Proposal: Toronto and Calgary (Not Nylander or Hamilton)

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
not after the year he had. he got out-produced by Polak, who played 20 fewer games. Giving up a blue chipper like Kapanen for such an offensive black hole is poised to completely blow up in the Leafs' face down the line

Quiiiiiiiite the use of hyperbole on both of these.

Although I agree Kapanen should be hung on to, Hamonic would be a great addition for Toronto. Evaluating him by points is the lazy man's way

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
not after the year he had. he got out-produced by Polak, who played 20 fewer games. Giving up a blue chipper like Kapanen for such an offensive black hole is poised to completely blow up in the Leafs' face down the line
Kapanen lost his blue chip status when he gratuated to the minor league team and has been unimpressive since. 10 points in 60 games isn't good. Harmonic is a defensive defender. He isn't supposed to put up points. He would be Toronto best right handed defender for sure.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Quiiiiiiiite the use of hyperbole on both of these.

Although I agree Kapanen should be hung on to, Hamonic would be a great addition for Toronto. Evaluating him by points is the lazy man's way
his underlying metrics have been pretty atrocious for the last couple of years too, not sure if he's an upgrade on what we have on the right side and the Leafs really need a guy who's a big upgrade there

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
his underlying metrics have been pretty atrocious for the last couple of years too, not sure if he's an upgrade on what we have on the right side and the Leafs really need a guy who's a big upgrade there
yeah I don't always like to drag advanced stats into discussions, but his cf%, gf%, and xgf% are all negative relative to his team. he also doesn't play particularly tough minutes and he plays with a partner who's better than he is. that all tells me that his defensive impact is heavily overstated. Plus he brings worse offensive production than Polak, which terrifies me

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
yeah I don't always like to drag advanced stats into discussions, but his cf%, gf%, and xgf% are all negative relative to his team. he also doesn't play particularly tough minutes and he plays with a partner who's better than he is. that all tells me that his defensive impact is heavily overstated. Plus he brings worse offensive production than Polak, which terrifies me
agree, I'm just not for pursuing Hamonic, even less for pursuing Stone. Rasmus Andersson is interesting if we could do it as a prospect/young player swap for someone other than Liljegren but that's about the extent I see of potential for trades with Calgary

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Toronto receives Hamonic

Calgary reveries Kapanen and 2019 Third Round pick

Toronto gets RHD who had a rough year in Calgary and could use a quick change. (Yes I know he wants to live out west but he doesn't have a NMC or NTC). He was a staple in NYI so he could try to regain his form playing along side Reilly or Dermott.

Calgary gets a young skilled RW, something they desperately need to play in the top 6. Can play on PP or PK with amazing speed and some good hands. Has a good upside as well and is still on his ELC. Third rounder is thrown in due to Calgary giving so much up for Hamonic.

Who said no?

Sorry Flames fans, you're stuck with that anchor

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

His partner's pretty bad. Brodie has been in a downward spiral since being separated from Giordano.

BTW, watch the same thing happen with Dougie Hamilton.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I also chuckled. Didn't Hamonic want to be traded to Western Canada to be closer to his family? He's not getting moved.
To be honest, there is no real difference to getting where his family is from in Manitoba from either Calgary or Toronto. One is a 2 and a half hour flight, the other is 2 hours and 5 minutes to Winnipeg. It's much shorter going from Calgary to Winnipeg by Car, but still a 14 hour drive and its due to the fact driving from Toronto you have to go around the Great Lakes.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Not sure why the Flames want to trade their top 4 dman on a good contract and all round good guy for a bust 10 career points

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Leafs should just pursue Myers or Faulk and quit making atrocious low ball proposals for the Flames young RHD

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Calgary gave a 1st and 2 2nd for Hamonic and he was an utter flop over there. At least for the first half of the season. Why exactly would Toronto want to hand over Kapanen + 1st? Leafs aren't in the business of helping other teams erase their mistakes.

Yeah, you don't know anything about Hamonic, he was fine after he adjusted and hardly a flop.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Easy no from the Flames. Kapanen has some nice potential but this is a player with 10 career NHL points. A third round pick? Take a look and see what other RD in their prime under contract have been going for for the last couple years.

hard to rack pts playing the 4th line alongside martin and moore.

11g in his last 43 games (including playoffs) despite 0 time on the PP or alongside talented players is a better indication of his ability

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Yeah, you don't know anything about Hamonic, he was fine after he adjusted and hardly a flop.

sure. but then you go and make a comment about kapanen which suggests you know nothing about him. 2nd most dangerous leaf in the playoffs (outside of marner)

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
sure. but then you go and make a comment about kapanen which suggests you know nothing about him. 2nd most dangerous leaf in the playoffs (outside of marner)

LOL...That says more about how big the choke the Leafs are than Kapanen :laugh:

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Kapanen lost his blue chip status when he gratuated to the minor league team and has been unimpressive since. 10 points in 60 games isn't good. Harmonic is a defensive defender. He isn't supposed to put up points. He would be Toronto best right handed defender for sure.
He only graduated this year in January as he eventually took Matt Martin's job. The other 17 regular season games were as call ups so he had not graduated. Of the 13 playoff games he has played in 6 were part of his late season call up and the other 7 were this year. So, I think a full season is warranted.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad