Confirmed with Link: TOR signs F Pontus Holmberg to 2 year ELC

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Somewhat presumptuous of you to know what I will say, no?

I simply feel that you draw a false moral equivalence to taking less and being a “good person”. Rather, I think he is free to do as he feels and it won’t change my perspective on him. Guy works hard and deserves whatever he chooses. He was a treat to watch in a leaf uniform either way.

Would he become a legend if he stayed here on a cheap deal? You’re damn right he would.
I agree. There is nothing wrong with getting paid what you are worth.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
What's shameful about it?

Hyman appears ready to enter UFA looking at a 6 million. Hyman is extremely rich and this was an argument people were using saying he would give us a discount due to having come from wealth while marner(some people's defense) was that he wasn't rich growing up so his 10.9M was fair.

Holmberg being a 40 point player is shameful? That's pretty much the best case scenario with him. He can come in and play a similar role to AJ when he was here

Hyman has given his all here for 6 years, including playing on a torn knee. He's been great - if we had 3 more Hymans, we'd be up 2-0 on the Jets right now.

For his services, he has earned a grand total of $10.1m over those 6 years. That's less than what Marner makes in 1 year.

He's 29. He has maybe 3 prime years left. He deserves to finally be paid what he's worth.

Now it's true that his parents are rich. But that's his parents' money. Do you view your parents' money as your money? I'm not a fan of that kind of attitude, and I would imagine that most folks aren't either.

Reactions: stickty111
Sep 18, 2009
Hyman has given his all here for 6 years, including playing on a torn knee. He's been great - if we had 3 more Hymans, we'd be up 2-0 on the Jets right now.

For his services, he has earned a grand total of $10.1m over those 6 years. That's less than what Marner makes in 1 year.

He's 29. He has maybe 3 prime years left. He deserves to finally be paid what he's worth.

Now it's true that his parents are rich. But that's his parents' money. Do you view your parents' money as your money? I'm not a fan of that kind of attitude, and I would imagine that most folks aren't either.
Trade marner sign hyman problem solved

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Is he coming to North America this year, or is he staying in Europe? I can’t recall his contract status.

he has a pretty good development curve, and considered cerebral and smart on both sides of the book. Here’s hoping it translates.

on an aside, is Hallander coming over? Also can’t recall.

I think CJ said Holmberg is staying in Sweden one more year. He had one more year with Vaxjo after this one, which is why I thought the Leafs would wait, but I guess the Leafs are going to honour it by loaning him back. Probably the best for his development.

Hallander is coming over next year. Not sure about Kallgren.

Reactions: aingefan

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Save us Holmberg. Become an Andreas Johnsson level winger next year. Could use a cheap 40 points to replace Hyman who's probably going to snake us and chase money despite his personal wealth

Pretty simple, IMO...

You can afford to sign Hyman for 5.0 million, if you deem the associated term acceptable, and move Morgan Reilly in a hockey trade, before you have to pay him big money next summer. Asset management for a guy who can't run the PP and isn't worth the 7.0 million+ that he's going to want.

12 Forwards
Matthews: 11.6 million
Tavares: 11.0 million
Marner: 10.9 million
Nylander: 7.0 million
Hyman: 5.0 million
Mikheyev: 1.6 million
Galchenyuk: 1.5 million
Simmonds: 1.0 million
Semyonov: 825k
Robertson: 825k
Brooks: 725k
Spezza: 700k

5 Defense
Muzzin: 5.6 million
Brodie: 5.0 million
Holl: 2.0 million
Bogosian: 2.0 million
Sandin: 900k

1 Goalie
Campbell: 1.7 million

Kessel cap retention: 1.2 million

Total: Roughly $71,000,000

You have $10,500,000 to sign / acquire...

2 forwards
2 defensemen
1 goalie

That's more than enough money if you want to keep Hyman.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

He'll take a discount, but I don't know how big of one before he's insulted. It's a fine line. He probably has attachments to the city of Toronto deeper than anyone else on the team.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
He'll take a discount, but I don't know how big of one before he's insulted. It's a fine line. He probably has attachments to the city of Toronto deeper than anyone else on the team.

A discount will probably be about 5.0 million. Maybe 4.85 if we're lucky. Somebody is going to offer him 3-4 years x 5.5m, so the discount will come in that 4.85-5.0 range, IMO.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
What is the true comparable of Hyman with the flat cap? Toffoli was signed for 4.25mil as a UFA last season with the flat cap. Lowry, Laughton and Brown all signed for around 3mil.
I really don’t see how a team is willing to pay 5mil for Hyman in the open market with revenue actually lower than last season due to less games, a lot less gate revenue and less game day revenue for sales.
Leafs will be stupid to offer Hyman 5mil deal.
The more I look at it, the more I think he is around 3.5mil at the most.

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
What is the true comparable of Hyman with the flat cap? Toffoli was signed for 4.25mil as a UFA last season with the flat cap. Lowry, Laughton and Brown all signed for around 3mil.
I really don’t see how a team is willing to pay 5mil for Hyman in the open market with revenue actually lower than last season due to less games, a lot less gate revenue and less game day revenue for sales.
Leafs will be stupid to offer Hyman 5mil deal.
The more I look at it, the more I think he is around 3.5mil at the most.
Well they’re managements always been stupid why do you think this would stop

Reactions: Gabriel426

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
Pretty simple, IMO...

You can afford to sign Hyman for 5.0 million, if you deem the associated term acceptable, and move Morgan Reilly in a hockey trade, before you have to pay him big money next summer. Asset management for a guy who can't run the PP and isn't worth the 7.0 million+ that he's going to want.

12 Forwards
Matthews: 11.6 million
Tavares: 11.0 million
Marner: 10.9 million
Nylander: 7.0 million
Hyman: 5.0 million
Mikheyev: 1.6 million
Galchenyuk: 1.5 million
Simmonds: 1.0 million
Semyonov: 825k
Robertson: 825k
Brooks: 725k
Spezza: 700k

5 Defense
Muzzin: 5.6 million
Brodie: 5.0 million
Holl: 2.0 million
Bogosian: 2.0 million
Sandin: 900k

1 Goalie
Campbell: 1.7 million

Kessel cap retention: 1.2 million

Total: Roughly $71,000,000

You have $10,500,000 to sign / acquire...

2 forwards
2 defensemen
1 goalie

That's more than enough money if you want to keep Hyman.
When the hell do we stop paying for Phil with the salary retention?

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

Most hockey players comes from money. That desont mean they shouldn't be what their worth. Unlike Marner, Hyman has proven his worth and earned every penny

Out of all people I can't believe people are criticizing this guy

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad