GDT: Toronto at Columbus || 2/22/22 7pm EST

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Imagine a player with a soccer style kick where the blade comes dangerously high off the ice. That's what the rule is meant to prevent. Everything else is meant to be legal now, that's what the rule change was about last summer, and they've been allowing goals like this all year.
I’ll admit I didn’t know there was a rule change. But I’ll tell you, every time something like this happens, the ghost of Manny Malhotra comes to my home and fires me up.

Reactions: Jive Pawnbroker

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Bjorkstrand is kinda concerning me.... he's not playing terrible, as in causing opponent goals (although he has a horrendous plus/minus) but he's not being the offensive threat we need him to be.
I felt he was mostly invisible tonight.
He isn't playing his best but we don't have a center for him

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
People here said the same type of things about Anthony Duclair and Jonathan Messershault.

This team is so hard-up for goal scoring and we’re going to “yeah but” the one call up that has actually worked out?
It's also been said about guys like Zac Dalpe, Nathan Gerbe, Rene Bourque, Jack Skille, Blake Comeau, Tyler Motte, Stefan Matteau...

Oh, and Marchessault never actually scored for the Blue Jackets when he was called up. 2 games played, 0 points. (And Duclair was never a call-up.)

Reactions: MoeBartoli

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I don't think Bjorkstrand needs a special center, but some like-minded linemates would help. At his best I think he's a Torts-type player that thrives on the forecheck and cycle, with a lot of time on the attack. We don't do that much anymore, we're more one and done rush play. Domi fits really well with Bjorkstrand, even though I wouldn't call him a good forechecker, once they got possession those two were outstanding on the cycle last year. Right now Bjorky is with Nyquist and Sillinger. Nyquist can work with anyone, but Sillinger doesn't have the speed to get in on the forecheck, so it's a lot more failed dump-ins.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ippenator

makethesave

Nov 8, 2021
I know it’s all about analytics now but I don’t get the distain for Peeke around here.

I see it from just a couple guys. Most fans in the know recognize how he is playing. Amazing to me is that this is his first full season and now has been on top pairing with Z for 14 games straight while playing against the best forwards on the opposition. But the PK work with him and Gavrikov stands out as well.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I don't think Bjorkstrand needs a special center, but some like-minded linemates would help. At his best I think he's a Torts-type player that thrives on the forecheck and cycle, with a lot of time on the attack. We don't do that much anymore, we're more one and done rush play. Domi fits really well with Bjorkstrand, even though I wouldn't call him a good forechecker, once they got possession those two were outstanding on the cycle last year. Right now Bjorky is with Nyquist and Sillinger. Nyquist can work with anyone, but Sillinger doesn't have the speed to get in on the forecheck, so it's a lot more failed dump-ins.
If we had a "MacKinnon" and a "Rantanen", I think Bjorkstrand would make a perfect "Landeskog" for that type of line.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I don't think Bjorkstrand needs a special center, but some like-minded linemates would help. At his best I think he's a Torts-type player that thrives on the forecheck and cycle, with a lot of time on the attack. We don't do that much anymore, we're more one and done rush play. Domi fits really well with Bjorkstrand, even though I wouldn't call him a good forechecker, once they got possession those two were outstanding on the cycle last year.
Oh I don't think he needs a special center, just one that's currently better than Sillinger. If he was with Domi and Kuraly I think he'd do a lot better - but then you're left with 14-34-59 which isn't great.

Reactions: VT

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

I think Kuraly was centering Nyquist and Bjorkstrand for most of tonight. They did well in the 3rd to force some zonetime against the TOR first line but earlier in the game they were mostly invisible, even though they were mostly matched against TOR bottom-6 (I think). Maybe giving Domi a go at center between those two would be worth a shot. Though not sure where that would leave the bottom-6 at the moment, I want Texier back.

Reactions: Forepar

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
haven’t read through the thread yet but I must say, let’s not sleep on Gaunce. I’m impressed. 9 points in his last 11 NHL games. love his celebrations too.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Oh I don't think he needs a special center, just one that's currently better than Sillinger. If he was with Domi and Kuraly I think he'd do a lot better - but then you're left with 14-34-59 which isn't great.

I hate to be a downer but I think all of our forwards benefit from having a center better than Sillinger. I'd prefer to run Jenner, Kuraly, Domi, and Roslovic up the middle, and let Sillinger develop in Cleveland.

Reactions: LJ7 and Forepar

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
8-2 in last 10. Who could’ve seen this coming ? Two wins with a #4 goalie, getting scoring from Gaunce.

This team truly might repeat the 2013 play off run and come up short.

Honestly, let’s enjoy while it lasts, it’s very possible we can hit an ugly losing streak out of nowhere

Reactions: NotTooWideArena

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
8-2 in last 10. Who could’ve seen this coming ? Two wins with a #4 goalie, getting scoring from Gaunce.

This team truly might repeat the 2013 play off run and come up short.

Honestly, let’s enjoy while it lasts, it’s very possible we can hit an ugly losing streak out of nowhere

I am just enjoying the winning while it lasts.

Playoffs are a long shot even if they keep playing like this. They could go 25-7-1 in their last 33 games, end up with 102 points, and still miss the playoffs. That's how tough the East is.

The tank brigade will say that a narrow miss like that is the worst thing, but I think it helps this team in the long run to put itself on the map as an unbreakable team full of really promising young players. No one is going to want to play for them if they just crumple.

Vapaatunnus

Feb 2, 2021
Had to visit Leafs forum, it seems that there is atleast one sensible poster :naughty:

upload_2022-2-23_10-33-17.png

Reactions: Halberdier

Keduzin

May 5, 2009
The 1st line was lucky to end up with only one goal against. They looked tired and slow and especially that Matthews line was dominating. Anyhoo, a win is a win and Berube had a great game. Voracek made a great play on that overtime goal, otherwise he did not play that well.

Reactions: Rautakanki

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
The 1st line was lucky to end up with only one goal against. They looked tired and slow and especially that Matthews line was dominating. Anyhoo, a win is a win and Berube had a great game. Voracek made a great play on that overtime goal, otherwise he did not play that well.

1st line was not playing well as a line this time (though the really tough match up obviously was a part of that), but to me it seemed from the get go that Laine was on a mission and he was just flying everywhere, adding a lot to that "luck" to not get scored against. He almost was able to prevent even that goal against, but was just a little bit late on the situation.

Matthews + Marner line is always really hard to contain, so I give the 1st line solid B anyway.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I hate to be a downer but I think all of our forwards benefit from having a center better than Sillinger. I'd prefer to run Jenner, Kuraly, Domi, and Roslovic up the middle, and let Sillinger develop in Cleveland.
I like Sillinger A LOT, but I can’t disagree with you. Is the greater need for development, or improvement in perceived lack of speed? I don’t know if he’s slow foot-speed or just still processing a half-count behind? If the latter, agree with letting him percolate in Cleveland. If it’s footspeed issue, does Cleveland really help?

From other sports experience, you can always improve raw speed incrementally, but if baseline is slow, slow can improve to average+, but never get to “fast.” Does that observation translate to skating? Or are changes in skating technique capable of producing dramatic change? And of course this paragraph presumes Sillinger is below average in foot speed - which may not be accurate.

Last edited:

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Before coming in to this season the expection was that he is the single winger who doesnt need a great center because he is the an excellent playdriver himself.

I wouldnt put this on a lack of center.
Maybe a lingering injury, or hard time adapting to Larsen after being under Torts for his whole career, or just simply a down year for no particular reason. In any case, Im confident he'll get his form back with time.

Reactions: VT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad