Confirmed Trade: [TOR/STL] Kyle Clifford for future considerations

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Good pick up for the Marlies and if the leafs need some toughness in the lineup for a game or two during the season he’s there.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Damn. Guess that means I have to buy a Toronto jersey after all. :rolleyes:

Also I just realized this means Clifford and Simmonds will finally be reunited! They were awesome together!

antti-niemi-kyle-clifford-brad-richardson-wayne-simmonds-2011-4-17-0-30-37.jpeg

Reactions: Kurtz and banks

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
This is a move for the post season. He will be a good guy in the room but his value ( limited as it may be) will be in round # 1 if needed of course.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
They can put him on the top line after Ritchie flames out again, all the other plugs got a chance so why not a washed up Clifford

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Clifford signed with St Louis in good faith that they'd keep him for the duration, and they go and waive him then trade him for nothing.

Are players going to want to sign with St Louis, given that they're developing a reputation for disloyalty?

: sarcasm :
Marlies are a destination AHL team because they have NHL caliber facilities and their in the same city. Maybe it was requested by Cliff?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I believe that even buried, he'll count for 100k against the Leafs cap, IIRC.

That being said, this is a reasonably ideal situation for Toronto, get some playoff depth in the toughness department, and might make it easier to digest moving Ritchie if he can't get going.

Mar 12, 2009
He's definitely washed, but having depth never hurts during the Covid era.
If we can throw him into a couple games to punch a guy in the face when we're losing and getting pushed around, that's all he needs to be for me.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
How is it influenced then? Standings?
Exactly. Goes on standings (based on points percentage) on the day the waivers are requested, and having made a claim or having lost a player earlier in the year has no effect on the priority

There is no priority claim if it's a player you lost on waivers previously. That is another common myth

Reactions: Unbiased Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad