Friedman: Toronto and SJ could pursue Panarnin as a rental.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Couldn't disagree more.... adding a star winger in Panarin definitely makes up for a lack of a top 4 D. Penguins won it all with a worse D in 2015-16 season.
We'll agree to disagree then. Pens D was bad however that's not normal to win with such bad D however it can happen .Good luck to your Leafs .

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Thats in here, in real life a 1a winger who's 27 still hold tremendous value. Put him with a top line and bang he's putting up stats. Its just the leafs that i don't see the fit because of where we are at but there are a lot of other teams IRL who would give up a decent return for a rental or a huge return for a extension.

Who would you accept from edmonton
Kailer Yamamoto, Ryan Strome, Caleb Jones, and a conditional 2019 draft pick, same as the last time you asked

Last edited:
Reactions: Fro

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
I’ve seen PLD play, and he obviously isn’t a #1C. I’ve watched every single current full-time NHLer. But given the distance between his numbers and those of the average Stanley Cup #1Cs, I can say that he definitely isn’t a Stanley Cup #1C; even if I hadn’t watched him ever before.

Why is it every time I see you post it has something to do with labeling players as Stanley cup #1C’s or telling us how they arn’t cup caliber players. You have some strange obsession with labeling players with a number in front of their position. I don’t understand.

According to your logic there have been what? 5 #1 cup caliber centers in the last 10 seasons. Pfft

Reactions: ajpro20

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Why is it every time I see you post it has something to do with labeling players as Stanley cup #1C’s or telling us how they arn’t cup caliber players. You have some strange obsession with labeling players with a number in front of their position. I don’t understand.

According to your logic there have been what? 5 #1 cup caliber centers in the last 10 seasons. Pfft

This is literally a hockey forum, and the #1C is the most important thing in NHL Stanley Cup Playoff hockey. That’s like going onto a makeup forum and asking a poster why they’re so obsessed with lipstick, lol.

Reactions: ER89

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
A hot goalie is the most important thing in playoff hockey.

Neither one of Antti Niemi in 2010 or Matt Murray in 2016 were particularly hot, yet they both won Stanley Cups.

When is the last time a team won a Stanley Cup with a #1 center of the same caliber as PLD last season?

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Would be nice, but I don't see a deal that I can propose where jackets fans wouldn't want to burn me at the stake. E.g. I don't want to give up from the current roster and that's simply a no go for CBJ. Having said that, could you imagine a Panarin-Matty-WN line. Jeez.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
We'll agree to disagree then. Pens D was bad however that's not normal to win with such bad D however it can happen .Good luck to your Leafs .
The last 3 seasons the cup winners D has not been very good. Leafs can definitely win a cup even next year with their D.
Tavares/Matthews/Kadri will be a nightmare for the opposition.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
The last 3 seasons the cup winners D has not been very good. Leafs can definitely win a cup even next year with their D.
Tavares/Matthews/Kadri will be a nightmare for the opposition.
Might as well factor in a theoretical elite winger set of Panarin, Marleau, Marner and Nylander to go with those elites Cs.

It would be a treat to watch.

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay
Toronto needs to look for defense. Panarnin is a good great player and would make the leafs better but better isn't good enough when your in the playoffs and get into some harry penalties. Lets be honest with young kids there's gonna be hiccups and mistakes that put them in tough spots. I think a big stay at home rhd is what they would be looking for.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Neither one of Antti Niemi in 2010 or Matt Murray in 2016 were particularly hot, yet they both won Stanley Cups.

When is the last time a team won a Stanley Cup with a #1 center of the same caliber as PLD last season?
Well obviously the jackets weren't going to win the cup last season with rookie PLD and Wennberg getting knocked out of the playoffs. But it's very possible that he develops into one over the next couple of seasons..

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto

The kid just got drafted...did crosby win year one,..did mcdcvid win year one, did matthews? did gretzky?

your a clown if thats your opinion in the modern nhl. They are developing their team and will be a threat for many many years to come and PLD will be apart of that.

Reactions: thebus88

member 290103

LOL Leafs. Yes, more offense. That's what you need. Looking forward to the implosion this year.

Reactions: WSS11

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
The sky is blue as well....hes saying that stanley cup winners don't have 1 cs like dubios..

again the sky is blue...

the kid is 19 like really? do i really need to explain to you the development path of a 19yr old centre?

the sky is blue

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
LOL Leafs. Yes, more offense. That's what you need. Looking forward to the implosion this year.

I'm not saying the Leafs shouldn't try to improve their blueline, but I don't get the whole "lel leafs d-fence is so bad they never win CUPzzz" argument. To win, you need to outscore your opponents. You can do that in a lot of ways. If you know you're an all-out, offensive firepower team, why wouldn't you play to your strengths? Try to score a ton. You don't need to have a stifling defense, just good enough that your skilled guys can get you through.

You'd think Pittsburgh winning back-to-back with what was a below-average blueline would put these things to rest.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
The sky is blue as well....hes saying that stanley cup winners don't have 1 cs like dubios..

again the sky is blue...

the kid is 19 like really? do i really need to explain to you the development path of a 19yr old centre?

the sky is blue

Sounds dubious. The sky has no color since it consists of several colorless gases.

Reactions: DoobieDubas

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Well obviously the jackets weren't going to win the cup last season with rookie PLD and Wennberg getting knocked out of the playoffs. But it's very possible that he develops into one over the next couple of seasons..

The kid just got drafted...did crosby win year one,..did mcdcvid win year one, did matthews? did gretzky?

your a clown if thats your opinion in the modern nhl. They are developing their team and will be a threat for many many years to come and PLD will be apart of that.

Yeah, my a clown alright. In their D+2 season, Crosby and McDavid won a Hart Ross Lindsay, Gretzky won a Hart Ross, and Matthews scored over a point per game and was on a 40 goal pace. You’re a clown for trying to compare those players in their youth to Pierre Luc-Dubois.

again the sky is blue...

the sky is blue

Oh...my...god...

Literally nowhere did I ever say that PLD can not become a #1 center at any point in his career.

The initial comment was that Columbus, going into this upcoming season, was no worse than Washington was going into this past season. I stated this was pretty clearly incorrect because Washington had two proven #1 centers (Kuznetsov is debatable) going into last season, while Columbus unquestionably has 0 proven #1 centers. The average #1C over the past 10 years was a 90 point scorer or a 70 point scorer who was a consistent Selke Finalist and won the Selke at some point before or after their Cup. Pierre Luc-Dubois is simply not close to that level right now. He might be as soon as next year, but he absolutely is not right now.

Columbus might have better depth on paper, but teams like Washington that appear to have questionable depth going into the season can mask that depth in the playoffs with top-end talent at forward and still win. Washington and Pittsburgh just won with two #1Cs and a winger comparable to Panarin. Meanwhile, a team like Columbus, who might have stronger depth, is lacking those #1Cs, and only has the top-end winger.

My point is, there is something still separating Columbus from the true top-end teams and that is multiple top-end talents at forward; particularly center.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
Yeah, my a clown alright. In their D+2 season, Crosby and McDavid won a Hart Ross Lindsay, Gretzky won a Hart Ross, and Matthews scored over a point per game and was on a 40 goal pace. You’re a clown for trying to compare those players in their youth to Pierre Luc-Dubois.

This except he wasn’t actually very close last year.

Oh...my...god...

Literally nowhere did I ever say that PLD can not become a #1 center at any point in his career.

The initial comment was that Columbus, going into this upcoming season, was no worse than Washington was going into this past season. I stated this was pretty clearly incorrect because Washington had two proven #1 centers (Kuznetsov is debatable) going into last season, while Columbus unquestionably has 0 proven #1 centers. The average #1C over the past 10 years was a 90 point scorer or a 70 point scorer who was a consistent Selke Finalist and won the Selke at some point before or after their Cup. Pierre Luc-Dubois is simply not close to that level right now. He might be as soon as next year, but he absolutely is not right now.

Columbus might have better depth on paper, but teams like Washington that appear to have questionable depth going into the season can mask that depth in the playoffs with top-end talent at forward and still win. Washington and Pittsburgh just won with two #1Cs and a winger comparable to Panarin. Meanwhile, a team like Columbus, who might have stronger depth, is lacking those #1Cs, and only has the top-end winger.

My point is, there is something still separating Columbus from the true top-end teams and that is multiple top-end talents at forward; particularly center.

you never answered the question..did they win a cup?

Obviously all are elite or generational players but they still didn't win the damn cup year two so lay off PLD is the point you clown he's 19.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I’ve been generally ignoring this thread but I assume it’s been pointed out that the OP misspelled “Panarin” in the title?

Reactions: cslebn

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
It’s ironic that you call me a clown and yet you can neither spell and use proper grammar and punctuation nor understand a basic argument. You literally don’t even know what’s going on in this discussion right here.

Still didn't answer the question? Did they win a cup?
This is a young team who is developing and PLD will be a big part of it going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad