Confirmed with Link: TOR sign F Alex Steeves to 3 year ELC

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Another thing is this likely makes up for the Riley Stotts miss in the late 3rd round. This guy would rank in about the same kind of range a late 3rd round prospect would rank in our system.

Riley Stotts wouldn't be a bad AHL contract though. Ryan McGregor is putting up a 0.5 PPG as a defensive center in Tuscon right now so some of these prospects have promise.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
GranularNextDotterel-size_restricted.gif

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
There is a poster chasing around everyone that speaks remote positively about the signing to tell them that it's not a guarantee he becomes the best player in the league.

Really? Wow, OK then, sorry my bad. I haven't read the entire thread as it's just not that interesting to me but I guess I shouldn't be surprised that someone is talking nonsense. Has there ever been a nonsense free thread in this place?

I did notice one post where IIRC someone said Dubas should be focusing other things which also seems pretty silly - I'm pretty sure this signing which is of little consequence isn't taking him away from more important duties.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Another thing is this likely makes up for the Riley Stotts miss in the late 3rd round. This guy would rank in about the same kind of range a late 3rd round prospect would rank in our system.

Riley Stotts wouldn't be a bad AHL contract though. Ryan McGregor is putting up a 0.5 PPG as a defensive center in Tuscon right now so some of these prospects have promise.
I never understood why we let McGregor go. A center with a strong 2 way game and lots of speed would have been great to try and groom for a bottom 6 role.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Nice signing. Glad they're going to the NCAA for some prospects. Was worried we're targeting more European UFAs

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Never heard of him but don’t see the harm in the signing, hopefully it works out.

He’ll be playing tonight?

Reactions: egd27

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
As an intellectual, I am here to tell you all this prospect may or may not but most likely won’t be a regular NHL player.

Carry on

Can you identify a sure thing goalie prospect from college? We could use one of them.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I never understood why we let McGregor go. A center with a strong 2 way game and lots of speed would have been great to try and groom for a bottom 6 role.

Low offensive ceiling would be my guess. We added Pontus Holmberg who has a similar kind of game too.

25 goals in your D+2 year in the OHL, sucking in the OHL playoffs, and not standing out in his Marlies audition killed him. Better than Stotts who did not even receive one of said auditions nor a chance at the WHL playoffs due to Covid.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Culled from various prospect reviews:

Position of strength: success as Left shooting right winger (can obviously left left wing though and some time at centre)
Top Skill: Can absolute wire the puck.
Style: Shooter and a bit of a puck hound, not afraid of traffic or the front of the next
Creativity: Has skill and vision to look for teammates' opportunities
Speed: No mention so must be adequate
Flaws: No major flaws that need focus-Maybe being too fancy sometimes....also sized at 5'11" 185 at 21 years old.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If you're really really patient, there will be several experts with scouting acumen that rivals that of Craig Button "TSN Director of Scouting" who will lay out the upside, downside and all around the town side of Alex Steeves.
:laugh: Love the self importance of those guys.

Reactions: therealkoho

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I like this signing. I have done a little reading on him over the past 24 hours since the signing as I never heard of him before. But he sounds like Hyman 2.0

He's a possession rat, not afraid to go into the tough areas, has an above average shot, likes to throw the body. He was forced to play a two-way game in Notre Dame as the team really relied on him in all aspects of the game. Would have realistically put up better stats on a better team with better teammates, Notre Dame doesnt have the skill set that some other teams had in college the past couple of years. He can play RW with his left handed shot, but can also play LW and C.

To me this is a good signing, its everything that the Leafs look for in a player. Someone that can retrieve and possess pucks at a high rate.

I agree with what some have been saying. With the stagnet salary cap for the next couple of years, it is probably a good route to take to try and find the next Hyman or Bozak in the college ranks as free agents. Sooner or later we may find someone on the cheap that will contribute at a lesser price.

Lets hope this kid is the one. He has the makings of being just that.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I thought NCAA UFA players could only sign 2 years and the 1st year had to be at the big team level? Am I thinking of something else?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad