Proposal: Toronto - Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Friedman just mentioned in his latest podcast I believe, that Colorado are still listening to offers on Tyson Barrie who has two years left on a deal that carries an AAV of $5.5M. Friedman also said a while ago that the Leafs and Avs almost had a trade worked out that would have seen O'Reilly go to Toronto and Gardiner to the Avs, probably with other moving parts. If Jake Gardiner were willing to talk extension with Colorado (I think he would because it brings him closer to his home of Minnetonka, Minnesota), I could see something working out, especially considering the Avs have Erik Johnson locked up and guys like Connor Timmins and Cale Makar (both RH defensemen) coming down the pipeline.

To Toronto:
D - Tyson Barrie

To Colorado:
D - Jake Gardiner
LW - Andreas Johnsson
3rd Round Pick in 2020

Edit: Swapped Bracco with Andreas Johnsson

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Friedman just mentioned in his latest podcast I believe, that Colorado are still listening to offers on Tyson Barrie who has two years left on a deal that carries an AAV of $5.5M. Friedman also said a while ago that the Leafs and Avs almost had a trade worked out that would have seen O'Reilly go to Toronto and Gardiner to the Avs, probably with other moving parts. If Jake Gardiner were willing to talk extension with Colorado, I could see something working out, especially considering the Avs have Erik Johnson locked up and guys like Connor Timmins and Cale Makar (both RH defensemen) coming down the pipeline.

To Toronto:
D - Tyson Barrie

To Colorado:
D - Jake Gardiner
LW/RW - Jeremy Bracco (who has looked pretty good in camp and pre-season thus far)
3rd Round Pick in 2020

Thoughts?
Yes, that the rest of the league isn't in business to help your club by doing big favors
That's not a good offer

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
The Avs were under a way different management model when they had O'Reilly. This trade is essentially the Avs trading a far superior and younger version of Gardiner for an expensive older version and parts.

The only player the Avs have interest in is Nylander. That would likely be a 1 for 1 trade.

Reactions: milehigh11

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
The Avs were under a way different management model when they had O'Reilly. This trade is essentially the Avs trading a far superior and younger version of Gardiner for an expensive older version and parts.

The only player the Avs have interest in is Nylander. That would likely be a 1 for 1 trade.

You and I both know Nylander for Barrie is not fair. How much better than Gardiner is Barrie really? Far superior? Come on man, one game doesn't define a guy's career. Gardiner has put up a ton of points over the last two years and is arguably a better passer. Both aren't great in their own end..

Avs44

May 16, 2011
That's not quite what Friedman said I don't think.

“And I’ll tell you this too: I’ve heard Tyson Barrie stuff because his name has been in and out. I hear it’s totally quiet, and Colorado has told everyone, ‘If you’re coming at us with a hockey deal,’ because I think he’s got two years left on his deal, ‘Mm, maybe. But other than that we feel no pressure to do anything.’”

Of course Colorado will listen to offers on Barrie, but that's pretty much non-news - I imagine every team will at least listen to offers on their players. But doesn't sound like he's really available.

Regarding your offer...no. The only reason the Avs would consider trading Barrie is because of what he'll demand on his next deal in two years time, and in the hope that Makar / Timmins can replace him. There's no need to swap Barrie for a pending UFA who will most likely also want a hefty contract that will simply kick in a year before Barrie's hypothetical extension would. No need for the Avs to downgrade for a couple of mediocre pieces. If Barrie is moved, it'll be a year from now in the off-season - or maybe at the deadline if the Avs completely suck this year (i.e. bottom 5). But I also think there's a good chance he'll be re-signed anyways.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
He didn't say that at all. He said it's dead quiet and that we have feel no pressure to make a deal, unless someone came to us with a hockey deal.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
If we trade Barrie to the Leafs, I would target Nylander. Can add pieces if needed to but I don't think Leafs touch this since from what I've heard from their fans, they are looking for a defensive Dman. No reason to trade Barrie for a lefty when we already have Zads, Girard and Cole (would probably be an upgrade there) but that would make our RHD really bad since you never know with EJ's health. Like tucker3434 said if we move Barrie that will probably mean that Makar or Timmins is ready to take a top 4 role to replace Barrie or if we have trouble getting Barrie signed with his contract demand.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I would rather just not target Barrie at all.

Edit: Also, why was TO looking to move D for C at the deadline?
I don’t think Barrie makes sense for you guys anyway, but still. This is bad proposal when you’re giving Gardiner and relative spare parts.

Even if you don’t like Barrie you should take this deal

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
As mentioned earlier, interest for Gardiner was due to their poor LHD and that problem has been resolved.
The rumours on trading for ROR happened around 2015. Gardiner had completed a poor season with 24 points and -23 +/-. ROR was subsequently moved and the AVs have steadily rebuilt their DMen.

They have sinced added LHD: Zadorov (ROR trade), Girard (Duchene trade), Cole (UFA), Nemeth (Waivers) and Barberio (Waivers). A concern is lack of LHD prospects which is a consideration entering the 2019 draft.

Gardiner is a 28 year old veteran headed for UFA. There is no need to add him onto the team for essentially a rental. There is a long-jam already on the position and the area of weakness would be RW.

Nylander or Marner would be of interest for Barrie, otherwise, there is no trade that can be made.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I think right now is a bad time to propose this trade - Gardiner was very bad in the last game he played and Barrie had a career production year, so I think the perceptions are at an all time high in differential.

Barrie isn't the ideal profile of player for the Leafs, but neither is Gardiner, so if we could make that swap it might make sense for the Leafs if Dermott looks like he's ready to play on a 2nd pairing. For the Avs there would probably need to be an apparent need on LD with a shorted on RD, so if something were to happen like Makar/Timmins look ready to play in the NHL and Zadorov/Girard falter maybe it would make sense to revisit this down the road

I do think the gap between these guys is being exaggerated a bit, Barrie had a hell of an offensive year but he also lead the NHL in PP toi/gp for a defenseman, he was 12th in total pp toi despite missing 14 games (Gardiner with 82gp was 40th on that list with less than two thirds of the total pp toi despite 14 more games played). Barrie is a year younger, Gardiner has typically been a better possession player and played in a more balanced usage compared to Barrie's very offensive usage

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Easy pass for the leafs on this one. Gardiner is better defensively then Barrie and getting an extra say 10 points from the blue line isn't worth AJ plus a pick. This trade would hurt the leafs more then help them

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
You and I both know Nylander for Barrie is not fair. How much better than Gardiner is Barrie really? Far superior? Come on man, one game doesn't define a guy's career. Gardiner has put up a ton of points over the last two years and is arguably a better passer. Both aren't great in their own end..
You and I don’t both know Nylander for Barrie is unfair, actually.

Considering Tyson Barrie has a higher ppg from the blue line than your winger...

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
You and I don’t both know Nylander for Barrie is unfair, actually.

Considering Tyson Barrie has a higher ppg from the blue line than your winger...
remember that he also had about 4 more mins of ES toi/game and about 2 more mins of PP toi/game. Not trying to take anything away from Barrie, but the "game" part of his "points/game" was probably the most advantageous of any player in the NHL last year. Only Ovechkin and Kessel had more pp time per game

there's another defenseman who had similar usage last year, which was an upward change in PP time from earlier in his career - John Carlson. Have a look at his ppg from the start of his career until the beginning of last season vs last season

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Lol, I enjoyed the intelligent Leaf fans from the other Barrie thread. Tyson for William is as fair as you can get, but majority of the Av fans prefer someone like Kadri instead.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
That’s a horrendous deal for Colorado. Typical quantity for quality proposal that leafs fans continuously think they’re entitled to.

Reactions: Lemonlimey
Feb 24, 2017
Easy pass for the leafs on this one. Gardiner is better defensively then Barrie and getting an extra say 10 points from the blue line isn't worth AJ plus a pick. This trade would hurt the leafs more then help them
Anything less Toronto slanted than let’s say kapanen for doughty is a trade that would “hurt the leafs more then(sic) help them”, if leafs fans on this site are to be believed.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
That’s a horrendous deal for Colorado. Typical quantity for quality proposal that leafs fans continuously think they’re entitled to.
honest question - what makes Barrie better than Gardiner? If the answer is points per game, you've really gotta look into what constituted a "game" for each of them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad