Confirmed with Link: TOR sign F Alex Steeves to 3 year ELC

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
That was the first thing I noticed. He looks tremendously slow. Those first few strides in the last clip aren't going to cut it in even in the AHL.

Wouldn't go that far. It's a definite weakness but he'll be ok at the AHL level.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
That was the first thing I noticed. He looks tremendously slow. Those first few strides in the last clip aren't going to cut it in even in the AHL.
I thought he looked slow too from a couple clips I seen, the Leafs will probably turn him into a winger

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Maybe decent pick up down da line ... straight line skating needs work to increase speed like Sandin ... also looks pretty small and gets moved around ice pretty easy ... not gonna help us this year in playoffs

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
I got it from a bunch of websites. He looks fairly legit as a potential complementary top 9 prospect and since he is late 99', he just turned 21 a few months ago (which makes him a lot more attractive than guys like Kawaguchi and Tufto who have already turned 24). Plenty of time for Steeves to develop his game even further, and he has done well at pretty much every level he's played at (PPG in the USHL in his draft year).

In terms of immediate impact, he may not be the top guy, but he is still of prospect age and he plays the kind of game you would have seen out of a guy like Trevor Moore but in a slightly larger (but still not huge) frame.

As I said, I had him as the top NCAA UFA this year but I didn't think the Leafs would be able to realistically land him. I would put him as a top 15 prospect in our system right now and he could easily rocket up the boards.

Matt Kiersted is now the top remaining guy on my board. Ben Meyers or especially Marc McLaughlin would also be a solid addition to our pool.
Bumping this because it is a must read

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Great pair of hands. Passed up a lot of chances to pass to instead shoot from poorer locations but maybe his shot makes that a good play.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
To be fair some of those goals would likely go in on a lot of goalies. If he’s able to improve on his skating I can see him having an nhl career from what I’ve read and seen

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
his production certainly tracks with other guys who went on to be contributors in the NHL. I think he could be a slightly better version of Trevor Moore if he improves his skating

Reactions: stickty111

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Alex Steeves could be the first star out of Hayley Wickenheiser’s Leafs lab | The Star

Alex Steeves feels the guinea pig in Hayley Wickenheiser’s science project.

Steeves was a highly regarded free agent out of the Univeristy of Notre Dame, freshly signed by the Maple Leafs, when Wickenheiser was named the team’s senior director of player development this spring.

“I think I was one of the first players she’s really worked with one on one since she got promoted to her new role,” Steeves said. “So I think we learned a lot from each other. I think in some ways I was probably a bit of a guinea pig for her. And I think her and I are pretty similar in terms of our mental approach. Obviously, she’s got a much better career than I could probably dream of.”

Wickenheiser, the Hockey Hall of Famer with four Olympic gold medals, ran the Leafs’ five-day development camp that will now morph over to a five-team rookie tournament in Travers City, Mich., later this week. And she seems high on Steeves, a dual Canadian-American citizen who played the bulk of his minor hockey in New Hampshire and is now looking at a top six role with the Toronto Marlies.

“To me, he looks like a pro player on the ice,” Wickenheiser said. “He’s a man, the way he’s built."

“And he continues to put in the work. So there’s no concerns for his work ethic or his ability to show up every day and be a professional on the ice. He’s very diligent and a very serious guy. I like his approach and I also thought he had a solid camp.”

Steeves was one of the standouts in the development camp. Playing mostly with Nick Robertson, he scored four goals for Blue in a 6-0 win over White in a Monday scrimmage. Ian Scott, Keith Petruzzi and Taylor Gauthier each played a period for Blue and shared the shutout. Robertson, who fed Steeves continually, scored a goal as well.

“I’ve never really had the pleasure of playing with (Steeves) until today, actually,” Robertson said. “So it was great to get chemistry like that, just like that. He’s a player that’s a little bigger than me and he skate, he can get in the corners and give me the puck, let me do my thing."

“He’s got a great shot. He can really shoot the puck, I can shoot the puck. If I can get it in his area, he can score. If he gets in mine, I can score. He’s a great asset, a great addition to the organization.”

Steeves, who is five-foot-11 and 185 pounds, had 15 goals and 32 points in 29 games for Notre Dame and was a second team all-star in the Big Ten Conference. He was born in Bedford, N.H., after his Canadian parents moved there and, while the family spent time in Minnesota, the bulk of his childhood was spent in New Hampshire until Steeves joined Sioux City of the USHL while in high school.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Haha Robertson "...give me the puck, let me do my thing". Love his confidence and that he sees himself as a line driver.

Reassuring to hear a player straight up say they have a great shot and can score too. You just know this guys going to rip it on net as soon as the puck touches his stick. We need more of that around here especially in the playoffs and on the powerplay.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Culled from various prospect reviews:

Position of strength: success as Left shooting right winger (can obviously left left wing though and some time at centre)
Top Skill: Can absolute wire the puck.
Style: Shooter and a bit of a puck hound, not afraid of traffic or the front of the next
Creativity: Has skill and vision to look for teammates' opportunities
Speed: No mention so must be adequate
Flaws: No major flaws that need focus-Maybe being too fancy sometimes....also sized at 5'11" 185 at 21 years old.

Write up kind of looks like Jared McCann actually.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Nothing wrong with his skating at all. His feet are fine. His recovery under his body is fine. The man is an NHL skater.

He has a nice shot but shoots off of one foot and he needs to work on his release to add more deception. Looks like a solid prospect who can play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad