Friedman: Toronto and SJ could pursue Panarnin as a rental.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Leivo, Carrick and 2nd
Leivo has never been given a chance and most likely dealt anyway, Carrick is easier to replace then Hyman or Johnsson

He is worth more than that as a rental.

This is like our standard utility Swiss Army knife type offer - good for almost any situation.

there is only 2 LWers on Columbus that's outright better than Leivo and one of them would be part of the trade.

Leivo is better than Foligno? Even Milano is probably a stretch, let's get real for just a moment please

Leivo is better than all other teams forward prospects because those are the rules. LOL.

Wonder if the per usual shadows will show up. They'll need someone to stalk.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
Im a Leafs fan and stop dissing on PLD the kid is a stud and will be a 1b centre in the league to come worst case a 2a.

Not many kids come in as a centre/defense or goalie right away to the league and put up numbers like crosby mcdcvid or matthews. Give PLD a few years and he will be a beaut. Good Pick, Don't rush your team, patience and build on your YOUNG core who want to stay there.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Im a Leafs fan and stop dissing on PLD the kid is a stud and will be a 1b centre in the league to come worst case a 2a.

Not many kids come in as a centre/defense or goalie right away to the league and put up numbers like crosby mcdcvid or matthews. Give PLD a few years and he will be a beaut. Good Pick, Don't rush your team, patience and build on your YOUNG core who want to stay there.
That's the thing a lot of jackets fans are having a hard time with. The FO has preached brick by brick since day one and some don't want to wait for the team to develop properly. They've been one of the youngest teams in the NHL for two years in a row and are likely to be even younger somehow this year. The FO has to handle this situation right as it's going to have major impact on the clubs future.

They're going to make sure they get the best possible deal or they're going to take a risk on holding out to try to sign Panarin barring him flat out saying "I don't want to play for Columbus" which he has not said, yet.

Reactions: DoobieDubas

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
That's the thing a lot of jackets fans are having a hard time with. The FO has preached brick by brick since day one and some don't want to wait for the team to develop properly. They've been one of the youngest teams in the NHL for two years in a row and are likely to be even younger somehow this year. The FO has to handle this situation right as it's going to have major impact on the clubs future.

They're going to make sure they get the best possible deal or they're going to take a risk on holding out to try to sign Panarin barring him flat out saying "I don't want to play for Columbus" which he has not said, yet.

I hope he wants to stay with you guys i like watching clb and their fans. IMO I've stated before if he evidently doesn't want to stay you need to regain assets and not think short term with the playoffs this year. Your team has a bright future he should want to stay unless its something personal.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
A year of winning, making the playoffs, and having good attendance is worth a lot more to Columbus ownership, management, and fans than a coupl of average (at best) assets. Think of it this way. Which option would you choose.

Panarin for one year and you make the playoffs?

Or

Two average assets that may never be anything helpful and you don't make the playoffs?

The answer is easy for me. I'm taking Panarin for one year.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
If you got a club full of centres and one of the best wingers in the game becomes available, you do what you can to get him for a Cup run. Screw your prospect pool. Make Columbus a great offer.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
It would never work cap-wise, but it would bloody ****ing hilarious if he re-signed with Chicago after hitting UFA, and Chicago wound up with ALL of Anisimov, Saad and Panarin after all this nonsense.

As for what 1 year of Panarin is worth, a fair bit. But the team in question better be damn sure they're close to a legit run, cause it's a huge risk he walks and you're left with no Panarin, and minus all the assets you burned.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
@Jackets16 Personally, IMO, if Panarin is the difference between making the playoffs and not then your team isn't ready. For example(i know i know ) pittsburgh thew kessel in the mix as a complementary player to their stars and it worked magic. I don't think panarin is the go to guy but more of a complementary star 1a winger who would put up crazy points with a good centre or feast of secondary defences.

Obviously this is only if he wants to leave 100%.

I would keep building to the young core. You will get a nice return for Panarin not a couple average assets at best..

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
@Jackets16 Personally, IMO, if Panarin is the difference between making the playoffs and not then your team isn't ready. For example(i know i know ) pittsburgh thew kessel in the mix as a complementary player to their stars and it worked magic. I don't think panarin is the go to guy but more of a complementary star 1a winger who would put up crazy points with a good centre or feast of secondary defences.

Obviously this is only if he wants to leave 100%.

I would keep building to the young core. You will get a nice return for Panarin not a couple average assets at best..

I agree. We aren't talking about a nice return though. The offers in here aren't even average, IMO.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Really haven't seen anything on here that would compensate for the loss of even one year of Panarin. San Jose certainly has little to spare on a one year rental, but with some conditions on 2020 picks I can see them putting together something at least a bit viable along the lines of:

Melker Karlsson (serviceable bottom six utility player, included to make cap work) + R. Balcers (our top LW prospect in the A) + 2nd + 2020 1st for Panarin + 2020 2nd

Conditions on the 2020 picks would be if the sharks miss the playoffs and Panarin walks, sharks 1st becomes a 2nd and Columbus 2nd stays with Columbus. (Our GM may further try for some lottery protection on the 1st, he's good that way).

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
I agree. We aren't talking about a nice return though. The offers in here aren't even average, IMO.

Thats in here, in real life a 1a winger who's 27 still hold tremendous value. Put him with a top line and bang he's putting up stats. Its just the leafs that i don't see the fit because of where we are at but there are a lot of other teams IRL who would give up a decent return for a rental or a huge return for a extension.

Who would you accept from edmonton

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
He would be an amazing add to our forwards...but man do we need D first...

Curious, but not enough to host a new thread. Would leafs be interested in something around Justin Braun + Tierney for Kadri? Tierney is a young, cheaper 3C (but a downgrade from Kadri) and Braun would improve your middle pair RHD. (Sharks would only do this if they have another deal in the works for D, as we don't have a replacement ready in our farm for Braun).

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Curious, but not enough to host a new thread. Would leafs be interested in something around Justin Braun + Tierney for Kadri? Tierney is a young, cheaper 3C (but a downgrade from Kadri) and Braun would improve your middle pair RHD. (Sharks would only do this if they have another deal in the works for D, as we don't have a replacement ready in our farm for Braun).
Pass for the Leafs, Kadri and his great contract are vital for the Leafs

Reactions: DoobieDubas

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Kadri and his contract are kind of vital to the Leafs right now. I like Braun though....

Reactions: Nolan11

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Adding a RHD who can play on top four would make them much more better then adding another winger.
Couldn't disagree more.... adding a star winger in Panarin definitely makes up for a lack of a top 4 D. Penguins won it all with a worse D in 2015-16 season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad