Confirmed Trade: [TOR/STL] Kyle Clifford for future considerations

RckyMtnBlue

Feb 28, 2014
I don't think I remember watching one game with him in the Note that I thought he was a NHL player. I thought he was completely worthless and glad he is gone.

Someone had posted he is from that area in Toronto so Army did him a solid getting him back home.

Wish him the best but glad we aren't paying him anything.

Reactions: hullsy47

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Good depth pickup that we know can play a bottom 6 role in the case of injury and there will be injury.

For now the marlies get an NHL caliber guy

Reactions: hullsy47

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
LW depth in the minors is iffy .. for minimal cost this is a fine move.

Besides he might be a valuable fill in for playoff time over a guy like Engvall

Reactions: banks

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
How on earth did Cliffy fall so quickly?

Just hard to believe he went from fourth line character hero to out of the league so fast
When you lose your legs it can go pretty fast. I even noticed it in his previous stint with the Leafs...the will to be physically engaged and making an impact was there. But he was to slow and was to far behind the play to actually consistently lay hits in and play his game.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
How on earth did Cliffy fall so quickly?

Just hard to believe he went from fourth line character hero to out of the league so fast

He's actually a fine #13/14 and would be a regular depth player on some bad teams. Nothing to write home about, but there are worse warm bodies getting NHL time right now.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I believe that even buried, he'll count for 100k against the Leafs cap, IIRC.

That being said, this is a reasonably ideal situation for Toronto, get some playoff depth in the toughness department, and might make it easier to digest moving Ritchie if he can't get going.

The maximum amount of a contract that can be buried is equal the league minimum salary + $375k.

In 2020-21 the league minimum was $700k, so $1.075m was the max amount.

In 2021-22 league minimum increased to $750k, so $1.25m is now the maximum portion of a contract that can be buried.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
also if I'm not mistaken, if a team loses a player through waivers, they have priority to claim him back should he be waived again. regardless of standings. not sure for how long though.

No.

The advantage they have is that if they are the only team to put a claim on the way back, they can assign to the AHL without waivers.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Honestly can't hurt too much since he barely makes more than league minimum. Leafs SHOULD churn through 4th liners given their cap limitations until they get satisfactory results.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Now the Leafs have someone ready to step in if one of the big 4 gets injured...
Really? Who? You think they would sign Ho Sang for that? Still a bit raw don't you think. I agree with you ( if that is the case) that he has played well.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Clifford can be assigned to the Marlies immediately, he's getting paid a small enough amount to burry, he's unlikely to be claimed if he does get a call-up, and the team mostly knows and likes the guy already.

Hard not to like the move. It's not a big deal, but it's smart. Just some added depth and toughness, even if it never ends up being needed.

Reactions: Ciao and uncleben

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Clifford can be assigned to the Marlies immediately, he's getting paid a small enough amount to burry, he's unlikely to be claimed if he does get a call-up, and the team mostly knows and likes the guy already.

Hard not to like the move. It's not a big deal, but it's smart. Just some added depth and toughness, even if it never ends up being needed.
Just to clarify, re-entry waivers are no longer a thing, so he wouldn't be at risk of being claimed if called up (unless he was on the NHL roster for 30 days or 10 games, and we sent him back down after)

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Honestly can't hurt too much since he barely makes more than league minimum. Leafs SHOULD churn through 4th liners given their cap limitations until they get satisfactory results.

I'm pretty sure he's just added depth to the Marlies. With Mikheyev about to come back from injury we already have too many forwards.

Reactions: Ciao

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Just to clarify, re-entry waivers are no longer a thing, so he wouldn't be at risk of being claimed if called up (unless he was on the NHL roster for 30 days or 10 games, and we sent him back down after)

Yes, sorry. That was a mixup in my word choices, not a mixup in waiver rules. I only meant in the event of a call-up he'll most likely be sent back down again eventually, and might require waivers at the time.

This thread is more full of waiver misunderstandings than any thread I can ever remember.

Reactions: uncleben

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad