Rumor: Toronto among others interested in KHL record breaking goalie

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Sounds like the product of a strong team. IDK
Can’t say I agree.

Now admittedly I’ve never watched the guy, but even when just glancing at his stats the guy has consistently put up good to great numbers throughout his career so far. To me that usually suggests good good player rather than good team/system. Especially because he’s played for more than one team and still posting good numbers. Including junior as well.

To me this looks like a potentially very good goalie who has been overlooked this far into his career simply because he’s short for a goalie.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Goalies are weird to project. Sure he's doing great there but no guarantee he can carry that play in the best league globally. I'd be weary on contract for him. Especially because other teams will have interest too. No need to get caught in a bidding war.

Reactions: Morrison

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
KHL save percentages don't make sense.

League average shooting percentage is 8.1, yet almost all the goalies have a save percentage well over .919. Maybe posts count as a save but not a shot?

Reactions: Morrison

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
KHL aint the NHL. Alot of their goalies have eye popping stats when put side by side to NHL goalie stats.

Never seen the guy play, so I guess he'd at least be worth taking a flyer on. I wouldn't be bending over backwards trying to land the guy though.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
With record breaking numbers, he might be out of their price range

Since Bilyalov would be 25 if he were to sign for next season, he'd be required to sign a 1 year, 2 way ELC. I suppose a team could offer bonuses but those would probably be tough to attain for somebody who might not necessarily be a shoo-in for backup. But it's not as though a team can offer him a big dollar multiyear deal.

Reactions: 7even

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Wish they were interested in drafting Askarov out of the KHL.
We never know where the team will end up, but I think the Leafs would want Carolina to draft with our pick this year. At the latest possible slot.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Can’t say I agree.

Now admittedly I’ve never watched the guy, but even when just glancing at his stats the guy has consistently put up good to great numbers throughout his career so far. To me that usually suggests good good player rather than good team/system. Especially because he’s played for more than one team and still posting good numbers. Including junior as well.

To me this looks like a potentially very good goalie who has been overlooked this far into his career simply because he’s short for a goalie.
When he faces only 21-22 shots per game, it helps a lot.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Why is it that Toronto always gets leaked but not “others” when there is multiple teams interested in a player

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
You’re missing the point. Dawes was a middling middle-6 forward in the NHL, even when he could stay up with the big club. He goes over to the KHL, and he’s perennially top-10 in scoring, even after hitting age 30.

He also remains the best goal scorer of the 2000s in the WHL. I wouldn't judge him solely based on the opportunities he was given with grinders in the NHL.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Well... Leafs have tried goalies as such in recent years:
- maybe its time to try Hasek type/sized goalie?

6 foot 4 / 230 lbs - Andersen
6 foot 3 / 210 lbs - Hutchinson
6 foot 2 / 205 lbs - Sparks
6 foot 2 / 204 lbs - McElhinney

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad