Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
:leafs

Max Jones

:ducks

Nick Robertson

Both teams can regret this but I think Jones gives the Leafs some toughness and ruggedness in their top 9 and Robertson can see if he can flourish in a top 6 role near his home town.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
:leafs

Max Jones

Nick Robertson

Both teams can regret this but I think Jones gives the Leafs some toughness and ruggedness in their top 9 and Robertson can see if he can flourish in a top 6 role near his home town.
Toronto adds a third

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
Value is about right, but I'm not sure I'd want to move on from Max Jones. He fills a team need on the bottom six and is right in that perfect age group for the rebuild. Also the prospect of a future third line with Gaucher-Jones running it makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
:Leafs

Max Jones

Nick Robertson

Sure /shrug

I actually have thought Robertson would be a good pick up for anaheim for a while... he prob wont really ever get a chance to flourish in Toronto.... but could be a sneaky good add for anaheim.

I think jones brings a lot of what toronto needs in their bottom of their roster..

Reactions: Gliff

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
This leafs fan passes. The trade is fair enough value wise, pretty much a hockey trade but if Toronto is going to trade its young assets at his point they should be focused on young defenceman coming back.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
This leafs fan passes. The trade is fair enough value wise, pretty much a hockey trade but if Toronto is going to trade its young assets at his point they should be focused on young defenceman coming back.

I'm not interested because we have zero cap space this year.

Max Jones makes nearly double Robertson. Both RFA.

Honestly I would say please to everyone who reads this, have a look at the Leafs situation next year, nearly every single "problem" contract is coming off the books.

Domi, Brodie, Gio, both crappy goalies (Samsonov, Jones), Bertuzzi, Muzzin, Klingberg off the books.

Not interested.

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Slightly off topic but would Leason be available or can anyone tell me about his game (pros/cons/current role)?
I wouldn’t move leason realistically, he’s perfect bottom 6 player for us. He’s the reason I’m okay moving Jones.

He’s played basically 4th line(occasionally 3rd do to injuries)…. Skates fast, pest on forecheck, chips in offensively, kills penalties. Doesn’t take shifts off

I wouldn’t call him overly physical but he also doesn’t shy away from it

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I wouldn’t move leason realistically, he’s perfect bottom 6 player for us. He’s the reason I’m okay moving Jones.

He’s played basically 4th line(occasionally 3rd do to injuries)…. Skates fast, pest on forecheck, chips in offensively, kills penalties. Doesn’t take shifts off

I wouldn’t call him overly physical but he also doesn’t shy away from it

Thanks for that

Damn, Panthers could use another 3rd line winger. What would his value be if available though? 3rd round pick?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Thanks for that

Damn, Panthers could use another 3rd line winger. What would his value be if available though? 3rd round pick?

That sounds about right…. Seems like a guy PV likes tho so I doubt we’ll move him. He’s 24 so he fits the rebuilds.

I have thought he’d be okay as a 3rd liner, but we havnt really given him a look there yet.

Reactions: lwvs84

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
While I think this trade is rooted in a really well thought out place, I don't think Toronto does it.

From Anaheim's perspective, I think Robertson is likely a perfect addition. He's produced respectable numbers despite highly sporadic usage; as he's not really a fit alongside Toronto's Big 4.

Give him a consistent 2nd line spot, maybe use him on your #1 PP unit, and his career will likely flourish.

From Toronto's standpoint, don't get me wrong, from a fit standpoint, I think it makes a ton of sense, I just don't see the Leafs willing to give up Robertson for a guy with 240 games under his belt, and a total of 30 goals and 55 points. Yes, they need some LWers, and size is great, but they need guys who can play at the top of the lineup -- Jones really belongs on a 4th line with his prodution.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
That sounds about right…. Seems like a guy PV likes tho so I doubt we’ll move him. He’s 24 so he fits the rebuilds.

I have thought he’d be okay as a 3rd liner, but we havnt really given him a look there yet.

Fair enough, saw the thread and took a look at the UFA/RFAs and thought I'd ask.

Happy to see Frank the Tank doing well for you guys. Cheers

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Fair enough, saw the thread and took a look at the UFA/RFAs and thought I'd ask.

Happy to see Frank the Tank doing well for you guys. Cheers
ya Vatrano and gudas have been great for us…. Prob our most consistent players(not that the bar was set high)

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I just don't think Jones adds that much to the table. He's a 4th/3rd liner, but Robertson is still young and has some upside.

Feel like the Leafs could get a Jones like player off waivers/for a low draft pick, and hold onto Robertson

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
I just don't think Jones adds that much to the table. He's a 4th/3rd liner, but Robertson is still young and has some upside.

Feel like the Leafs could get a Jones like player off waivers/for a low draft pick, and hold onto Robertson
I'm a Ducks fan and these are my sentiments as well. Jones really doesn't add anything except speed and stupid penalties. I fully expect he'll be one of the players who gets shed as this Ducks rebuild progresses.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

I don't really see that tbh. Guys with size + speed are rare to actually see on waivers, or even for a low draft pick. Not that Max Jones is a world-beater or anything, but that profile of player, teams tend to like to hang onto for their depth roles, unless there's a real overpayment involved.

Whereas little guys with some scoring talent who can't seem to establish themselves as full-time Top-6 NHLers...like Robertson, well, the waiver wire is always littered with these types. Every once in awhile one of them "figures it out", but most of them are just doomed to a dime a dozen "tweener" career.

I'm not sure Anaheim makes this deal. Especially under Verbeek...they seem to be pretty intent on getting bigger and more physical...not less. So it's kinda hard to see Robertson being that appealing to them, even if it'd be an okay gamble for them, trying to find a Top-6 bargain bin/reclamation salvage type project like that.

From a Toronto end though, i'm not sure they'd do it either. I think it'd be a kind of savvy under the radar move, personally. But Max Jones is pretty "maxed out" as a player as ideally a crash and bang 4th liner on a good team, and one who has had some trouble staying healthy and out of the penalty box. Still think he'd be a nice subtle depth add for what the Leafs lack in fast, physical players who can really play...but i think more likely, they get better "value" for Robertson by using him as part of a package in conjunction with a pick or other assets to get a bigger "impact" player somewhere.

Reactions: Ducks

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Mostly fair tho idk that they hit waivers much… and if they do they usually don’t make it to where the leafs get a shot at them

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Seems like a loss for Toronto. Trading a guy who produces half a point a game rate and will keep getting better for a guy who's appears to be just a 4th liner with toughness. We'd have to add to get Robertson.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad