Prediction Contest: Toronto Maple Leafs 2018-2019: Contender or Pretender?

This season, are the Leafs contender or pretender?

• Total voters

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
A lot of talk recently on this forum; about players getting booed; team not solid while others think underlying stats are good and it is only a matter of time. Cannot gauge what majority of the fans think at least on HF - Hence the Poll

What are the playoff predictions for this season?

1. Leafs are contenders - that will contend for the cup
  2. Leafs will have a deep playoff run at least ECF
  3. Leafs are pretenders but will at least make it to the 2nd round
  4. Leafs will have another first round exit
  5. Leafs will not qualify for the playoffs

At least, after voting one would have an idea as to what majority of Leafs fans (at least on HF) think about this season

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Leafs should make the playoffs....those remaining games with Mtl and Buffalo might just decide positioning.
The Leafs have a bunch of games in the last few week. I think it’s three or four weeks that they’ll play four games in the week and there are a few back to backs. That alone makes me think it’s going to be very hard to duplicated the first half point totals.

The goal was to win a round this year, but that’ll difficult without a few changes to the lineup.

I think they’ll win a round.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Leafs should make the playoffs....those remaining games with Mtl and Buffalo might just decide positioning.
The Leafs have a bunch of games in the last few week. I think it’s three or four weeks that they’ll play four games in the week and there are a few back to backs. That alone makes me think it’s going to be very hard to duplicated the first half point totals.

The goal was to win a round this year, but that’ll difficult without a few changes to the lineup.

I think they’ll win a round.
Was the goal to only win one round after a 105 point season? I would have thought their goal was to win the division and go deep into the playoffs. I don’t see that happning now with the way Tampa is playing but the way they started the season ...

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Was the goal to only win one round after a 105 point season? I would have thought their goal was to win the division and go deep into the playoffs. I don’t see that happning now with the way Tampa is playing but the way they started the season ...

105 points means nothing in the 3 point world.
Perhaps I should word it this way; winning a round would be considered a successful season. Losing in the first round would be OK, not making the playoffs would be considered a slight step back.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
105 points means nothing in the 3 point world.
Perhaps I should word it this way; winning a round would be considered a successful season. Losing in the first round would be OK, not making the playoffs would be considered a slight step back.
I expect more and I’m sure losing in the first round for the third year in a row would not be acceptable to them either. With this much talent, they need to show that they can win in the playoffs.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I expect more and I’m sure losing in the first round for the third year in a row would not be acceptable to them either. With this much talent, they need to show that they can win in the playoffs.

The problem is the other teams have talent as well. Of the possible likely first round matchups I’d rate their chances of winning

1Boston 50/50
2 columbus 50/50
3 Wash 40/60
4 Pitt 30/70
5 TPA 20/80

I don’t think they’d get Montreal Buff or the Isles.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Going by the poll options, I'd say pretender. Think they'll move forward and make it to the 2nd round. That would still be a step ahead compared to last year, even if it's not as much of one as hoped for.

Reactions: Lauro

WilliamInLondon

Mar 24, 2016
an equally interesting poll would be, "what is the minimum that the Leafs would have to achieve for you to define their season as successful?"

for me personally, three things*:

- win round 1
- go down swinging in round 2
- no fluke wins, but show legitimate growth from the core/key players that they've taken another step in the playoffs this year.

* - assuming that the roster stays intact. if the future is mortgaged for win-now mode, then expectations will increase accordingly. if Gardiner is dealt for assets whose sum of contributions is less than Gardiner, my expectations above remain the same - fair or not.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
an equally interesting poll would be, "what is the minimum that the Leafs would have to achieve for you to define their season as successful?"

for me personally, three things*:

- win round 1
- go down swinging in round 2
- no fluke wins, but show legitimate growth from the core/key players that they've taken another step in the playoffs this year.

* - assuming that the roster stays intact. if the future is mortgaged for win-now mode, then expectations will increase accordingly. if Gardiner is dealt for assets whose sum of contributions is less than Gardiner, my expectations above remain the same - fair or not.

With the way the schedule sets up for them in the 2nd half getting home ice would also be considered a successful season. They played OK in the first half but if they want to finish at least 2nd they’ll have to play a lot better which would show some improvement.
Now if the rest of the division caves and they sneak into 2nd then I won’t necessarily say they improved.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Its hard to say. They have the talent to be contenders, but ultimately I think the personnel needs some changes to be a true contender in the playoffs.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'm not sure this team can win a round in the playoffs against a team like Boston. The D needs major work, the stretch pass breakout has been a mistake, and the compete level is lacking in many players. All's not doom and gloom though, the Leafs have some players with huge potential, but they have many holes to fill, another 1st round exit might actually help the team address said holes, it's not like they can ignore them is it?

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Like experience maybe... Like every other Stanley Cup Champion ?

I was referring to their lack of toughness and some players unwillingness to compete. This will be the 3rd playoffs for these guys, so they are gaining experience, I just don't think they have the right make-up to be a true contender.

Reactions: Trawna Phan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad