Prediction Contest: Toronto Maple Leafs 2018-2019: Contender or Pretender?

This season, are the Leafs contender or pretender?

• Total voters

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I wanted to believe this year, I really did. But the combination of questionable coaching and terrible defense means this team won't be going far. We need to make some changes and next year we should make some noise.

But once Matthews and marner increase from less than $2 million of our cap hit to well over $20 million,won’t we be worse off when it comes to defensive depth and stuff?

HOF Paul Henderson

Jan 16, 2019
But once Matthews and marner increase from less than $2 million of our cap hit to well over $20 million,won’t we be worse off when it comes to defensive depth and stuff?

We’re not the only team in the league that will have trouble keeping a team together for the next 7 years, while our best guys hit their prime.

During that window, all we need is one year where we’re just slightly better than our opponents, enough to win.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
We’re not the only team in the league that will have trouble keeping a team together for the next 7 years, while our best guys hit their prime.

During that window, all we need is one year where we’re just slightly better than our opponents, enough to win.
Only the leafs apparently have to overpay them all.

Boston paid their proven 34 goal/70 point player a similar cap percentage that we gave our proven 20 goal/60 point player.

And now, by all accounts, we have to pay our 69 point career high player the same as another team paid their proven 100 point Hart trophy winner.

I’m sorry, it’s just not sustainable.

Last edited:

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Can this team honestly win one round?

Doubtful at this point. The whole entitled mentality has to change

They need to go out there and earn it.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Team should be a contender. Their lack of focus, preparation and unwillingness to do the hard work like winning board battles and playing responsible two way hockey will probably do them in though in the playoffs.

They seem like a clear cut case of a team that still thinks their skill alone is enough.

God, I hope they prove me wrong though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad