Pre-Game Talk: Toronto at Carolina. The Three Storms Converge...

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I can't wait for this. We beat you we move to 2nd in the east based on wins. This is a HUGE game for us against a tough team

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
"Centering feed AND THEY SCORE!!MARTIN GELINAS!! It's strange but true, folks...the Carolina Hurricanes are going to the STANLEY CUP FINALS!!!"

Reactions: MinJaBen

ChuckW

Keep the Hurricanes great!
May 15, 2009
Parts unknown
"Centering feed AND THEY SCORE!!MARTIN GELINAS!! It's strange but true, folks...the Carolina Hurricanes are going to the STANLEY CUP FINALS!!!"

Yeah so strange that the storied Leafs went home while a garbage franchise like Carolina went to the Finals. He might as well have said that on air.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Yeah so strange that the storied Leafs went home while a garbage franchise like Carolina went to the Finals. He might as well have said that on air.

I love my garbage franchise. Makes beating "hockey cities" all the more sweet when we do.

Also, very appropriate that Robo's post was in text, since the last time the Leafs made the playoffs, YouTube didn't exist ;)

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

You know what's funny, I think back to then and I was just a dumb kid in my mid-20s, already pissed off and looking for something else to get even more pissed off about. The message board people (Leafs, Devils, Wings and Habs) were so hateful back then I pretty much completely stopped watching except for the Canes, and I had been a pretty huge fan of the game from the age of 11 or 12. At that point, as far as I was concerned it was the Canes only, and the rest of the league could burn in hell.

I'm supposedly older and more mature now, but still when I watch those clips I have the urge to slowly extend both middle fingers to the TV screen and cackle like a second-rate Bond villain.

Don't take offense visiting Leafs fans, its nothing personal, it's just like that moment where you are sick of getting kicked around by the schoolyard bully and bust him one good right in the mouth.

Anton H Christ

ruh-roh corvo
May 4, 2011
Columbia SC
games a toss up both teams are hot and i honestly feel like toronto is a better team except in the net.

4-3 canes

(yes i predicted a win just now)

SeaBasstian

Don't Tread On Me
Mar 5, 2007
Connecticut
if there is one thing i have noticed in the last few days, its how worked up some of you guys get on here over little petty things. Going off about how some Devils, Leafs, Sens (etc) fan pissed you off last year, 5 years ago, 10 years ago (etc) is just as annoying as that fan itself. you just sound like a whiny little.....you know lol. its NOT THAT IMPORTANT.

ill probably end up with this post deleted, and told to deal with it or go somewhere else. eh....i have my reasons for being here. I can deal with reading through all the stupid stuff such as that without getting worked up. doesnt make it not annoying though, just wanted to point out that fact to some of you

:thumbsup:

that being said, go canes! beat the leafs!

ChuckW

Keep the Hurricanes great!
May 15, 2009
Parts unknown
I'm supposedly older and more mature now, but still when I watch those clips I have the urge to slowly extend both middle fingers to the TV screen and cackle like a second-rate Bond villain.

I know exactly how you feel. :laugh:

Who needs Youtube, I still have that whole series on VHS and it is BEAUTIFUL.

I have a lot of our playoff runs on VHS but not that Leafs series. I envy you!

if there is one thing i have noticed in the last few days, its how worked up some of you guys get on here over little petty things. Going off about how some Devils, Leafs, Sens (etc) fan pissed you off last year, 5 years ago, 10 years ago (etc) is just as annoying as that fan itself. you just sound like a whiny little.....you know lol. its NOT THAT IMPORTANT.

I cling to my grievances and grudges. I nurture them like they were baby llamas. I remember every snide comment, whether it was made by players, sports talking heads on TV, or some idiotic Devils fan on a message board. That way it feels even sweeter when we get to shove those comments back in their faces.

You think winning the Cup in 2006 was just some sort of celebration of our team's excellence? Not for me. For me it was a big F-YOU to every fan who said Carolina shouldn't be in the Finals, shouldn't even be in the NHL. 50% of all the joy from that Cup win was just pure glee at the reactions of people in those "hockey cities".

...btw, love the Big Trouble in Little China clips. Someone should do a GDT based on that movie.

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

ill probably end up with this post deleted, and told to deal with it or go somewhere else. eh....i have my reasons for being here. I can deal with reading through all the stupid stuff such as that without getting worked up. doesnt make it not annoying though, just wanted to point out that fact to some of you

:thumbsup:

that being said, go canes! beat the leafs!

Can't speak for anybody else, but I wasn't trying to get worked up or anything. Just reminiscing. As you get older these things become less and less important....at the same time it can be kind of fun to let it out every once in a while. As long as you own it and don't take yourself too seriously. And it's not like anybody's running over to the Leafs board to declare eternal jihad or something.

Actually, when it comes to Leafs fans I have gained major respect for them over the years, probably as much as much as any other sports team out there. It takes a lot of gumption to stick with a bad team for years and taking all the abuse of others and always having to hear your team getting badmouthed all the time. I actually feel good for them having turned things around.

You think winning the Cup in 2006 was just some sort of celebration of our team's excellence? Not for me. For me it was a big F-YOU to every fan who said Carolina shouldn't be in the Finals, shouldn't even be in the NHL.

I imagine there are precious few here that don't understand that sentiment completely. Ah....catharsis.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
games a toss up both teams are hot and i honestly feel like toronto is a better team except in the net.

4-3 canes

Leafs a better team? Didn't the Hurricanes just completely outplay them for 2 periods about a week ago? Frattin and Reimer are out now on top of it. These are the games Carolina has to win if they want to be taken seriously.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
And we'd never have such gems as "eat crow sunshine" if people just forgot about things and moved on. :laugh:

I get what you are saying though A.S., I'm more like you and don't hold on to many grudges, but without some of that mentality, there would be a lot less interesting discussions on these boards. Whether it applies to other teams (Buffalo, NJ), other players (Stevens, Orpik), or even the Canes (Maurice, JR, LaRose, Boychuk, Cole, Jack Johnson), people having strong opinions and holding to them does create a lot more discussion.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Leafs a better team? Didn't the Hurricanes just completely outplay them for 2 periods about a week ago? Frattin and Reimer are out now on top of it. These are the games Carolina has to win if they want to be taken seriously.

I've watched them recently and they seem to be finding their identity under Carlyle and buying in to his system. I wouldn't say they are a better team, but I wouldn't say the Canes are better either at this point of the season. Both teams have been marginal/bubble teams over the past few years and both have about the same number of points this year.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
I agree. I don't know why you guys pay any attention to the dumbasses. We were lucky to win game 1 vs the Red Wings, the SC in 06, to go to the ECF in 09. It will never end.

Honestly, I think I have the reverse problem. It's hard for me to take the Leafs seriously when they suck every year and the Hurricanes franchise is 58-36-11-3 alltime vs the Leafs. We seem to always kick their ass. Part of it is probably because Cam has said that he likes playing in cities like Toronto.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC

4-3 canes

I think we are stronger on offensive and goal any day of the week. To this point we have very similar records... Don't see how you could consider Toronto a better team, especially with their tendency to fizzle out every year. The only thing the leafs have going for them is that it is a short season, less time to fizzle.

They are on a winning streak and are playing very well on the road; not an opponent to take lightly. I could see the Canes coming out flat on their first home game after a long and successful road trip. It would certainly be typical of our teams in the past, but I like the way the Canes have been finding ways to win. They have a similar confidence that they are never out of a game that I haven't seen since that very special season we all remember very well. I feel a win tonight.

With that said, 5-1 loss.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

4-3 canes

what? No we are nor a better team, we MIGHT pull this out tonight because I do expect a slow start from from the Carolina since they just finished a long road trip and with Joni out moving the puck will be harder. BUT a better team we are not, not when you guys got E Staal, J Staal, , Skinner, Semin, Ward etc

thats like calling us better then the sens cause their team is on IR

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Living in a Canadian market for as long as I have, the constant banter about how the South doesn't care about hockey or this and that wears on you.

I don't take it too seriously, as much of it is just uninformed Canadians who most likley have never left the province they live in. But, that said, I do get pleasure when Southern teams (not just Carolina) do well. Ya'll have no idea how amazing it was last year when the 2nd round in the west was STL//LA and NSH//PHX. I was even kinda pulling for the Panthers to beat the Devils.

Without going on too much of a rant, I don't really hold grudges or anything and things don't really bother me that much, but it's tiresome wearing a Canes jersey and always being asked if I lost a bet or some such (my favorite was wearing my Jokinen jersey before this season, when Olli still played here and have people ask me if it was a Flames practise jersey)

End of story, I don't really hate anything or anyone (except Scott Stevens and Kyle Turris, what he did to Phoneix was embarassing), but I'll die a very happy man if a Canadian team never wins a Cup in my life time, which is kinda funny to say cause I was born in Montréal.

PaulProteus

****ing amaxing dman
Feb 6, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Without going on too much of a rant, I don't really hold grudges or anything and things don't really bother me that much, but it's tiresome wearing a Canes jersey and always being asked if I lost a bet or some such (my favorite was wearing my Jokinen jersey before this season, when Olli still played here and have people ask me if it was a Flames practise jersey)

I honestly don't know whether to laugh or bawl at that one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad