Confirmed with Link: TOR sign F Alex Steeves to 3 year ELC

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Casey Bailey or smtn?

Bailey was an economics major.

He was a guy who was also very highly touted at the time, and the Leafs poached him from Buffalo at the last second. One key difference between him and Steeves though Steeves is 2 years younger and arguably has fewer issues in terms of skating and overall ability. Casey Bailey recently turned 23 when we signed him; Steeves turned 21 in December 2020. We are getting a guy who is half a year older than Filip Hallander.

Realistic expectation would be he at least becomes as good as Trevor Moore. If he really turns out, you are likely looking at another Alex Iafallo. Steeves is 2 years younger than when LA signed Iafallo, but I can see them working out the same way.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Nice signing.

I wouldn't bet a nickle on him making it to th he NHL, but then again I wouldn't bet against that either.

It's a no-risk signing that at worst deepens their prospect pool.

What's not to like about it?

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Bailey was an economics major.

He was a guy who was also very highly touted at the time, and the Leafs poached him from Buffalo at the last second. One key difference between him and Steeves though Steeves is 2 years younger and arguably has fewer issues in terms of skating and overall ability. Casey Bailey recently turned 23 when we signed him; Steeves turned 21 in December 2020. We are getting a guy who is half a year older than Filip Hallander.

Realistic expectation would be he at least becomes as good as Trevor Moore. If he really turns out, you are likely looking at another Alex Iafallo. Steeves is 2 years younger than when LA signed Iafallo, but I can see them working out the same way.
If he becomes a Trevor Moore, I’m ecstatic. I loved that guy.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Nice signing.

I wouldn't bet a nickle on him making it to th he NHL, but then again I wouldn't bet against that either.

It's a no-risk signing that at worst deepens their prospect pool.

What's not to like about it?
Agreed.
Even if he’s AHL strong, leading to a stronger team that wins more, that helps development and is a fine outcome.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Great signing. To nab the top college UFA who is only 21 years old is solid news.

Interesting that this is the first NCAA signings by the Leafs since 2019 (Duszak) and only their 2nd signing in four years. His two-way ability and goal scoring touch should translate well to the AHL/NHL. I don't see the skating concerns. Certainly not a burner but it shouldn't hold him back.

ExmY5mOWYAcXLbc

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Casey Bailey or smtn?
No not them. Darn I forget the kids name but I believe he had one more year to go to get his engineering degree. He decided to sign with us. It was about 7 years ago I think. The only reason I remember the incident is it was such a big scoop for us. Turns out it wasn't but whatever maybe this guy makes it.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Casey Bailey or smtn?
No not them. Darn, I forget the kids name but I believe he had one more year to go to get his engineering degree. He decided to sign with us. It was about 7 years ago I think. The only reason I remember the incident is it was such a big scoop for us. Turns out it wasn't but whatever maybe this guy makes it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I disagree. In Babcocks opening presser he said he would make Toronto a FA destination and a safe place for Ontario born players to come home and play. He said it was not good.

We would get the 2nd tier FAs only.

Well, Alex Steeves would fall under the second tier, if that. College and European signings are an annual event in picking up free wallets that Toronto has never had issues with acquiring.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Isn't that the one who signed with Ottawa but was traded here as a contract spot? Max Veronneau I believe?
I think I was thinking of Jerry D'amigo. Yeah the Leafs apparently did draft him but there was concern he was going the college route and after one apparently great season there the Leafs got him to sign.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Isn't that the one who signed with Ottawa but was traded here as a contract spot? Max Veronneau I believe?
I was actually pretty excited to have him for the Marlies. He was a guy I was interested in before OTT signed him.
Sounds like he was a victim of the pandemic, as with no guarantee of the AHL even playing, he left in the night. Had a decent showing in his first season in Europe (24-11-6-17 SHL)

From top touted NCAA free agent to gone in two years was quick. Wonder if the Leafs/Marlies would have interested in bringing him back next year.

Reactions: kb

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I was actually pretty excited to have him for the Marlies. He was a guy I was interested in before OTT signed him.
Sounds like he was a victim of the pandemic, as with no guarantee of the AHL even playing, he left in the night. Had a decent showing in his first season in Europe (24-11-6-17 SHL)

From top touted NCAA free agent to gone in two years was quick. Wonder if the Leafs/Marlies would have interested in bringing him back next year.

He was pretty underwhelming in the AHL and just turned 25.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Dubas is really good at finding udfa talent, if he thinks this guy is worth a contract then there's probably a good chance he's an NHL talent.

One thing I notice in the highlights is that he has a bit of an awkward skating stance at full speed with his upper body sort of laid out in front of his legs, and he seems to be wasting a lot of energy at the end of his stride. So maybe a good project for Underhill.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Two subtle but effective things I noticed in the short highlight clips. He shoots , at times, off the wrong foot which always screws up a goalies timing (and not enough players do in my opinion) and his timing on passes and shots immediately after beating an opponent is great... Too many players will beat someone with a move and take too long to pass or shoot which gives defencemen and goalies more time to get set. He "seems" to be an intelligent player with skills so it doesn't surprise me that KD signed him.
We have that Matthews kid that shoots like that and he’s doing okay. I’m low key a big fan of the signing- scouching had good things to say about the guy in his draft year, the issue being size and skating. And that’s what the organization is focusing on: smaller, mediocre skaters who can thrive in systems based hockey and a cutting edge developmental system. He’s 21 so there’s some chance to straighten some of his skating issues. I want to see him get some reps with the Marlies and get his feet wet as an all-purpose bottom six guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad