Confirmed with Link: Torey Krug (7 years @ $6.5m)

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
As someone who has 3 kids, I'm not buying it. Kids usually don't make lifelong friends in elementary school, so the reasoning of a full NMC to ensure stability for his kids doesn't hold water with me.
Well, my wife did, but whatever.

It's not about making lifelong friends, it's about not disrupting routines and giving your kids a better quality of life. There's plenty of research out there about how changing schools, or moving in general, can negatively affect children.

If you don't think family reasons has anything to do with it, then what do you think he wants control over where he lives for? Just to be a pain in the ass for his GM?

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
It's clearly not about his kids working, or just about the money (as if that wasn't obvious from the get-go). It's about things like not having to yank your kids out of school and move them to a new city one or more times during the next contract because your GM thinks it is what's best for the team.

He was in a position where he could guarantee that would never happen, and now he has. If only every family could be so lucky.

If you're a father and don't put any value in that, then I don't know what to say except that there are a lot of people who do.

It’s been widely pointed out how Vegas has the shiny new toy syndrome. It’s true that Pietrangelo got his desired NMC but this doesn’t guarantee he’s going to be in Vegas for the next 7 years. His contract can always be bought out and we’ve seen players waive to be traded when circumstances are toxic or for other reasons.

Honest question is do you really think he’ll play out the entire contract in Vegas? I don’t. Five years probably but I don’t see 7 happening. We shall see but if he’s bought out or traded eventually all this posturing was for nothing.

Reactions: mike1320

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
I'm questioning Petro's statement that his first choice was to stay in STL, even though he had a private jet parked on the tarmac waiting to shuttle him off to Vegas within 24 hours of free agency. Not only that, I don't see any situation whatsoever where Army signs Faulk unless he's 100% sure there's no way he can find common ground with Petro. As a GM, if you sign Faulk over Petro you get fired on the spot 10 out of 10 times.
UFA is a tool for players to seek out offers and get an idea from other teams on where they stand. Was the Petro camp supposed to wait a week for all the teams to use their cap space before they went talked to people? I think the fact he had a plane lined up with only one destination shows you how small his list was.

Didn’t Tavares talk to a bunch of teams and fly out to multiple locations for presentations when he went to UFA?

mike1320

Ok, so now we're circling back to whether Petro is being genuine. I mean, if you dont believe he is, that's fine. But then again, so what? The man was offered more money per year, and a full NMC. Why should he turn that down?
I have a question for you. Do you think, if both contracts are equal, he chooses STL over Vegas? Another question, at what point should he have conceded on less money and loss of control to where even YOU would say management is being unreasonable?
If he was after maximum $$$ and security, more power to him. He got what he was after. If he loved STL and had no desire to test free agency, he could've stayed here for (from what I've read) roughly the same amount of money and protection at the tail end of his contract.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
It’s been widely pointed out how Vegas has the shiny new toy syndrome. It’s true that Pietrangelo got his desired NMC but this doesn’t guarantee he’s going to be in Vegas for the next 7 years. His contract can always be bought out and we’ve seen players waive to be traded when circumstances are toxic or for other reasons.

Honest question is do you really think he’ll play out the entire contract in Vegas? I don’t. Five years probably but I don’t see 7 happening. We shall see but if he’s bought out or traded eventually all this posturing was for nothing.
If he's traded, it will be because he wants to be traded.

I seriously doubt he'll be bought out. That's just not something that happens very often with players of his caliber, even as they age.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
If he's traded, it will be because he wants to be traded.

I seriously doubt he'll be bought out. That's just not something that happens very often with players of his caliber, even as they age.

Ok but give me the % you believe he’s going to be in Vegas for the tenure of the contract.

mike1320

Well, my wife did, but whatever.

It's not about making lifelong friends, it's about not disrupting routines and giving your kids a better quality of life. There's plenty of research out there about how changing schools, or moving in general, can negatively affect children.

If you don't think family reasons has anything to do with it, then what do you think he wants control over where he lives for? Just to be a pain in the ass for his GM?
Maybe he felt like he reached the pinnacle here and wanted a new challenge? Maybe there's some sort of weird situation where he had to bail because he had a side piece (ala Pronger bailing Edmonton and going to Anaheim to save his marriage). I don't know. I'm sure you don't have privy to know either.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
As someone who has 3 kids, I'm not buying it. Kids usually don't make lifelong friends in elementary school, so the reasoning of a full NMC to ensure stability for his kids doesn't hold water with me.
Whether you make friends who will stay with you for life or not you usually have a frw friends you keep in co tact with at least through high school or so.

And it is still a big deal regardless to sudden move to a new city where you absolutely know 0 people at all and have to start over again as a kid. Ask kids wjo grew up with traveling parents how much they enjoyed suddenly being uprooted and moved to a new city at seconds notice.

mike1320

UFA is a tool for players to seek out offers and get an idea from other teams on where they stand. Was the Petro camp supposed to wait a week for all the teams to use their cap space before they went talked to people? I think the fact he had a plane lined up with only one destination shows you how small his list was.

Didn’t Tavares talk to a bunch of teams and fly out to multiple locations for presentations when he went to UFA?
Conversely, what were the Blues supposed to do?

mike1320

Whether you make friends who will stay with you for life or not you usually have a frw friends you keep in co tact with at least through high school or so.

And it is still a big deal regardless to sudden move to a new city where you absolutely know 0 people at all and have to start over again as a kid. Ask kids wjo grew up with traveling parents how much they enjoyed suddenly being uprooted and moved to a new city at seconds notice.
Again, his kids will be less than 10 years old before his contract expires. I don't know the exact numbers, but most kids don't make lifelong friends at that age unless they live in a tiny village

blues80

Dec 10, 2018
Maybe he felt like he reached the pinnacle here and wanted a new challenge? Maybe there's some sort of weird situation where he had to bail because he had a side piece (ala Pronger bailing Edmonton and going to Anaheim to save his marriage). I don't know. I'm sure you don't have privy to know either.
Doubt it

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
If he was after maximum $$$ and security, more power to him. He got what he was after. If he loved STL and had no desire to test free agency, he could've stayed here for (from what I've read) roughly the same amount of money and protection at the tail end of his contract.
We have no idea what the signing bonus money for Vegas looks like yet, but I would imagine it's more than the Blues were offering. That offers a very real financial advantage to Pietrangelo.

Armstrong said there was a "partial NMC" for a limited number of years at the end of the contract. I don't know what that means, exactly, but it sure isn't the protection of a full NMC for the duration of his contract.

I'm not sure why you think he ever loved St. Louis as a place to live. His wife is from here, and he has youngsters that were born here, and he enjoyed his time with the team. Those are all good reasons to stay, and they all probably factored into his preference to stay, but it doesn't mean that he personally loves the city to the point where he couldn't imagine living or playing someplace else, and that he would do whatever it takes to stay here.

There's really no reason why we should expect him to feel that way, or even to feel slighted if he doesn't.

mike1320

We have no idea what the signing bonus money for Vegas looks like yet, but I would imagine it's more than the Blues were offering. That offers a very real financial advantage to Pietrangelo.

Armstrong said there was a "partial NMC" for a limited number of years at the end of the contract. I don't know what that means, exactly, but it sure isn't the protection of a full NMC for the duration of his contract.

I'm not sure why you think he ever loved St. Louis as a place to live. His wife is from here, and he has youngsters that were born here, and he enjoyed his time with the team. Those are all good reasons to stay, and they all probably factored into his preference to stay, but it doesn't mean that he personally loves the city to the point where he couldn't imagine living or playing someplace else, and that he would do whatever it takes to stay here.

There's really no reason why we should expect him to feel that way, or even to feel slighted if he doesn't.
But spending a few days out in Las Vegas was enough to convince him that that's the place to raise his kids? C'mon, man.

pdavemoney

May 29, 2019
Roughly? I'm pretty sure it wasn't even close to a full NMC. You keep saying if he really wanted to stay here. You do understand that he might've really wanted to stay here, and felt like he was conceding on money, but would not budge on security. It's pretty simple, do you believe he stays a Blue if both contracts are identical? If so then he is being genuine. He had a plane lined up to visit another team on first day of his UFA? I would be shocked if he didn't. DA had another player lined up to take Petros money as well. They both had backup plans. You and I aren't viewing this through the same lens...

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Conversely, what were the Blues supposed to do?

I don’t blame them for moving on either. It had gotten to the UFA period. GMs talk to players when the window opens.

I hate that we targeted Krug and paid him 6.5 x7 but I don’t get the hate for Petro having a plane lined up for if he did hit UFA. If there’s only a few destinations he really wants to play in, then they better make sure they do what they can to get a deal close to what they are looking for with one of those teams.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Ok but give me the % you believe he’s going to be in Vegas for the tenure of the contract.
Why? What does it matter?

I can't predict what might change, or when, and how that might or might not affect his desire to leave, and I'm not sure why you want me to make a wild guess. I can only say for certain that he's not moving unless it's on his terms. Even if he's bought out, which is super unlikely, he's still picking his next location, and he doesn't need to leave the city at all if he doesn't want to. He has more than enough money to live out the rest of his life in comfort.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Again, his kids will be less than 10 years old before his contract expires. I don't know the exact numbers, but most kids don't make lifelong friends at that age unless they live in a tiny village
It doesn't really matter if they make lifelong friends or not. Petro knows displacing your family a bunch can lead to a bunch of negative side affects, and I'm sure priority #1 is making sure his kids have somewhere they can call for their foreseeable future. Assuming he lives out his contract in Vegas, I'd imagine he stays there, or at least continues to raise his family there.

I implore you to go to google scholar and read the impacts of continual displacement of families. I'm not going to pretend Petro would've moved 3 or 4 times, but it's the reason you ask for a NMC.

mike1320

Roughly? I'm pretty sure it wasn't even close to a full NMC. You keep saying if he really wanted to stay here. You do understand that he might've really wanted to stay here, and felt like he was conceding on money, but would not budge on security. It's pretty simple, do you believe he stays a Blue if both contracts are identical? If so then he is being genuine. He had a plane lined up to visit another team on first day of his UFA? I would be shocked if he didn't. DA had another player lined up to take Petros money as well. They both had backup plans. You and I aren't viewing this through the same lens...
Army said that he didn't have Krug in his sights until after he knew Petro wasn't an option. And again, do you really think Army signs Faulk last year of he had any idea that it was possible to retain Petro?. No way. The writing was on the wall months ago.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
But spending a few days out in Las Vegas was enough to convince him that that's the place to raise his kids? C'mon, man.
You can raise kids anywhere just fine if you have enough money, which they do. They won't be on the strip. They'll be in some super-affluent neighborhood with great schools somewhere out in the suburbs.

mike1320

It doesn't really matter if they make lifelong friends or not. Petro knows displacing your family a bunch can lead to a bunch of negative side affects, and I'm sure priority #1 is making sure his kids have somewhere they can call for their foreseeable future. Assuming he lives out his contract in Vegas, I'd imagine he stays there, or at least continues to raise his family there.

I implore you to go to google scholar and read the impacts of continual displacement of families. I'm not going to pretend Petro would've moved 3 or 4 times, but it's the reason you ask for a NMC.
I bet you a six pack that Petro doesn't retire in Las Vegas.

pdavemoney

May 29, 2019
Army said that he didn't have Krug in his sights until after he knew Petro wasn't an option. And again, do you really think Army signs Faulk last year of he had any idea that it was possible to retain Petro?. No way. The writing was on the wall months ago.
Haha well now I'm the one who doesn't believe someone is being genuine. There is no way DA didnt have Krug circled as a possible target if Petro didnt sign before FA started. No way, no how. DA is too slick for that. And you're way too gullible if you believe him.
As far as Faulk, he was clearly a backup in case Petro didnt sign. Did DA know Petro wouldnt sign? No he didnt know that. He knew it was POSSIBLE, and therefore got out ahead of it. He has contingency plans B C and D I'm sure. It's his job. But I do believe he hoped to sign Petro yes. What else you got for me?

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I bet you a six pack that Petro doesn't retire in Las Vegas.
It doesn't matter if he does or doesn't. If he becomes so bad that they have to buy out an 8.8 mil contract, then he should be retiring. He has guaranteed his future, provided he doesn't have a disastrous injury or falls off a cliff like Backes.

mike1320

It doesn't matter if he does or doesn't. If he becomes so bad that they have to buy out an 8.8 mil contract, then he should be retiring. He has guaranteed his future, provided he doesn't have a disastrous injury or falls off a cliff like Backes.
The main point was regarding Petro's kids and locking in somewhere long term. I bet his kids won't even attend middle school in Vegas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad