GDT: Toronto @ Detroit, Saturday September 29, 7:00 PM, Sportsnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
So when the President and Coach tell you something, you just ignore them and make up your own fantasy account? Wowzers.

So when Shanahan said that they're letting go of Lou Lamoriello, did you think he was just lying? Do you think that Lamoriello is still the gm? Shanahan and Babcock have just been lying this whole time? wow. I guess you wouldn't want to be a puppet and believe what Shanahan and Babcock have to say.
the president or coach can say whatever the hell they want, i dont care, if they say something i dont agree with i dont agree, plain and simple, if i agree i agree. If you think just because babs is a coach that he can do no wrong, your a fool. bit of news for you, babs is human, he makes mistakes like everyone else. you got your own mind? use it!

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I'm complaining that we didn't show patience and finish the rebuild. I was SPECIFICALLY told to prepare for pain. But it OF ****ING COURSE got rushed. Mlse knows no other way. Now our defence is a joke. Hope you're happy...

So what... exactly did you want them to do? Seriously?
send Mitch back to London and hurt his development?
Sent Matthews back to Switzerland? Not draft him at all, and hope that we get Hughes this year.
Keep Nylander in the AHL and hurt his development?
Bypass on having a good goaltender and hope we found another one eventually if one came up?

MLSE didn't rush anything.

the Leafs drafting and development kicked in.
We hit in Nylander. we hit on marner, we lucked at the right time and got Matthews, and then finishing 17th we got someone who was considered for 1.5 years to be the 2nd ranked defensemen in the entire draft and only dropped due to having Mono and a poor season because he had Mono. had we finished 5th last and drafted Lilly at 5th overall instead of 17th would that appease you?

let me make this crystal clear for you. You're complaining that the the President of the Maple Leafs got a good coach and entrusted him to develop back end of the Core (Rielly, Kadri) and anyone young enough coming up (in this case Nylander/Marner/Matthews, Hyman/Brown/Kapanen et), to not be Carolina, Buffalo, etc, and ensure they develop the right way. and because our scouting was good (and we got lucky) - they are all hitting at an awesome time, so that a rebuild that (since you are bullishly clinging onto "pain is coming") Shanahan also said that he had no intention of doing it 'slowly' just preparing the fan base that historically it takes a long time. (see Islanders, Florida, Buffalo), because it doesn't do the younger players any favours by being mired by losing.

and I'd argue the reason why they aren't bringing Lily and Sandin in (as previous regimes would) is beause they want them to develop as best as they can. what makes me happy is that the team is developing properly, not getting caught up in buzz words like rebuild or or get upset that the thing that fans wanted happened earlier because the team is good. How the ever loving heck you blame the team being good on MLSE is beyond me.

"pain is coming" wasn't simply just about rebuilding. or that we were gonna be last forever.
it also had to do with what happens whent he team is good but they aren't there yet. (see washington) and dealing with expectations not yet realised not. "hey y'all we're gonna suc for 5 years, oh oops. sorry we jumped the gun, we're gonna be good now."

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
the president or coach can say whatever the hell they want, i dont care, if they say something i dont agree with i dont agree, plain and simple, if i agree i agree. If you think just because babs is a coach that he can do no wrong, your a fool. bit of news for you, babs is human, he makes mistakes like everyone else. you got your own mind? use it!
What the f*** are you talking about?

Babcock said to "prepare for pain". He was indicating that the rebuild was still nowhere near completed. Then they made the playoffs the very next season. I was "prepared for pain", and wanted the leafs to do the rebuild properly. But now it's been rushed and our D is... ahem... suspect.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
So what... exactly did you want them to do? Seriously?
send Mitch back to London and hurt his development?
Sent Matthews back to Switzerland? Not draft him at all, and hope that we get Hughes this year.
Keep Nylander in the AHL and hurt his development?
Bypass on having a good goaltender and hope we found another one eventually if one came up?

MLSE didn't rush anything.

the Leafs drafting and development kicked in.
We hit in Nylander. we hit on marner, we lucked at the right time and got Matthews, and then finishing 17th we got someone who was considered for 1.5 years to be the 2nd ranked defensemen in the entire draft and only dropped due to having Mono and a poor season because he had Mono. had we finished 5th last and drafted Lilly at 5th overall instead of 17th would that appease you?

let me make this crystal clear for you. You're complaining that the the President of the Maple Leafs got a good coach and entrusted him to develop back end of the Core (Rielly, Kadri) and anyone young enough coming up (in this case Nylander/Marner/Matthews, Hyman/Brown/Kapanen et), to not be Carolina, Buffalo, etc, and ensure they develop the right way. and because our scouting was good (and we got lucky) - they are all hitting at an awesome time, so that a rebuild that (since you are bullishly clinging onto "pain is coming") Shanahan also said that he had no intention of doing it 'slowly' just preparing the fan base that historically it takes a long time. (see Islanders, Florida, Buffalo), because it doesn't do the younger players any favours by being mired by losing.

and I'd argue the reason why they aren't bringing Lily and Sandin in (as previous regimes would) is beause they want them to develop as best as they can. what makes me happy is that the team is developing properly, not getting caught up in buzz words like rebuild or or get upset that the thing that fans wanted happened earlier because the team is good. How the ever loving heck you blame the team being good on MLSE is beyond me.

"pain is coming" wasn't simply just about rebuilding. or that we were gonna be last forever.
it also had to do with what happens whent he team is good but they aren't there yet. (see washington) and dealing with expectations not yet realised not. "hey y'all we're gonna suc for 5 years, oh oops. sorry we jumped the gun, we're gonna be good now."

If the leafs become a dynasty and win a cup or two in the next few years, then you'll be right I suppose. And we'll all be ecstatic.

But if we are held back by our D (which is the way I see it going down), make no mistake, it's because MLSE went all typical MLSE and rushed the rebuild just one year after we were told to prepare for pain.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
If the leafs become a dynasty and win a cup or two in the next few years, then you'll be right I suppose. And we'll all be ecstatic.

But if we are held back by our D (which is the way I see it going down), make no mistake, it's because MLSE went all typical MLSE and rushed the rebuild just one year after we were told to prepare for pain.

for god sakes, MLSE did not rush anything.
we have good players.
you can't even articulate
1: how MLSE rushed anything
2: understand the fact that the "good defenseman" we could have drafted at 5- we got at 17
and 3: what the hell we were supposed to do with the talent we drafted without damaging their development.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
What the **** are you talking about?

Babcock said to "prepare for pain". He was indicating that the rebuild was still nowhere near completed. Then they made the playoffs the very next season. I was "prepared for pain", and wanted the leafs to do the rebuild properly. But now it's been rushed and our D is... ahem... suspect.
If you cant understand plain english, maybe you shouldnt be posting here! Yes babs said there will be pain and you said you were following orders from babcock. i said i dont follow orders from babcock like a puppet. you said you will go by what the coach says and do and not anyone on the internet. i said he is not always right, he makes mistakes like everyone else. you or the guy down the street might have a better idea on something about the team then babs. you were blabbering on about the president and coach that what ever they say must be right. i said what ever they say, i can use my own mind to agree or disagree. I find it funny that you agree with everything babs says and do when he himself said that he makes mistakes like everyone else.

Reactions: ULF_55

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
When the coach of the team which has been the embarrassment of all humanity for over ten years says "prepare for pain", it sure as **** doesn't mean to make the playoffs the next season.

Yes. But to be fair, that 'Embarassment of all Humanity' for the past 10 years is actually a title owned by the Oilers. The Leafs true title was closer to 'the definition of desperate mediocrity'.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
for god sakes, MLSE did not rush anything.
we have good players.
you can't even articulate
1: how MLSE rushed anything
2: understand the fact that the "good defenseman" we could have drafted at 5- we got at 17
and 3: what the hell we were supposed to do with the talent we drafted without damaging their development.
Don't bother

Reactions: stickty111

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
What the hell is going on in here? Leafs Said prepare for pain, we finished in the basement. We stayed pat with our draft and our kids, and they performed magnificently. The emergence of our prospects was what expedited the rebuild not management.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Leafs D last year ?

Yeah with one of the NHL's top forward groups...

And that D absolutely killed us so it's not like that should be taken as a positive towards Babcock.

The answer to that question is really a hard 'no', at least not for a long time. The guy has always had great teams to work with but could hardly do anything more than expected with them.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Yeah with one of the NHL's top forward groups...

And that D absolutely killed us so it's not like that should be taken as a positive towards Babcock.

The answer to that question is really a hard 'no', at least not for a long time. The guy has always had great teams to work with but could hardly do anything more than expected with them.

What coach has taken a group of Bad News Bears to the stanley cup !

Reactions: saltming

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I'm happy with Toronto's handling of young players. Al Iafrate was such a wild spirit that I think could of really been developed better. Think all the tools were there to have a Norris trophy winner. P.K. Subban is more of a free spirit but wasn't given anything. He had to earn it. He had to develop his game further. And in the end, he wins the Norris and is considered one of the top right-handed defensemen in the league. I have no qualms about Toronto letting players languish on the Marlies developing their game. Even if you're playing Connor Carrick as a stop gap measure while someone like Timothy Liljegren develops. Someone stated it looked like Rosen didn't work out this summer. That type of mentality just doesn't happen on a successful team. Players have to learn real quick that you have to give it 100%.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

You realize that in the last two years, in this supposed time where MLSE changed their tune on the rebuild, the Leafs have selected a defensemen with each of their 1st and 2nd round pick?

You can complain about the team's defense until you're blue in the face but it's not because they didn't "rebuild properly" .. It's because they haven't been able to acquire a legit top 4/top pairing defender for the roster now. The irony with that is to acquire said player, it will cost the Leafs picks and prospects.

Reactions: DarkKnight

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Lol.

Only in Leafs Nation would there be pissing and moaning that we didn’t suck long enough and that the guys we drafted to rebuild are good and developing properly.

How dare we be better than some idiotic time frame to improve. How could we not suck longer to really ensure we rebuild through and through?????

This is why I can’t take most on these boards seriously and thankfully we have a smarter coach and leadership than these loud mouthed know nothing @$$-hats talking out of there @$$es that we are worse than we are and not doing things the right way, according to their extensive Stanley Cup winning experience......

#ucking idiots in here.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You know I thought Engval and Timashov displayed an ability to play against these guys.

Engval I think has NHL potential.

I was not impressed with the veterans, and frankly the majority of the prospects looked overmatched.

It wasn't in any way, shape or form, a NHL exhibition.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
This thread is garbage.

We lost playing a B squad consisting of mediocre vets

Leafs have rebuilt the right way and have a ton of talent on the big club and in the minors

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs depth and AHLers got their buts kicked twice in the exhibition season and very few standout performances throughout this group to show they're ready to fight for NHL duty.

McBackup and Sparks now a coin toss to pick the best of the worst option as both had poor ex-camps.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Since the “pain” statement the leafs have drafted Marner, Matthews, Lilijgren, Sandin, Dermott, Grundstrom, Durzi, Timashov, Räsänen, etc etc etc.

They also finished 30 out of 30 one year.

Clearly some picks have hit.

Oh and the local superstar came home.

We had enough pain. The time for pleasure is now.

Reactions: dsred and ToMaLe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad