Rumor: Toronto among others interested in KHL record breaking goalie

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I mean this in a very literal sense: He can't get here soon enough.

His current contract expires April 30th. It isn't like he can be in the Leafs net next week. Hope he signs in Toronto and makes a career here. But this isn't an answer for the current backup problem, as far as I can tell.

Unless I am misunderstanding something, he can't play for the Leafs this season. Someone please let me know if that's not the case.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I don't think anyone is suggesting the Leafs want to sign and bring him over this season. More like for next season it's a cheap backup with potential. Seems to be a few confused posters here.

And that's assuming the Leafs even get him, there are multiple teams interested.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Worth a try. To expect to be a NHL backup right away might be a bit to much to ask. Might have to let him get comfortable in the ahl.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
If you look at this guy's stats, he's faced 346 shots in 16 games, with 331 saves. Besides this being a ridiculously short sample, in any case this guy faced less than 22 shots per game on average. Seems like he's got a good defense...

There's another goalie, Alexander Samonov, who also played 16 games, has a similar sv% (95.3%, vs Bilyalov @ 95.7%) but faced 516 shots or more than 32 a game on average. This looks more impressive to me.

There's yet another goalie, Vasily Koshechkin, who has played way more games (32 = double the games) than these two, still retains an impressive 94.2 sv%, while facing 29 shots per game on average.

Furthermore, it seems like goalies in the KHL seem to have an inflated save%: 2 are above 95%, 4 are above 94%, 10 are above 93%, 15 are above 92%.
There's 14 goalies in the KHL below 2.00 GA, in the NHL there's 2 (and the top one would be tied for 12th in the KHL).

I mean, this guy might be something special or might simply be the product of this league. I would put money on the latter, if I had to.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
5'10" is certainly small... But I'd say he would be a solid guy to target for teams desperate for goaltending help.

A few teams now have found some goaltending success picking from the carcass of the KHL :laugh:

Colorado in particular I believe has found a gem in Pavel Francouz. He put up similar numbers to Bilyalov his last 2 years in the league and now he's putting up some damn impressive numbers in the NHL this year, making a case to be a starter somewhere if not Colorado with Grubauer here(Personally I think he might take the starters spot from Grubauer by seasons end giving the Avs a real difficult decision in the off-season).

Francouz isn't a big goalie either playing at just 6'0", and he's a southpaw guy.

Reactions: hamzarocks

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I still have a hard time taking KHL success seriously when Nigel Dawes continues to light it up over there.

Pavel Francouz excelled in the KHL and is killing it in the NHL. They have some good goalies over there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad