Pre-Game Talk: Toronto at Carolina. The Three Storms Converge...

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I get called a yankee from time to time when I tell people I like Hockey.

A couple of years ago I stopped at a gas station somewhere between Columbia and Charleston. As I get out of my car this jacked up truck with 2 or 3 Confederate flags flying from the back pulls up behind me, driver looks at my Hurricanes shirt, and says "You like that yankee sport huh?".

Was shocked he knew what team and sport I was representing.

Reactions: MinJaBen

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I get called a yankee from time to time when I tell people I like Hockey.

A couple of years ago I stopped at a gas station somewhere between Columbia and Charleston. As I get out of my car this jacked up truck with 2 or 3 Confederate flags flying from the back pulls up behind me, driver looks at my Hurricanes shirt, and says "You like that yankee sport huh?".

Was shocked he knew what team and sport I was representing.

That's when I'd take a few minutes to gladly tell the 'neck driving about the lengthy history of hockey in the South, being sure to pay special attention to teams like the Nashville Dixie Flyers, that the Atlanta Flames used to outdraw the Braves, and even the Tropical Hockey League in FL that was based in the Miami Metro prior to WW II.

Mr Whipple

Charmin Soft
Nov 9, 2008
Greenville, NC
I actually had to explain the rules of hockey to a Canadian back while watching the '02 run (Canes/Leafs series). True story.

The whole entitlement/ownership of hockey thing annoys me, though I don't dwell on it. Just get pissed when I'm told we don't deserve a team.

I played lacrosse middle school through college club, and I love to spread the sport to the point I'm still active in coaching it and doing whatever I can to introduce others to it. Much like I've helped convert a lot of locals into Canes fans.

If you are a true fan of a sport you want others to enjoy it as much as you, not try to keep it to yourself. :teach:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I actually had to explain the rules of hockey to a Canadian back while watching the '02 run (Canes/Leafs series). True story.

The whole entitlement/ownership of hockey thing annoys me, though I don't dwell on it. Just get pissed when I'm told we don't deserve a team.

I played lacrosse middle school through college club, and I love to spread the sport to the point I'm still active in coaching it and doing whatever I can to introduce others to it. Much like I've helped convert a lot of locals into Canes fans.

If you are a true fan of a sport you want others to enjoy it as much as you, not try to keep it to yourself. :teach:

As do I. I could point out that not long ago Chicago had pitiful attendance but the "elitists" would simply say "Oh they had bad ownership", well so did Atlanta and Phoenix and Florida and even Tampa Bay for a while. But no, they have to spin the conversation to fit their agenda.

Gotta convert the masses!

Ha, I actually would love for more South Carolinians to get into the sport, and the team. We do represent both states after all.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
As do I. I could point out that not long ago Chicago had pitiful attendance but the "elitists" would simply say "Oh they had bad ownership", well so did Atlanta and Phoenix and Florida and even Tampa Bay for a while. But no, they have to spin the conversation to fit their agenda.

Ha, I actually would love for more South Carolinians to get into the sport, and the team. We do represent both states after all.

Atlanta situation is a little different Look at us we have been HORRIBLE since 2004 but every game win or lose that building is full and if it doesn't look it give it 10 minutes those people will be back with their $13 beer and $15 dollar sandwich.

Atlanta couldn't sell out unless they were winning

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

That first line could not have happened I just can't believe it

Mr Whipple

Charmin Soft
Nov 9, 2008
Greenville, NC
Yes, it absolutely did happen. Believe it or not, there are Canadians who don't really follow hockey. And this wasn't an immigrant, but born and bred.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yes, it absolutely did happen. Believe it or not, there are Canadians who don't really follow hockey. And this wasn't an immigrant, but born and bred.

I believe some of us don't follow it BUT you at least gotta know the rules. Like an american and football

not everyone follows it but they gotta know the rules

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
My dad knows nothing about American football, he wouldn't know the rules even if I told him. Some people just don't care for sports..

Mr Whipple

Charmin Soft
Nov 9, 2008
Greenville, NC
But see, not every American knows the rules of football, either. Heck, the Super Bowl is the most watched event every year in the US, but it's not like every single person in the country is watching it.

Maybe in your circle of friends everybody knows the rules of hockey, but I can assure you that not everyone in Canada does.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
But see, not every American knows the rules of football, either. Heck, the Super Bowl is the most watched event every year in the US, but it's not like every single person in the country is watching it.

I was watching the super bowl with my dad's gf and I had to explain every play to her..:laugh:

My dad didn't even watch.

Mr Whipple

Charmin Soft
Nov 9, 2008
Greenville, NC
Yeah, and to further prove my point the estimated viewership of this year's Super Bowl was 108.4 million people (link). That's out of a US population of 315.5 million (link). Not even half of the population watched.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad