Sportsnet: Toronto interested in Bernier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warrior16

Apr 30, 2010
Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider 1m

Jonathan Bernier has been traded to Toronto for Matt Frattin, Ben Scrivens, and a second round pick in 2014 or 2015 (Toronto's option)

Not sure how valid, but just saw it on twitter

Just saw this too, interesting for sure.

ALine

May 14, 2012
Leiweke is NOT a hockey guy. He's a businessman and that's where it ends. He used to run the Denver Nuggets and was "the guy" teams went to when they were after new arenas, etc. Much like Tom Wilson was for the Pistons/Lightning but at a whole new level.

I agree, I don't see the Leiweke link here. He. Was brought in the get the basketball side of MLSE in order. He is unlikely to tinker with his money making machine, while he turns the raptors into a more respectable franchise in the NBA. Raptors really get to play above their pay grade because of the leafs. I doubt he's to worried about the leafs.

I'm not to familiar with his work in LA, but I understand his legacy was the whole LA Live thing. That includes making the teams there something people want to watch. In LA, its the Lakers money making machine that they didn't need to tamper with, while they use that to improve their second/third tier team, and make them more relevant in their league. Just in LA, its hockey that needed help, in Toronto its basketball.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
A goalies rebound control is a factor in shots against and getting a goalie that might improve in that area, by catching more shots cleanly or directing shots away from dangerous areas or shooting lanes might be the very reason behind Nonis pursuing Bernier.

While our defense needs improvement, you can't ignore the high number of block shots that the present group does provide to assist the goalie and actually brings the shots against down in the process also. Its offset of course by the Leafs defense unable to move the puck out of the their own zone and give-aways that creating more opponent shots and scoring chances. The forwards are not without blame because its their defensive responsibilities to assist in clearing the zone.

Maybe your most down to earth and 100% correct post. :p: I will also like to add is that the defensive scheme that Carlyle had employed was designed to give up shots from the perimeter which was in fact the majority of the shots the goalies faced all season long thus the save% numbers the goalies have is kind of inflated IMO.

The D has been unfairly maligned this season. They did a great job protecting the goalies from facing shots from within the hash marks in the slot and did fairly well in front of them in clearing rebounds.

May I also add that the Leafs offensively there weakness to sustain the offensive cycle is what gives them a problem defensively. There line changes aren't crisp and clean in result of the fairly weak cycle game they get caught with tired legs that leads to getting hemmed in. It's then magnified even more cause the great Reimer has issues freezing pucks dead into his body X10 leaving glove hand rebounds that makes things even worst when the legs in front of him are burning on fire.

The 2nd period was the Leafs worst period this year do to the long change and constantly not being able to change the D cause of the weakness to sustain the cycle so the D can make clean line changes. We may all like to think the issue is the defense core but improving the Leafs offensive cycle game will have a huge impact on defense cause getting caught with tired legs on the ice would be cut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad