shoes next season? ....Lol
They will suck even more next year.
The Leafs are the gift that keeps on giving. They are the Chicago Cubs of the NHL.
60 years of sucking continues and the waste of a generational player in Auston Matthews.

Last edited:
Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Exactly what I thought would happen after the slap shot. However, Reilly is not a fighter & guys are always tougher with a stick in their hand than without one. If Reilly would have dropped the gloves it would have been fun to see Greig give him a dance lesson. :laugh:

Well that's a rational play would have been. You don't like what Greig did? Address it during play. If that's not up to "code" then you challenge him to a fight and away we go. If he turns it down you face wash him and some other stupid shit and move on.

Rielly acted like a punk and I hope he sits for a while. And I hope the Leafs tank without him. :thumbu::thumbu:

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
Well that's a rational play would have been. You don't like what Greig did? Address it during play. If that's not up to "code" then you challenge him to a fight and away we go. If he turns it down you face wash him and some other stupid shit and move on.

Rielly acted like a punk and I hope he sits for a while. And I hope the Leafs tank without him. :thumbu::thumbu:
Yeah that's exactly it, if Reilly dropped the gloves this would be a non issue. That would be enforcing "the code", if you wanna call it that.

Instead a soft ass player from a soft ass team laid a cheapshot with his gloves on and here we are.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
They might not even make the playoffs this year if a couple of teams that are below them in the standings can get hot....... that is my hope anyways. If they do make the playoffs I agree with you they are one and done.
They are so up against the salary cap next year.
If Giordano retires after this year.... where are they going to find another true pro dman that makes a million dollars a year to fill his shoes next season? ....Lol
They will suck even more next year.
The Leafs are the gift that keeps on giving. They are the Chicago Cubs of the NHL.
60 years of sucking continues and the waste of a generational player in Auston Matthews.
I hope they miss too. And continue to trend down, hopefully as we trend up. Beating them in a playoff series would be incredible.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
DoPS ruled no suspension. Rielly just isn't allowed to be on the ice when the Leafs have their goalie pulled for the rest of the season.

• Haha
Reactions: Blotto71

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Read an interesting comment on an article about this. Paraphrasing it. "Keefe, Mathews and Reaves all said it was appropriate. Talk about forcing the leagues hand."

Reactions: Korpse

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It would be hard on my nerves playing them in a playoff series.
Ya, mine too. But it would feel like everything coming full circle if we beat them, especially in the sense of being a tougher, grittier team. Those 4 series' feel like yesterday in a lot of ways.

Them asking JM about the Greig shot was hilarious. Of course, he answered elegantly and basically called it a nothing burger, but he had this look on his face like, dude, do you know who I am or am I legit being asked by someone that doesn't know? I lived this shit!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised, but to see Elliott Friedman also downplay Rielly smashing his stick right into Grieg's face still managed to do so.

There really is no one left with integrity who is employed by Rogers/Bell.

Kelly Hrudey & Craig Button got it right!​

Didn't do it in the last game but he absolutely does the logo pull cele often. Same with the "are you not entertained" crowd taunt.

All apparently ok under the Code.
That's the "Don't Offend Us" Maple Leaf's Code of Dishonour!

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Screenshot_20240213_172619_X.jpg

Reactions: OD99 and DrEasy

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Greig is almost as entertaining as Tkachuk is to watch. :popcorn:

He was quickly becoming on of my favourites before "Clappergate" but he's grown in my eyes by sticking it to the Leafs.

While he's not the physical presence that Tkachuk is, he is an absolute pain in the ass and he plays very well at both ends for a player as inexperienced as he is.

I love watching him play.

Reactions: Blotto71

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Reading the Leafs thread on this is entertaining. A lot of them really believe they're being screwed by this and perpetuate a conspiracy of being picked on lol. Would we be this blind if it were our player that did it?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Reading the Leafs thread on this is entertaining. A lot of them really believe they're being screwed by this and perpetuate a conspiracy of being picked on lol. Would we be this blind if it were our player that did it?

It's crazy but there are some things that should be pointed out.

1) Rielly has no history of this kind of thing.

2) It was not premeditated in that he went out at the start of his shift with Greig in his sights. It was in the heat of the moment.

and probably most relevant (depending on what Rielly gets),

3) The NHL DoPS has been quite bad historically with their supplementary discipline. Some pretty bad crosschecks to the head have been given only a game or two. They are inconsistent to say the least.

So there are some points in favour of a shorter suspension.

All that being said it was a direct shot to a players head, with a stick, after the play (and game) was over. It's not a hockey play and they should throw the book at him. I'd give him and anyone else who does stuff this stupid 10 games. They'll never get this crap out of the game if they don't make the penalties substantial

I suspect he gets 3-5.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It's crazy but there are some things that should be pointed out.

1) Rielly has no history of this kind of thing.

2) It was not premeditated in that he went out at the start of his shift with Greig in his sights. It was in the heat of the moment.

and probably most relevant (depending on what Rielly gets),

3) The NHL DoPS has been quite bad historically with their supplementary discipline. Some pretty bad crosschecks to the head have been given only a game or two. They are inconsistent to say the least.

So there are some points in favour of a shorter suspension.

All that being said it was a direct shot to a players head, with a stick, after the play (and game) was over. It's not a hockey play and they should throw the book at him. I'd give him and anyone else who does stuff this stupid 10 games. They'll never get this crap out of the game if they don't make the penalties substantial

I suspect he gets 3-5.
I think it's 6+. In person hearing seems to make minimum 5 pretty likely.

I hear point 1, but I think it was malicious enough that won't get him a huge reduction. I think that's the sort of thing where if he did have a history, he'd be looking at 10-15 here.

Point 2 I would dispute somewhat. It was pre-meditated in some sense in that he skated after him and did it. Sure, not planned from the bench, but definitely walking the line on calling it the heat of the moment with that travel distance. Not quite like Perron turning around and whack imo.

Definitely don't dispute point 3. They're all over the map, so could be anyone's guess, but I do think there's details that move the needle on this one. This was a non violent provoked incident, so some perceived bad sportsmanship was met with violence, which could be a factor in that it's not like retaliating against something egregious or defending a teammate.

And most of all, I don't agree with injury or lack thereof entering the equation, nor do I buy the riding up the arm argument whatsoever. I've watched it as many times as I can from the angles available and if it did, it's very minor and was still likely to contact him high up dangerously.

I agree, I'd throw the book at him. Sets a terrible precedent imo not to here.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The victim syndrome runs deep, Reeves was lamenting how a kid can get away with... Shooting a puck in the En in a disrespectful manner, and now they'll be without their top D for 6 or however many games. Apparently a crosscheck to the face is getting away with it, and also Rielly getting suspended was completely unavoidable since he had no other recourse to Greig's actions aside from, checks notes, letting him get away with it by cross-checking him in the face...

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa

Not a big hit to Toronto's playoff drive, IMO. Their next five games are Blues, Flyers, Ducks, Blues, Coyotes. Rielly's back in time for Knights, Avalanche, Knights.

The punishment's about right, imo, if we're comparing it to Perron's cross-check on Zub.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad