Friedman: "Toronto is making A LOT of calls right now"

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
4 late 1st round picks from a contender theoretically?
4 late 1sts and cap space better than 12 million dollars for a winger who hasn't proven he can produce without elite talent around him. There's going to be one stupid GM out there who offers 13x8 and messes up his team's cap structure and future

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
No surprise, they need cap room if they plan to keep Marner. Also a 1st rounder would be nice for them to get as well.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
For a player of his calibre I would keep the player unless it is a rebuilding team offering picks. The odds of grabbing a few Pastrnaks late aren't great.
Nothing says you need to use the picks as picks...they can be bullets in other trades. I love Marner as a player, but if he's shooting for 11+? Then i let him go to whomever offersheets him.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Didn’t say it was ideal. Never liked that 3rd year from the get-go, and that was before the incredible deterioration in Marleau’s game last season.

Simply saying Dubas will keep Marleau and arrange salary elsewhere, rather than give up a top prospect or a high draft pick to move one year of Marleau, as so many here seem so desperate to have happen. Ultimately, he can play 4th like minutes, which may improve his production, while continuing to be a great veteran influence, and giving him a chance to be on a competitive team for perhaps his last year as a player.

Not sure what’s so unreasonable in that....?
It's incredibly unreasonable. You can't afford to have Marleau on the books at all. You're handcuffed and if you think Marleau playing 4th line minutes hurts him more than him being on the books hurts you, you're going to have a rough next season.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Matthews is the second highest paid forward in the NHL, Tavares is the 3rd and neither are top 5 forwards...... How is that a discount? There is some research. I don't care what contract they are on they are both top 3 highest paid forwards in the entire NHL.

Look at the contracts being handed out. The landscape is changing. That wont last long... We already see the best player in the world making the most in the league and the contract was signed a long time ago. Wait til other top players start getting out of their contracts they are half way through.

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
The Jets are a hit or miss, Toronto I think chokes this season under Babcock, plus Florida, Montreal, Boston and Tampa are going to likely have good seasons which means Toronto could be pushed out.

So no real reasons besides you think so? True.

O wait Montreal doing well is your reason? Lmao.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Look at the contracts being handed out. The landscape is changing. That wont last long... We already see the best player in the world making the most in the league and the contract was signed a long time ago. Wait til other top players start getting out of their contracts they are half way through.
Exactly why Marner is asking for a reasonable amount then? lol thank you for proving my point.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'm hearing the Leafs are closing in on a trade. Expected to happen within the next 12 days or so.

Reactions: Joel Ward

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg

Thats hilarious!! And why do you think Montreal and Florida are going to have good seasons? Price got them to within a point of the playoffs with an absolute crap show of a team last season. That team will be much worse. And Florida....come on. All sorts of tools, no tool box. Leafs will be much better than both of those teams. Just compare cores. The leafs were one game from knocking out the Stanley cup runners up.

Don't be a "the sky is falling" poster.

Yeah... Quenneville coaching them, plus potentially Bob and Panarin, with Barkov and co.

I expect Montreal to be better next season, have all the tools.

Toronto looks dysfunctional being lead by Babcock. Think he gets fired at the end of next season.

I didn't say Ottawa now, they're bound for the basement.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
As good as a player as Marner is, Leafs would probably be better trading him / taking the 4 first rounders they would get via offer sheet (Thats if the cap hit is at 11.5m or whatever). Saves us a lot of cap and you can always upgrade the team using all those first round picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad