Proposal: Toronto - Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
honest question - what makes Barrie better than Gardiner? If the answer is points per game, you've really gotta look into what constituted a "game" for each of them

I don't know what this means. Sounds like grasping at straws.

Barrie logs more ice-time. Barrie scores more points, and Barrie did that in almost 20 less games.

Barrie is an elite offensive defenseman who drives offense on any line he is played on.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

Barrie logs more ice-time. Barrie scores more points, and Barrie did that in almost 20 less games.

Barrie is an elite offensive defenseman who drives offense on any line he is played on.
I think you need to look a lot deeper than the first box on hockey reference. Barrie plays more ice time because of how much PP time he gets (#1 per game among defensemen in the NHL last year), combined with his own high water mark (by a lot) in efficiency during that huge amount of extra PP time probably means a regression unless he keeps getting that much PP work and Mac/Rantanen keep up those kinds of shooting/OIsh rates

Gardiner plays more 5v5 in more balanced usage with better possession results, Barrie is used like his coach doesn't want him in his own end

and both of these guys were in the top half of #1 defensemen by points last year , not like either is a poor offensive player

Reactions: Critical91

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I think you need to look a lot deeper than the first box on hockey reference. Barrie plays more ice time because of how much PP time he gets (#1 per game among defensemen in the NHL last year), combined with his own high water mark (by a lot) in efficiency during that huge amount of extra PP time probably means a regression unless he keeps getting that much PP work and Mac/Rantanen keep up those kinds of shooting/OIsh rates

Gardiner plays more 5v5 in more balanced usage with better possession results, Barrie is used like his coach doesn't want him in his own end

and both of these guys were in the top half of #1 defensemen by points last year , not like either is a poor offensive player

Last season was the first time Barrie was really quite effective on the powerplay. He was / is still a 50 point defensman before that.

Barrie became a full time NHLer in 2013/14. Since that season to today he is 9th among all defensmen in even strength points. 235 points in 364 games (0.64 ES PPG) Since 2013/14 season to today Jake Gardiner is 23rd among all defensmen in even strength points. 181 points in 402 games (0.45 ES PPG). If we go back to include Gardiner's 2011-2013 seasons his averages fall further. Even if you want to dismiss powerplay production it is not a competition who is better offensively.

Regarding your TOI argument, since 2014/15 to today 74 players have played at least one game on the Avs. Amongst all those 74 players, no player has averaged a higher ES TOI per game than Tyson Barrie. So much sheltering.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
I love these threads, insert Leaf who is obviously terrible and insert small market equivalent who is beyond our grasp of how good he really is, call proposal laughable then move on.

This is how Faulk was untouchable two seasons ago. Typical HF.

Oh, just want to note how much better Nate MacKinnon is compared to a loser like Auston Matthews, clear as day right?

Muh narratives

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
I love these threads, insert Leaf who is obviously terrible and insert small market equivalent who is beyond our grasp of how good he really is, call proposal laughable then move on.

This is how Faulk was untouchable two seasons ago. Typical HF.

Oh, just want to note how much better Nate MacKinnon is compared to a loser like Auston Matthews, clear as day right?

Muh narratives
Here we go. Victimizing again. Matthews is freaking great I don’t think anyone will argue saying he isn’t otherwise he’s either jealous or don’t have any clue who the player is. Finally you have that really competitive team that will contend for years from now I hope you get that Stanley Cup for the sake of the fans that have been waiting for so long. Feeling better now?

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018

Lol, Gardiner was top five in 5 on 5 minutes in the league, how much more ice time does Barrie get

Reactions: Critical91

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Gardiner >= Barrie

Value is about right due to Gards being an upcoming FA. But this doesn’t make us much better. Gardiner is a slightly better player than Barrie imo, but Barrie plays the right side and has a better shot.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Leaf fans will riot on whatever player is offered in a trade.

Not only will they never agree, same comments about how under valued their players. Maybe Nylander is reading these boards and believes he deserves the $8M+ per.

Does this Board track the number of Locked Threads? I’m sure most of the closures involve the Leafs. :help:

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Leaf fans will riot on whatever player is offered in a trade.

Not only will they never agree, same comments about how under valued their players. Maybe Nylander is reading these boards and believes he deserves the $8M+ per.

Does this Board track the number of Locked Threads? I’m sure most of the closures involve the Leafs. :help:
I am quite confident it does. They often get over the post limit! Sometimes, you have the trolls come in and make it untenable. Still, there are some Leaf fans that can ruin a thread too!

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
If Toronto worked on a basis of Nylander+Gardiner for Barrie+ something what could Avs add?

I'm open to moving both, getting an upgrade on the right side, but I think that the Avs need to add something to the deal frankly.

Would it be too much to ask what Toronto needs to add to get Ottawas first added?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
the best way to be good defensively is to never play in your own end which Gardiner has always had a very good measurable impact on for his team.

That is absolutely not the best way to be good defensively.

It's a great way to keep the puck out of your net, but it says nothing about the player's defensive skill at all.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Oh yeah, that's terrific. They don't need to do anything at all.
Yup they are playing like they are NHLers right when they still have a couple years of development to go through.

Can't wait to see them in a few years.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Gardiner and Barrie are about equal. Johnson or Bracco and the pick would compensate for the Barrie extra year on his contract. contract. I can see why the Avs and Leafs both don't do the trade. Leafs just might want that cap space for next year instead of 5.5m Barrie.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Last season was the first time Barrie was really quite effective on the powerplay. He was / is still a 50 point defensman before that.

Barrie became a full time NHLer in 2013/14. Since that season to today he is 9th among all defensmen in even strength points. 235 points in 364 games (0.64 ES PPG) Since 2013/14 season to today Jake Gardiner is 23rd among all defensmen in even strength points. 181 points in 402 games (0.45 ES PPG). If we go back to include Gardiner's 2011-2013 seasons his averages fall further. Even if you want to dismiss powerplay production it is not a competition who is better offensively.

Regarding your TOI argument, since 2014/15 to today 74 players have played at least one game on the Avs. Amongst all those 74 players, no player has averaged a higher ES TOI per game than Tyson Barrie. So much sheltering.
I don't mean to detract from Barrie, I completely agree that he's an elite offensive defenseman and is a capable 5v5 player. But, in the last 2 years, he's in the 5th percentile of defensive zone starts - he gets put on the ice in the forward zone more than 95% of his peers where Gardiner is in the 47th percentile during the same period of time so middle of the pack. The decision to put Barrie in that type of usage probably has as much to do with him being very good offensively as it does him being not great defensively too, I'll concede that without being challenged on it

I agree that Barrie is a better offensive player, I think you'll get a false read by going way back in time on Gardiner though unless you expect him to return to being a <30pt player, and he's a better possession player despite being set up for the opposite with his usage. Overall I agree that Barrie is a better player than Gardiner, but my qualm was with the idea that it's outrageous that Gardiner+ is a fair trade for Barrie. The 9th best offensive player at his position for the 23rd best offensive player at his position who's a more rounded player plus adds seems very reasonable to me. I also wouldn't do the trade from Toronto's end until Dermott showed he was ready for Gardiner's minutes, and I can understand why Colorado wouldn't either, it was just the "typical Leaf fan trash proposal" stuff that I don't understand

That is absolutely not the best way to be good defensively.

It's a great way to keep the puck out of your net, but it says nothing about the player's defensive skill at all.
well this certainly fits your M.O.....pick out one tree, ignore the forest and get out the soap box

A player who never plays in his own end is on the ice for less goals against than the best defensive player in the world who is, call it what you will, it's good for the bottom line of winning games to not be in your own end

Last edited:
Reactions: Max Money

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
No Interest in Barrie whatsoever.

Leafs should be looking for a different type of RD. Trouba is still my ideal target. Probably gonna have to wait another year for him

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Gardiner is lefty version of Barrie and Barrie is the righty version of Gardiner. I really dont think one is that much better than the other.

No need to argue over a meaningless debate.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Trade Gardiner++ for a slightly better Gardiner? sounds awesome.

Because we need offensive D who are shit in their own end.

o_O

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Maybe some of the Leafs fans here that represent that part of the fandom (yes, THAT part), will start to realize why people don't take them seriously

Reactions: pmwlker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad