Friedman: "Toronto is making A LOT of calls right now"

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Can't be. After the Nylander fiasco and the Matthews contract blunder he is up for bonehead GM of the year.

Ummmm did you even read my post? I said if he landed Nylander at 5-5.5 he would have been celebrated.

As it currently stands a lot to be desired out of his negotiating skills with our young stars!

member 300185

Ummmm did you even read my post? I said if he landed Nylander at 5-5.5 he would have been celebrated.

As it currently stands a lot to be desired out of his negotiating skills with our young stars!
I read it, I was referencing the opposite. We are on the same page.

Leaf4Life79

Jun 30, 2018
St. Thomas, ON
I told everyone back then that the 3rd year on the Marleau deal would come back and bite them in the a**!!!

Well... Jumbo Joe said he is going to play next season... Can we get him to go back to San Jose to play out the remainder of his contract with his buddy, perhaps retire together? Win Win for Patrick!

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
moving Matthews for Jones+?
Take off the plus and IDK if we do it but fair.
Brown for a 2nd WTF

:huh: how could you not be happy with this

A 2nd for Brown is the most realistic proposal I've seen for the Leafs clearing some cap space.
Yea IdK how people are angry about that I'd say the 2nd is like MAX. I'd think similar player or 3rd lower prospect type deal. 2nd isnt bad at all.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Oh?

Past 3 seasons Hayes and Nylander bot have 148 points despite Nylander 60% oZs and Hayes 57% dZs...Hayes also on Rangers - rebuilder - while Nylander been with bonafide studs in Matthews, Tarver, Marner, and strong supporting cast in Kapanen, Kadri, and AJ.

Sure, keep telling yourself Nylander is some game changer XD XD XD

That signing was not a good idea. Should've traded him...and I think Nylander is better than Marner, but now Marner is going to get PAID.

The first problem with your theory is that Nylander was not awarded his contract based on last year's partial season but on the seasons leading up to it.

The second problem is you miss that he spent a fair bit of time playing on lower lines as opposed to where you think he did (even his first year he played a chunk of it on a 100% rookie line), and most of that cast you mentioned wasn't even on the team during the period for which his contract was determined (literally half the guys you mentioned).

Despite all those things he still managed 10% better production by the age of 21 than Hayes to 27.

For the record, I was in the minority supporting trading him. Not because I wanted him gone but because they have enough firepower and he could solidify the D.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
moving Matthews for Jones+?

Both are great players and Columbus would be lucky to get Matthews.

I doubt Columbus would trade Jones for Matthews even up. Jones is a top 5-10 defenseman in the NHL on a sweetheart deal @ 5.4 million through 22.
Matthews is more than twice as much @ $11.6 million and is beginning to look injury prone.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
The first problem with your theory is that Nylander was not awarded his contract based on last year's partial season but on the seasons leading up to it.

The second problem is you miss that he spent a fair bit of time playing on lower lines as opposed to where you think he did (even his first year he played a chunk of it on a 100% rookie line), and most of that cast you mentioned wasn't even on the team during the period for which his contract was determined (literally half the guys you mentioned).

Despite all those things he still managed 10% better production by the age of 21 than Hayes to 27.

For the record, I was in the minority supporting trading him. Not because I wanted him gone but because they have enough firepower and he could solidify the D.

I like Nylander, hes a good Top 6W.

Hes just not worlds better than Hayes...yet. He will get there eventually, but it seems disingenuous to suggest that when they have the exact same point production the past 3 seasons...Hayes was on a playoff team for like 20 games the past 3 seasons while Nylander spent the entire length on a playoff team..

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I like Nylander, hes a good Top 6W.

Hes just not worlds better than Hayes...yet. He will get there eventually, but it seems disingenuous to suggest that when they have the exact same point production the past 3 seasons...Hayes was on a playoff team for like 20 games the past 3 seasons while Nylander spent the entire length on a playoff team..

Again, last season has no bearing on Nylander's contract.

What is disingenuous is to suggest Nylander walked onto a playoff team and was spoonfed minutes with all stars. Nylander walked onto the last place overall team (which featured 7 rookies.....literally 1/3 of the team) and half the guys you mentioned were not on the team when he put up the numbers he did to get his contract (all by the age of 21). He also spent fair chunks of time on the lower lines.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Again, last season has no bearing on Nylander's contract.

What is disingenuous is to suggest Nylander walked onto a playoff team and was spoonfed minutes with all stars. Nylander walked onto the last place overall team (which featured 7 rookies.....literally 1/3 of the team) and half the guys you mentioned were not on the team when he put up the numbers he did to get his contract (all by the age of 21). He also spent fair chunks of time on the lower lines.

He had Marner, Kadri, and oh yeah...Auston Matthews as well as probably the best coach in the league, Mike Babcock.

This past season ABSOLUTELY counts. Nylander had great advanced metrics despite poor scoring outcomes. I'd bet on a return to 50-65 points and possibly more if Marner is traded or signed elsewhere.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
He had Marner, Kadri, and oh yeah...Auston Matthews as well as probably the best coach in the league, Mike Babcock.

This past season ABSOLUTELY counts. Nylander had great advanced metrics despite poor scoring outcomes. I'd bet on a return to 50-65 points and possibly more if Marner is traded or signed elsewhere.
Yes, Marner, Matthews were also rookies Reilly was only 22 (not a rookie though) obviously Kadri and Babcock were not. Still Nylander is a better player than Hayes. What is Boesser going to sign for 8.5?

BooRadley

Aug 7, 2007
I'm in the let him get offer sheeted and we take the picks camp. If not, sit the year. I'd even be okay trading him for whatever is his value.

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
Who is going through menopause currently...
thinking-face_1f914.png

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
First mistake was Tavares at 11. Set the bar for Matthews and Marner.

i don't think that was a mistake, that was a choice. it was a big choice in changing the organization's direction but that choice should have come with the acceptance one of the '3' had to go

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Brown for Benning makes a lot of sense for both sides. Maybe a slight add from TO as RHD >>> winger

i don't believe this would help - benning would get eaten alive there. he's no better than using marincin in my opinion

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Oh? The two years prior to signing he had the 14th most points for RW and signed at 10th highest cap. Seems reasonable enough. Meanwhile a guy who would be 98th among C just signed as 17th highest paid C.....literally just outside top half of 1 C. Maybe someone will sign Gardiner as a top 10 C?

the hayes reference is not relevant - i believe the correct move in that moment would be to have let nylander sit. you give a 60 point forward a huge deal - you give the golden boy with 3 solid offensive seasons ridiculous money and you leave your best player until now

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Hey, please don't offer sheet our players.

I think that's cheating

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Toronto is making so many calls right now, that Dubas just called me! He didn't want to miss calling someone!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad