GDT: TOR @ WSH - 7:30 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Just back from game. Brutal. Most crowded i have seen the building this year though.

Lots of things to pick at, but the biggest thing is our defense is slow and loses puck battles. Orlov was worst i have seen him. Fever is gassed for sure losing puck battles like he did to start the Rangers game. Kempny is also really bad right now. Turns everything into a puck battle even when it shouldn’t be. Just no flow.

first 2 months of the season, our D was spring boarding our offensive push with clean crisp quick outlet passes and jumping up in the rush. Now the puck gets dumped down into a corner and our guy gets it an just slaps it along the boards or loses the board battle.

Jensen was flying, Orlov was flying, the puck was quickly being played out of our zone and passes were tape to tape.

I had hopes when guys return our PP would come back to life and wed at least be exciting hockey to watch as we earn our annual first round exit ...

No hope left. The bad hockey isnt a rut, its not just a month or 2 funk .. its who we are. We just get bogged down in our own zone on D, guys are skating past us in the neutral zone, poor marking down low.

Reactions: marcel snapshot

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's almost as though stacking your blueline with softish puck-movers makes you vulnerable to heavy forechecking or something.

Reactions: um

itsjustsurvival

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.
Not sure I agree that it has much to do with the blueline not being tough. Although, I wouldn't complain if they were able to bring in someone physical that can also make a breakout pass. I really do not think a bruiser who treats the puck like a hand grenade will really fix much though.

A severe lack of speed and playmaking ability throughout the entire lineup really hurts their ability to transition. Not only would adding forwards who can skate and pass aid the transition game, but a team with multiple big wingers who can shoot well would really benefit from addressing this.

In most seasons, there are players on the Capitals that I really don't like because of salary or performance. But the last couple years, it's not that I hate any of the players, it's more that the overall composition needs to be tweaked.

And a competent goalie would be nice.

Reactions: Drakon and Hivemind

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Not sure I agree that it has much to do with the blueline not being tough. Although, I wouldn't complain if they were able to bring in someone physical that can also make a breakout pass. I really do not think a bruiser who treats the puck like a hand grenade will really fix much though.

A severe lack of speed and playmaking ability throughout the entire lineup really hurts their ability to transition. Not only would adding forwards who can skate and pass aid the transition game, but a team with multiple big wingers who can shoot well would really benefit from addressing this.

In most seasons, there are players on the Capitals that I really don't like because of salary or performance. But the last couple years, it's not that I hate any of the players, it's more that the overall composition needs to be tweaked.

And a competent goalie would be nice.

They won a Cup with generally PM/SAH defensive pairings. The stay at home guy doesn't have to be magical with the puck, just enough of a body and a presence back there to keep the forecheck honest and get the puck to the PMD.

Reactions: Neil Racki

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
This team has me so disinterested in hockey right now. I just check NHL.com every 30 minutes, see we are losing and go back to watching the news. Ukraine/Russia coverage is much more interesting.

Same. My gf's parents and brother are in the southern Kharkiv area. Heartbreaking, but still watching.

As for the Caps, they played better this game in general, but Fever losing his man multiple times, led to goals. Eller, JC, Kuzy, etc were liabilities the Caps could not overcome.

VV > Swimmin Sammy: At a min, watching both in the same game, finally convinced me VV is currently the best goalie on our roster....whcih isn't saying much.

Go team.

Reactions: Neil Racki

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
Same. My gf's parents and brother are in the southern Kharkiv area. Heartbreaking, but still watching.

As for the Caps, they played better this game in general, but Fever losing his man multiple times, led to goals. Eller, JC, Kuzy, etc were liabilities the Caps could not overcome.

VV > Swimmin Sammy: At a min, watching both in the same game, finally convinced me VV is currently the best goalie on our roster....whcih isn't saying much.

Go team.
Hope your family stays safe over there.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I don't think he gets there. Gordie is the goal now.
You post on every page in every Ovechkin thread on the main boards so we know what your position is :thumbu:

He has a 3.9 shooting percentage in 2022. Lowest on-ice shooting percentage of any player on the Caps since the calendar flipped. He’s not as dominant as he was the first few months of the season but he’s had brutal luck the last two months.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
You guys have no sense of humor. Crap talk in sports is dead because fans are so thin skinned now lol.

lol okay well I hope you were enjoying the trash talk when your boy Svechnikov decided to pick a fight with Ovie and got knocked unconscious by him that time :laugh:

Reactions: Drakon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad