Friedman: "Toronto is making A LOT of calls right now"

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Try harder? Marleau has an NMC and the Leafs get hit with the 6.25 unless he waives it. So, Marleau has no reason to accept a trade to a rebuilding team. He can just take the money and sit at home.

Sorry, but I don’t think you are remotely up to speed on this.

Marleau WANTS to move, to be closer to his family. They are SELLING their only home in Toronto to move.

If he doesn’t accept a reasonable trade, Leafs will make it clear he won’t play at their expense, that he will play 4th line minutes and will sit out when management sees fit, as they need to do what is best for the Leafs, iron man streak be damned...

.... but it doesn’t need to be so acrimonious on either side. Marleau is a class act and Toronto has treated him with the utmost of respect that he deserves. I have no doubt they will work together to do what is best for both. There is no need for spite in try to do what’s right for both parties.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
NMC means nothing when the player wants to move, and I’m pretty sure there are other teams in the NHL than SJ. It’s already been reported that Arizona and LA are destinations that Marleau is ok with. Who knows where else a motivated Marleau would agree to move to if Dubas found a fit.

...... but ignore everything that doesn’t fit your narrow narrative. It’s amusing.

..... and please try using your own big boy words in your comebacks, and not copy mine.
Sportsnet: - Marleau only wants to play in SJ, will require direct trade or trade to team who buys him out.

Marleau apparently doesn't want Arizona or LA. He wants SJ. Meaning he needs to be at league minimum for SJ to afford him. Meaning a trade elsewhere requires a team to buy him out and take on a 6.2M caphit for a guy they wont use. I'm sorry but low round picks are not moving that contract. GM's know toronto is in trouble and they will be getting a high pick or Kapanen/Johnsson contracts if they are eating that much of a caphit for 0 production.

Sorry this doesn't fit your narrow narrative.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Unfair to his teammates?! You're kidding right?? Marner needs to be fair to one person... himself. You surely didn't see Tavares and Matthews settle for less just so the Leafs could spread the wealth.

The chance to get Matthews, Nylander and Marner to take less was getting Tavares to come in for like 10... clearly making a statement that it's such an honor to play for the Leafs, even an established star like him would take less to do so. Once he signed for the 2nd largest cap hit in the NHL behind McDavid, all of that went out the window. Nylander and Matthews landed mega deals and Marner wants his now. Why should Marner have to be the one to settle for less? Because the Leafs saved him for last? No thanks.

It was for Nylander last year. Fans on here were saying the Leafs shouldn't go more than 5 or 5.5. Nylander got what he wanted and the Leafs wasted a year giving in, when they could have just paid him that at jump and got on with it. It was a game of chicken that drug out for no good reason. Oh wait, the Leafs may have saved $100,000 considering it was reported Nylander wanted 7 mil day one.

So, yes, all things considered, Nylander got top dollar in that situation.

The Hayes contract is its own level of ridiculousness. I won't argue that, and I'm a Flyers fan.

I'm far from a Leafs hater, for the record. In fact, the Leafs are among my top-5 favorite teams. But I am a realist. I'm a Flyers fan first and I have no problem ripping Fletcher for the Hayes deal, etc. I call it like I see it... many Flyers fans on here don't like that either.

Bolded is wrong. You're kinda being an example of someone who speaks as if they're acquainted with the details while only having a foggy idea about the topic. I say that because of the numerous details you got wrong that are well known facts.

For example, Tavares turned down more money from atleast two teams, thus providing a discount. And in hindsight, 11M on his 3rd contract for one of the best Centres in the league is a really good deal - especially considering Skinner got 9M and Panarin will certainly get 11M himself.

Another example is that Nylander was asking 8.5M, not 7M. And Leafs fans wanted him at exactly what most media had his value pegged at, which was around what Dubas wanted - which was 6-6.5M. Coming from 8.5M to 6.9M (actual dollars after bonus is 4-something) is pretty good, especially so after seeing what Hayes, Kane, JVR got.

Matthews is by far the most talented player on our team, not Marner, and Tavares had the best year (he didn't go pointless for more than 2 games at any time - that's McDavid level consistency).

Mitch is my favourite Leaf, or I should say was as I'm 90% sure he's not coming back, I could go on for an hour about his skillset and how fantastic a player he is. But he wasn't our best player (in spite of compiling 6 more point than JT), nor our most talented.

Marner doesnt have to settle for less, but some players do because they recognize it allows their GM to have the flexibility to improve the team - in order to compete for a Cup which is supposed to be the big goal. As a local who's been vocal about growing up a Leafs fan, and how much it means to him to wear the sweater, it's disappointing he's not of that mindset.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Your problem is Fletcher is more than likely not going to be in on Brown.

I have faith in Holland's ability to see the potential in Brown. He certainly saw something in Ericsson well past his sell by date.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Sportsnet: - Marleau only wants to play in SJ, will require direct trade or trade to team who buys him out.

Marleau apparently doesn't want Arizona or LA. He wants SJ. Meaning he needs to be at league minimum for SJ to afford him. Meaning a trade elsewhere requires a team to buy him out and take on a 6.2M caphit for a guy they wont use. I'm sorry but low round picks are not moving that contract. GM's know toronto is in trouble and they will be getting a high pick or Kapanen/Johnsson contracts if they are eating that much of a caphit for 0 production.

Sorry this doesn't fit your narrow narrative.

Well said. Not sure why SJ would even take him on to begin with. They have their own cap problems as it is.

The only way Marleau leaves Toronto is if the Leafs trade him to someone besides the Sharks and he gets bought out and then signs for minimum. In that case, something of great value would have to be traded with him for a team to take on the cap hit for buying him out. No team will just do the Leafs a favor without something of note in return.

The only way I see this getting done for Marleau is what was stated above.... San Jose doesn’t have the cap room to trade for him straight up. Nor would anyone for that matter with how much his cap hit is.

The only scenario is for the Leafs to trade him to a team with a bunch of cap space. In that case, they will need to attach a pretty good asset or draft pick along with him to incentivize that said team.

Truthfully, in my honest opinion, their best bet is to just let Marner go and take the 4 1st rounders and then sign a much more cheap winger who can at least replicate a portion of his numbers.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis

Marleau WANTS to move, to be closer to his family. They are SELLING their only home in Toronto to move.

If he doesn’t accept a reasonable trade, Leafs will make it clear he won’t play at their expense, that he will play 4th line minutes and will sit out when management sees fit, as they need to do what is best for the Leafs, iron man streak be damned...

.... but it doesn’t need to be so acrimonious on either side. Marleau is a class act and Toronto has treated him with the utmost of respect that he deserves. I have no doubt they will work together to do what is best for both. There is no need for spite in try to do what’s right for both parties.
I am totally up to speed on this. I do not believe he is forcing his way out of Toronto. I believe it is the other way around. It is a face saving move for Patty. The proof will be in the pudding. He will play in either Toronto or San Jose this year, or he won't play at all. That is my belief.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Bolded is wrong. You're kinda being an example of someone who speaks as if they're acquainted with the details while only having a foggy idea about the topic. I say that because of the numerous details you got wrong that are well known facts.

For example, Tavares turned down more money from atleast two teams, thus providing a discount. And in hindsight, 11M on his 3rd contract for one of the best Centres in the league is a really good deal - especially considering Skinner got 9M and Panarin will certainly get 11M himself.

Another example is that Nylander was asking 8.5M, not 7M. And Leafs fans wanted him at exactly what most media had his value pegged at, which was around what Dubas wanted - which was 6-6.5M. Coming from 8.5M to 6.9M (actual dollars after bonus is 4-something) is pretty good, especially so after seeing what Hayes, Kane, JVR got.

Matthews is by far the most talented player on our team, not Marner, and Tavares had the best year (he didn't go pointless for more than 2 games at any time - that's McDavid level consistency).

Mitch is my favourite Leaf, or I should say was as I'm 90% sure he's not coming back, I could go on for an hour about his skillset and how fantastic a player he is. But he wasn't our best player (in spite of compiling 6 more point than JT), nor our most talented.

Marner doesnt have to settle for less, but some players do because they recognize it allows their GM to have the flexibility to improve the team - in order to compete for a Cup which is supposed to be the big goal. As a local who's been vocal about growing up a Leafs fan, and how much it means to him to wear the sweater, it's disappointing he's not of that mindset.
This is a dam good post.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada

I would rather lose my iron man streak than 6.25 million dollars. Plus it hurts Toronto way more by not having that 6.25 mil to work with, I don't think you're up to speed here.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I'm sure they are Friedman as is everyone. They have players to sign and a salary cap to make.

Great article headline

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Why should he be of that mindset if no one else on the team was? 11 million dollars is not a paycut for Tavares and Matthews lol! Nylander got what he deserved maybe even a little more, he didn't take a paycut either.

member 300185

No Leaf fans was saying 5-5.5, that’s just crazy. Most were suggesting Ehlers to Pasta’s numbers which would put him between 6-6.66. His agent wanted 8.5. He got 6.9 which IMO is about 500K too much. Not terrible but in this NHL every dollar counts.

If we got Nylander for 5-5.5 Dubas would win executive of the year.
Can't be. After the Nylander fiasco and the Matthews contract blunder he is up for bonehead GM of the year.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I want a big blockbuster deal with lots of pieces and drama on draft day.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
And why’s that? We’ve made the playoffs 3 years in a row lol. I think we’re in for a nice long run. One could argue the jets could a trainwreck based on their recent moves...

The Jets are a hit or miss, Toronto I think chokes this season under Babcock, plus Florida, Montreal, Boston and Tampa are going to likely have good seasons which means Toronto could be pushed out.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I would rather lose my iron man streak than 6.25 million dollars. Plus it hurts Toronto way more by not having that 6.25 mil to work with, I don't think you're up to speed here.

Didn’t say it was ideal. Never liked that 3rd year from the get-go, and that was before the incredible deterioration in Marleau’s game last season.

Simply saying Dubas will keep Marleau and arrange salary elsewhere, rather than give up a top prospect or a high draft pick to move one year of Marleau, as so many here seem so desperate to have happen. Ultimately, he can play 4th like minutes, which may improve his production, while continuing to be a great veteran influence, and giving him a chance to be on a competitive team for perhaps his last year as a player.

Not sure what’s so unreasonable in that....?

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Why should he be of that mindset if no one else on the team was? 11 million dollars is not a paycut for Tavares and Matthews lol! Nylander got what he deserved maybe even a little more, he didn't take a paycut either.

If he should is a matter of opinion, why he should in my opinion is because he is a local, a fan himself, and wants to be considered a leader on the team. I wouldn't have those expectations of a Swede and American with no pre-existing and vocal love affair with the team. I dont have those expectations of Matthews, but I'm also okay with trading Matthews for not having those qualities. I'd rather a team of middle six grunts over these spoiled stars if it gets us any closer to a Cup.

11M on his 3rd contract, Marner wants 11.5M on his 2nd, and Tavares was offered more from other team... he literally took less to play in Toronto, so don't post at me if all you got is unresearched nonsense and LOLZ, bruh.

member 300185

The Jets are a hit or miss, Toronto I think chokes this season under Babcock, plus Florida, Montreal, Boston and Tampa are going to likely have good seasons which means Toronto could be pushed out.

Thats hilarious!! And why do you think Montreal and Florida are going to have good seasons? Price got them to within a point of the playoffs with an absolute crap show of a team last season. That team will be much worse. And Florida....come on. All sorts of tools, no tool box. Leafs will be much better than both of those teams. Just compare cores. The leafs were one game from knocking out the Stanley cup runners up.

Don't be a "the sky is falling" poster.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
If he should is a matter of opinion, why he should in my opinion is because he is a local, a fan himself, and wants to be considered a leader on the team. I wouldn't have those expectations of a Swede and American with no pre-existing and vocal love affair with the team. I dont have those expectations of Matthews, but I'm also okay with trading Matthews for not having those qualities. I'd rather a team of middle six grunts over these spoiled stars if it gets us any closer to a Cup.

11M on his 3rd contract, Marner wants 11.5M on his 2nd, and Tavares was offered more from other team... he literally took less to play in Toronto, so don't post at me if all you got is unresearched nonsense and LOLZ, bruh.
Matthews is the second highest paid forward in the NHL, Tavares is the 3rd and neither are top 5 forwards...... How is that a discount? There is some research. I don't care what contract they are on they are both top 3 highest paid forwards in the entire NHL.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
Thats hilarious!! And why do you think Montreal and Florida are going to have good seasons? Price got them to within a point of the playoffs with an absolute crap show of a team last season. That team will be much worse. And Florida....come on. All sorts of tools, no tool box. Leafs will be much better than both of those teams. Just compare cores. The leafs were one game from knocking out the Stanley cup runners up.

Don't be a "the sky is falling" poster.

Why do you think Montreal will have a bad season? Montreal has lost Jordie Benn from last season, while they are likely to see contributions from Poehling and or Suzuki. They have money to use this summer, and except for Weber and Price, their core is very young and improving. Now Toronto is a better team on paper, but they only managed 4 more points than Montreal. They've also lost Gardiner, and are likely to lose more pieces to be able to fit under the cap. With a little bad luck with injuries, it is entirely possible that Toronto get knocked out of the playoffs. They're still the better team, but the standings show that the difference isn't as vast as the rosters might lead us to believe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad