Proposal: Toronto and Anaheim

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Seems like a loss for Toronto. Trading a guy who produces half a point a game rate and will keep getting better for a guy who's appears to be just a 4th liner with toughness. We'd have to add to get Robertson.
That's not necessarily the problem with the trade from T.O. perspective (though I also agree), its just that it doesn't actually help Toronto in any way to add another bottom 6 guy.

We dont even really need bottom pairing defenceman, as most leafs fans have been happily shocked by Benoit's play (I personally consider him our 5, over Giordano right now) and happy with Lagesson and Timmons behind him as 7/8's so moving Robertson for a bottom pair, limited upside Dman isnt really what we are after either.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
Leafs need defenseman.

What's the ask for like Helleson?
Not huge, he's pretty low on the depth chart because of how stacked the Ducks are on D prospects, but he is a RHD which makes him a bit more valuable. That said, I think he's effectively logjammed and the Ducks will need to move him to give him a shot on another roster. 2nd or similar quality forward prospect gets it done most likely.

Reactions: BonMorrison

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Not huge, he's pretty low on the depth chart because of how stacked the Ducks are on D prospects, but he is a RHD which makes him a bit more valuable. That said, I think he's effectively logjammed and the Ducks will need to move him to give him a shot on another roster. 2nd or similar quality forward prospect gets it done most likely.

I liked what I saw from Helleson's short stint last season and would likely give up a 2nd to see if he pans out here but idk how other Leaf fans feel about that.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
I liked what I saw from Helleson's short stint last season and would likely give up a 2nd to see if he pans out here but idk how other Leaf fans feel about that.
Yeah, given that Toronto would be a late 2nd there might need to be some kind of small deal sweetener going Anaheim's way, but he's probably better than what Toronto would get with a late 2nd this year and he's more NHL ready.

Reactions: BonMorrison

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah, given that Toronto would be a late 2nd there might need to be some kind of small deal sweetener going Anaheim's way, but he's probably better than what Toronto would get with a late 2nd this year and he's more NHL ready.
Very late as in years from now. The Leafs currently don't have a second until like 2027.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Ducks

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Robertson with limited minutes / PP time has 7 goals, Jones has 8 points. I certainly enjoy other elements of the game but Anaheim would probably need to add in a 3rd to make it interesting for Toronto.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Robertson with limited minutes / PP time has 7 goals, Jones has 8 points. I certainly enjoy other elements of the game but Anaheim would probably need to add in a 3rd to make it interesting for Toronto.
I’d do that pretty comfortably, we got 3 3rds so far this year

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Honestly robertson has shown some flashes this year. His production is surprising given his ice time(getting the occasional look with top players helps tho). But he's shown he can play. Would be a solid add for the ducks.

Jones could really add some jam to the Leafs which they can lack.

Man that's a doozy. Must be a pretty equal trade.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Honestly robertson has shown some flashes this year. His production is surprising given his ice time(getting the occasional look with top players helps tho). But he's shown he can play. Would be a solid add for the ducks.

Jones could really add some jam to the Leafs which they can lack.

Man that's a doozy. Must be a pretty equal trade.
I still think it’s a solid fit for fit move… but depending on what type of moves happen in Toronto they might need the offensive punch from robertson more than the sandpaper from jones

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think Robertson if getting steady PP2 time can hit 20 goals, I would probably pass on Jones for Robertson, not that appealing.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I still think it’s a solid fit for fit move… but depending on what type of moves happen in Toronto they might need the offensive punch from robertson more than the sandpaper from jones
Big shake up hard to see what the Leafs will look like. But still not against this trade. Leafs do have some young guys vying for spots. Plus maner.

Jones and knies would be such a sick pair

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Jones shows flashes where he looks amazing, he makes plays that you don't even realize it's a 3rd/4th line guy making it... but it's so rare. If he could consistently do that, he's be a solid middle 6 guy with his size and speed. Oh and the injury issues are the other thing with him. Depending on who we keep/sign, I'd like to keep him as a 4th liner.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Jones shows flashes where he looks amazing, he makes plays that you don't even realize it's a 3rd/4th line guy making it... but it's so rare. If he could consistently do that, he's be a solid middle 6 guy with his size and speed. Oh and the injury issues are the other thing with him. Depending on who we keep/sign, I'd like to keep him as a 4th liner.
If this was about Max Comtois, it would still read word for word the same. There's still a chance Max can do something, but I'm about out of faith.

Reactions: lwvs84

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Philosophically, as a Leaf fan, I'm on board with trading Robertson for some size. I've been a big believer that a move to a rebuilding team is what he needs to jump-start his career.

But, you look at Max Jones, and you have to ask yourself -- what are you actually getting?

As another poster mentioned, the guy has 31 and 31 in 258 games. His career pace is that of a 20-point player, and he's had trouble staying in the lineup.

Yes, the Leafs left side is not great. Matthew Knies, Bobby McMann; but in filling out those other 2 spots, I think you have to be "reaching" further than Max Jones.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
If this was about Max Comtois, it would still read word for word the same. There's still a chance Max can do something, but I'm about out of faith.
Comtois had the skill but not the effort, Jones has the effort but not the skill. Combine those two guys and you have an amazing hockey player. Could you imagine Comtois's shot and ability to get to those soft areas with Jones' motor? Both had good size and speed, it would be the exact type of player Anaheim needs.

Reactions: Rec T and duckpuck

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Yeah, safe to say Robertson has shown enough in the last few months of the regular season that this would be a hard no from Toronto.

Jones plays a likable game and would’ve probably made more of a playoff impact in a limited role than Robertson this spring but he’s been used as basically a 4th liner the last couple of years. The Leafs can get similar levels from a cheap guy in the open market.

Robertson I think has shown enough that at worst he’s a punchy offensive player you can use to add offense to your middle six or third line. Definitely shouldn’t be considered a core piece and he was clearly not ready to make an impact in the playoff season this year but I don’t think you throw him out for a Max Jones at this point.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
:leafs

Max Jones

:ducks

Nick Robertson

Both teams can regret this but I think Jones gives the Leafs some toughness and ruggedness in their top 9 and Robertson can see if he can flourish in a top 6 role near his home town.
Robertson should be a top 6 player, Jones, bottom 6 and on the Leafs fighting for a spot on the 4th line... poor deal for the leafs, they do not need more 'toughness' they need the secondary goal scorer

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Robertson can be a good little energy guy who chips in secondary scoring, a very useful middle or top 6 winger. Jones would have to really turn it around to be more than a 4th liner at this point. I get the concept of Toronto wanting to get bigger and stronger but this isn't the way to go about it. Plus they probably have a better fit for Robertson than the Ducks who have a veteran version of a similar player in Vatrano and are flush with left handed forwards (Zegras, Carlsson, McTavish, Gauthier, Vatrano). The Ducks GM has stated a need for a right shooting RW.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad