Proposal: Toronto and Calgary (Not Nylander or Hamilton)

Eric Robson

Jan 5, 2018
Toronto receives Hamonic

Calgary reveries Kapanen and 2019 Third Round pick

Toronto gets RHD who had a rough year in Calgary and could use a quick change. (Yes I know he wants to live out west but he doesn't have a NMC or NTC). He was a staple in NYI so he could try to regain his form playing along side Reilly or Dermott.

Calgary gets a young skilled RW, something they desperately need to play in the top 6. Can play on PP or PK with amazing speed and some good hands. Has a good upside as well and is still on his ELC. Third rounder is thrown in due to Calgary giving so much up for Hamonic.

Who said no?

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I'd consider it for sure. The Flames have Andersson, Kylington, and Kulak all knocking on the door in the near future, and with FA around the corner I don't think it would be too hard to find a replacement for Hamonic. Wouldn't hurt to take a chance on a young player who fills a position the team lacks and is cost-controlled.

Not sure Toronto would do it but I think the Flames would definitely consider it.

Reactions: Eric Robson

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'm all for trading Hamonic, but 1) I think we're short selling on Hamonic, he's worth more than what most of HF thinks. He's a defensive defenseman, he had to bail out Brodie multiple times last season. 2) Hamonic is staying in Calgary. Has already done a great amount of charity work and appears to love it here. If you want a defenseman, get Stone. He'd be cheaper to acquire.

I do like Kapanen though. A simple prospect swap would be good imo: Mangiapane for Kapanen.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Jan 21, 2018
I'm all for trading Hamonic, but 1) I think we're short selling on Hamonic, he's worth more than what most of HF thinks. He's a defensive defenseman, he had to bail out Brodie multiple times last season. 2) Hamonic is staying in Calgary. Has already done a great amount of charity work and appears to love it here. If you want a defenseman, get Stone. He'd be cheaper to acquire.

may as well just say you don't want to sell low on Hamonic right now because his value sucks

Owen Doty

Jan 1, 2018
that is way too low value for Hamonic imo. Kap+1st for Hamonic+3rd is much more fair value for calgary

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
may as well just say you don't want to sell low on Hamonic right now because his value sucks

Hamonic at one point was our best defenseman towards the last half of the season. We aren't going to trade him less than what we traded him for. Translation: He's not getting traded because no one is going to pay that.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Easy no from the Flames. Kapanen has some nice potential but this is a player with 10 career NHL points. A third round pick? Take a look and see what other RD in their prime under contract have been going for for the last couple years.

Reactions: Janks and Haatley

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

I do like Kapanen though. A simple prospect swap would be good imo: Mangiapane for Kapanen.

I chuckled when I read the part about the charity work. Wasnt Subban traded shortly after announcing he would donate $1m / year of his salary to the Children's Hospital in Montreal?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I believe it was rumored that Toronto tried to trade for Hamonic at last years draft before he was traded to Calgary. However since that was Lou Lamoriello trying to make that happen, what guarantee is there that Kyle Dubas would want to trade for him today?

Reactions: BruinsBtn

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I chuckled when I read the part about the charity work. Wasnt Subban traded shortly after announcing he would donate $1m / year of his salary to the Children's Hospital in Montreal?

I also chuckled. Didn't Hamonic want to be traded to Western Canada to be closer to his family? He's not getting moved.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Probably would need an add from the Leafs side (or upgrade that 3rd rounder into a 1st or 2nd depending on how badly you want Hamonic).

Not the worst proposal we've seen on these boards though.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Problem with that would be Calgary would have to rely on two young guys to move up.

Andersson would have to go straight the the second pairing. Or the third pairing would be Kulak/Andersson. Which is a bit inexperienced.

At the same time Kapanen would have a lot of pressure on him to jump immediately into a top 6 role.

Stone + for Kapanen makes more sense. He's like a discount Hamonic anyway haha

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Probably would need an add from the Leafs side (or upgrade that 3rd rounder into a 1st or 2nd depending on how badly you want Hamonic).

Not the worst proposal we've seen on these boards though.

Calgary gave a 1st and 2 2nd for Hamonic and he was an utter flop over there. At least for the first half of the season. Why exactly would Toronto want to hand over Kapanen + 1st? Leafs aren't in the business of helping other teams erase their mistakes.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Calgary gave a 1st and 2 2nd for Hamonic and he was an utter flop over there. At least for the first half of the season. Why exactly would Toronto want to hand over Kapanen + 1st? Leafs aren't in the business of helping other teams erase their mistakes.
No doubt.

I wouldn't pay what Calgary paid for Hamonic.

I just think Kapanen and a 3rd might be a bit light.

johnnycalgary

Jun 19, 2016
Toronto receives Hamonic

Calgary reveries Kapanen and 2019 Third Round pick

Toronto gets RHD who had a rough year in Calgary and could use a quick change. (Yes I know he wants to live out west but he doesn't have a NMC or NTC). He was a staple in NYI so he could try to regain his form playing along side Reilly or Dermott.

Calgary gets a young skilled RW, something they desperately need to play in the top 6. Can play on PP or PK with amazing speed and some good hands. Has a good upside as well and is still on his ELC. Third rounder is thrown in due to Calgary giving so much up for Hamonic.

Who said no?
Hello Eric what does RHDstand for

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
No doubt.

I wouldn't pay what Calgary paid for Hamonic.

I just think Kapanen and a 3rd might be a bit light.
not after the year he had. he got out-produced by Polak, who played 20 fewer games. Giving up a blue chipper like Kapanen for such an offensive black hole is poised to completely blow up in the Leafs' face down the line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad