Confirmed with Link: [TOR/STL] TOR acquires RD Jordan Schmaltz from STL for LD Andreas Borgman

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Schmaltz 2017-2018 season:

AHL:

23 points in 31 games, named to the AHL star team.

Gets called up after Petro goes down with injury.

Puts up an assist in 13 games, even +/- and good underlying numbers in limited minutes:

CF%: 52.17
SCF%: 55.71
xGF%: 50.28

Suffers a bad season ending concussion.

Schmaltz 2018-2019 season:

NHL numbers take a nosedive:

CF%: 40.55
SCF%: 42.54
xGF%: 41.89

He's sent back down to the A and his production dips significantly there as well (9 points in 36 games):

Concussion killed this guys game?

Reactions: cookie and Leafsman

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Feel like this might be that future consiteration that we got from St Louis feel like him being RD finishes the balance. So I will say we either won this trade by filling a need, or tied as they both have vague futures.

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
Borgman is probably the better player at the end of the day but organizational depth at RD is horrendous and they just need guys to try there. Schmaltz is by default the 3rd best right shot in the organization while Borgman might not crack NHL at this moment.

Reactions: Blair

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Think Schmaltz has the better chance of making the team, particularly as a RHD. Don't mind this move at all. Think Borgman would've been a spare at best.

Reactions: Nylander88

Blair

Oct 15, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Borgman is probably the better player at the end of the day but organizational depth at RD is horrendous and they just need guys to try there. Schmaltz is by default the 3rd best right shot in the organization while Borgman might not crack NHL at this moment.

Yeah, more or less. Think a placeholder is needed in that spot to start the year as I’m not convinced Lily wins it out of camp. Decent trade on both sides.

Edit: Holl doesn’t cut it btw. Schmaltz may not either but as an RD he has a better chance to be of use than Borg.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
It's pretty clear one of Harpur/Schmaltz are getting waived.
I think you just listed our third pairing haha Hakstol has familiarity with Schmaltz, I'm sure he put in a word for him. Harpur-Schmaltz to start with Marincin as the extra or rotating in. Weakest link of the 3 goes down when Dermott comes back, and second weakest link eats popcorn in the press box. I think Dubas likely felt annoyed with Babcock whining about "depth" and "lefty righty" D pairings. Seems to me like Dubas (as much as he can hogtied with the cap), is going out of his way to take away Babcock's excuses. Schmaltz gives him another righty option, and Dubas brought in a bunch of depth signings. He's giving Babcock options (again, within the limited cap space he has, I realize he didn't just bring in Drew Doughty) so that if things go poorly this year, Babcock signed his own death warrant

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I wonder if Dubas' moves this offseason is going to deter young notable European Free Agents.

Last few notable European Free Agents:

Zaitsev: Traded 3 years later
Borgman: Traded two years later
Rosen: Traded two years later
Ozhiganov: Leaves back for KHL 1 year later
Lindholm: Traded 6 months later

This all happened in essentially 1 year of Dubas being GM... :laugh: Four of these happened after we lured Mikheyev and Kivihalme.

Reactions: hn777 and Blair

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I wonder if Dubas' moves this offseason is going to deter young notable European Free Agents.

This all happened in essentially 1 year of Dubas being GM... :laugh: Four of these happened after we lured Mikheyev and Kivihalme.
Doubt it. The Marlies are a world class developmental team, so I assume players are just happy to use it to develop into an NHL player

Reactions: teddygmr

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Zaitsev had more the half the giveaways in the playoffs that Bozak, Gunnarsson, and Steen combined for.
Now we have Schmaltz, Ceci, Harpur... but somehow I don't think failure would rest solely on the hands of
Babcock if this season doesn't go much better.

Reactions: yubbers and ICBM

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Zaitsev had more the half the giveaways in the playoffs that Bozak, Gunnarsson, and Steen combined for.
Now we have Schmaltz, Ceci, Harpur... but somehow I don't think failure would rest solely on the hands of
Babcock if this season doesn't go much better.

Forgetting a pretty good RD that he added...

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

I think it'll be fine as they all had at least received an NHL opportunity with the Leafs. With the trades, four of the five either already have (Lindholm) or should continue to do so elsewhere as well.

Northofyu

Nov 12, 2018
Yeah, not a fan of Holl either so hopefully Schmaltz'll fit in on 3rd pair.

Was kinda rooting for Borgman, but wasn't meant to be.

Will be interesting to see reworked D.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008

European Free agents tend to go where there are lots of roster spots and opportunities. If Dubas does his job right, there shouldn't be many (if any) roster spots and opportunities should be limited. It would be nice to have a team and a system that didn't have to worry about European free agents. You go after a few of the big names, and if you get one then it's a bonus and if not - who cares.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
hi leafs fans

what's the philosophy behind all these minor moves from Dubas? is this an indictment on the previous GM at all (Dubas bringing guys that fit with his views for instance)?

Reactions: hn777

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
hi leafs fans

what's the philosophy behind all these minor moves from Dubas? is this an indictment on the previous GM at all (Dubas bringing guys that fit with his views for instance)?

We just wanted a warm RD body who might be better than Marincin or Holl.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I doubt Schmaltz makes the leafs. He cleared waivers in January and I suspect Babcock is going to want someone who can kill penalties as the #6 (which schmaltz doesn’t do). I think it’s more likely that the leafs will have 2 of gravel/Marincin/Harpur as the 6/7 guys with Dermott on his offside

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Yeah, not a fan of Holl either so hopefully Schmaltz'll fit in on 3rd pair.

Was kinda rooting for Borgman, but wasn't meant to be.

Will be interesting to see reworked D.

Not a fan of Holl either, but do we even know if he's any good or not? I feel like we basically haven't seen him play, and we're just taking Babcock's word for it at this point.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad