Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Roman Polak (1 year, $2.25M)

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Polak seems like an insurance policy. I think they want Carrick on the team, probably on the third pairing; and we don't know what we have in Zaitsev.

So, if Carrick seems like he needs more AHL time or Zaitsev can't handle the NHL, then all of a sudden we have a dearth of NHL d-men.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
We know Babcock played Carrick and Marinchin played 16+ mins last year when Polak was traded. Not 6 mins a game. I think most would agree they developed fine when they were given the chance on the NHL roster. So well, they are now considered a part of the Leafs future where Lamoriello even said Carrick is one of the team's A prospects. An opportunity they probably would not have had if Polak was still on the team. This is what I am saying, and why I first posted this signing was a questionable one to me.

In

Games

That

Did

Not

Matter.

The end of last season was pretty much a mini-camp. It was an evaluation period as we were never sniffing playoffs....we had multiple injuries to key players,and finishing last wasn't the worst thing that could happen. The start of next season will be about improving on a winning culture and attitude. You need players with experience to help with that approach. If the Leafs run out a defense of Rielly/Gardiner/Zaitsev (zero NHL games)/Carrick (limited NHL games)/Marincin (limited NHL games)/Hunwick (old and slow) then we may as well throw in the towel and tank from game 1.....which i can say with great confidence, is not the plan.

Mar 12, 2009
I've never seen so much controversy and arguing over a 3rd pairing defenseman signed to a 1 year, 2.25 million dollar deal.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
The Leafs have no defensive prospects that are both:

1) ready or very close to being ready for the NHL
2) could project to be 2nd pairing guys

Valiev is the closest, but I wouldn't really say he's close to being ready, still needs another half season and then you could give him another look.

Polak is not pushing away anyone. Plus, there's a good chance he'll be moved near the deadline (and then a high performing AHL dman can take his space like Valiev, Loov or even Dermott and Nielsen.)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
In

Games

That

Did

Not

Matter.

The end of last season was pretty much a mini-camp. It was an evaluation period as we were never sniffing playoffs....we had multiple injuries to key players,and finishing last wasn't the worst thing that could happen. The start of next season will be about improving on a winning culture and attitude. You need players with experience to help with that approach. If the Leafs run out a defense of Rielly/Gardiner/Zaitsev (zero NHL games)/Carrick (limited NHL games)/Marincin (limited NHL games)/Hunwick (old and slow) then we may as well throw in the towel and tank from game 1.....which i can say with great confidence, is not the plan.

You keep changing your arguments here by throwing out inconsistent statements. Leafs need vets, 6 mins to young players, now games do not matter. Ect...

Are you now saying Leafs signed Polak to play in meaningful games? I thought we established the Leafs are not contending this year?

Answer me this question if you will. Would Carrick or Marincin played 16:30+ mins last year had Polak's close to 20 Mins been in the line up? If the answer is no, they would have not gotten the chance to show they were 2 pretty good prospects in last year's games. You understand the point I made. There is no telling where they would be in terms of development and and on the team's depth chart if Polak was not traded.

So while the team is playing in games that do not matter, why not allow a young defenceman to try to impress as Carrick or Marincin did last year? Since Polak and his experience did not deter these 2 prime examples from impressing last year right did they? The experience you cite is overrated.

New Leaf

Oct 16, 2008
The whole "he'll get moved for a 2nd" thing needs to stop, I think. He got moved for way too much this year and failed in front of everyone on the biggest stage. I seriously doubt the Leafs will get anything approaching a 2nd at next year's deadline after his performance.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
You keep changing your arguments here by throwing out inconsistent statements. Leafs need vets, 6 mins to young players, now games do not matter. Ect...

Are you now saying Leafs signed Polak to play in meaningful games? I thought we established the Leafs are not contending this year?

Answer me this question if you will. Would Carrick or Marincin played 16:30+ mins last year had Polak's close to 20 Mins been in the line up? If the answer is no, they would have not gotten the chance to show they were 2 pretty good prospects in last year's games. You understand the point I made. There is no telling where they would be in terms of development and and on the team's depth chart if Polak was not traded.

So while the team is playing in games that do not matter, why not allow a young defenceman to try to impress as Carrick or Marincin did last year? Since Polak and his experience did not deter these 2 prime examples from impressing last year right did they? The experience you cite is overrated.

Every game is meaningful at the beginning of the season. Just because we accept that we probably won't be in the playoff hunt, doesn't make the games meaningless.

When there's 20 games left, and you're sitting amongst the worst teams in the league is when games become meaningless.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
The whole "he'll get moved for a 2nd" thing needs to stop, I think. He got moved for way too much this year and failed in front of everyone on the biggest stage. I seriously doubt the Leafs will get anything approaching a 2nd at next year's deadline after his performance.

They will get a 2nd or a 3rd. I am fairly confident in that.

Polak was good in the first three rounds, especially against L.A. and St. Louis. He was exposed against the speed of the Penguins, which I attribute mostly to the fact that he and Brendan Dillon were an absolute terrible pairing to keep together versus that team. Both are decent enough skaters and very physical, but handle the puck like grenades and are prone to brainfarts. If either one of them sat and a decent puckmover was brought in, it would have been a lot less ugly.

I definitely see Polak getting traded to a team in the West at the deadline.

New Leaf

Oct 16, 2008
They will get a 2nd or a 3rd. I am fairly confident in that.

Polak was good in the first three rounds, especially against L.A. and St. Louis. He was exposed against the speed of the Penguins, which I attribute mostly to the fact that he and Brendan Dillon were an absolute terrible pairing to keep together versus that team. Both are decent enough skaters and very physical, but handle the puck like grenades and are prone to brainfarts. If either one of them sat and a decent puckmover was brought in, it would have been a lot less ugly.

I definitely see Polak getting traded to a team in the West at the deadline.
Except he's gone back to Toronto. The Penguins are the only playoff team without cap room for Polak's 2.25. Several playoff teams have defensive spots available. Makes you wonder why no one wanted this "solid" bottom pairing defenceman. I'm not naive enough to think no one else gave him an offer, but I can believe that no playoff teams did.

buttman*

Rielly, Gardiner, Zaitsev, Marincin, Polak, Hunwick.

Corrado odd man out as always. Robidas is on Lou Island never to be seen again.

I really wish we can retool our D the next year either via draft or FA (too bad no Hedman).

Leafs will carry 7 or 8 D. Babs likes to carry 8 D.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
Except he's gone back to Toronto. The Penguins are the only playoff team without cap room for Polak's 2.25. Several playoff teams have defensive spots available. Makes you wonder why no one wanted this "solid" bottom pairing defenceman. I'm not naive enough to think no one else gave him an offer, but I can believe that no playoff teams did.

Most teams are going to want to see what their young guys are going to do first, and then if/when they aren't playoff ready, their teams can pick up Polak as insurance. Most are going to suffer injuries throughout the season as well and will need to shore up banged up d-corps, and Polak is a great veteran option to do that.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Lol at this thread.

Even when the Leafs make a minor move it brings the haters out in waves. :laugh:

Low risk, low reward. An insurance policy that may garner a 2nd or 3rd at the deadline. If not, nobody cares. He'll insulate the young guys and provide some leadership.... People trying to be critical of this are reeeeeeaaaalllllyyyyy stretching.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Well, considering Polak didn't play 32 minutes a night, i'm not sure how him being traded opened up 16+ minutes for both marincin and Carrick as you keep saying.

Now answer me this question if you will....in Babcock's entire red Wings career, how many times did he roll 3 green defenseman out? That isn't how he coaches/develops players.

Now, maybe you can answer this...if the Leafs don't sign Polak, as you so clearly state they shouldn't have....who exactly do we play if Carrick/Zaitsev/Marincin/Corrado don't play well?? Or should we just assume that all rookies are sure things and a depth defenseman is just a waste?

My statements have not changed. No coach in their right mind plays 3 rookie defensemen 16-20 minutes a night to start the season if they are trying to win, they would be given limited minutes in a bottom pair situation (6ish minutes) unless they are Ekblad type players...which clearly, these 2 are not . As i have stated MANY times, the reason Carrick/Marincin got the playing time they did was because it was late in the season and the coaches/management were evaluating players.

And don't you think trading our #1D and captain had a little more to do with playing time than the Polak trade did?

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix

He will be one of a very limited supply of veteran RHD that has cup experience at the deadline. A 2nd or more is very plausible

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Careful guys. Every game matters, and every game is a statement game.

This is how a losing mentality seeps in.

SharksCyclops

May 4, 2010
Bay Area
People freaking out over a 1yr deal less than 2.5 especially considering he could be a great trade chip at deadline. I forgot though, injuries don't happen and no playoff team will want to take a risk. The rosters are set and Polak has ruined the Leafs as a franchise.

Yeah he was terrible in the Final, but played well the previous three rounds. Some teams actually look at the whole picture rather than a sample size.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

and the whole "he wont get a 2nd, he will get a 4th at best" needs to stop as well.

leafs fans put up with this almost every year. Kaberle, Franson, Polak etc
Polak was paired with a spare part forward for two 2nds but you dont think he will get a 2nd again? He had a good year aside from the cup finals where pretty much all the shars were terrible.

try not to make yourself look as foolish as those guaranteeing guys like polak and franson were gonna get a 3rd at best.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
People freaking out over a 1yr deal less than 2.5 especially considering he could be a great trade chip at deadline. I forgot though, injuries don't happen and no playoff team will want to take a risk. The rosters are set and Polak has ruined the Leafs as a franchise.

Yeah he was terrible in the Final, but played well the previous three rounds. Some teams actually look at the whole picture rather than a sample size.

this x 100. Polak looked fine for me when the sharks were winning. they started him every game so its not like management thought he was a liability.

his cap hit will be around 400-450k at the deadline. if the leafs want to move him, there will be significant interest

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009

Valiev is the closest, but I wouldn't really say he's close to being ready, still needs another half season and then you could give him another look.

Polak is not pushing away anyone. Plus, there's a good chance he'll be moved near the deadline (and then a high performing AHL dman can take his space like Valiev, Loov or even Dermott and Nielsen.)

Valiev and Loov both played safe bottom pairing minutes with no issues whatsoever last year. Other than playing on his off-side, Polak -> Valiev isn't a downgrade in terms of overall play. All 3 of the guys you mentioned would benefit from a bigger role in the AHL, but they're fully capable of playing bottom pairing minutes right now if the team is willing to risk pigeonholing them in that role.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Valiev and Loov both played safe bottom pairing minutes with no issues whatsoever last year. Other than playing on his off-side, Polak -> Valiev isn't a downgrade in terms of overall play. All 3 of the guys you mentioned would benefit from a bigger role in the AHL, but they're fully capable of playing bottom pairing minutes right now if the team is willing to risk pigeonholing them in that role.

Valiev played 10 games at 12:00 mins minutes a night, while Loov played 4 games at 10:30 minutes a night. Both we're playing near the end of the season when the team was well out of the playoffs. These are both small sample sizes and "bad" samples. You can't really say whether either is ready.

With Valiev, he's a second year pro; it makes sense to leave him in the minors, and with Loov, he has a pretty low ceiling. I don't think it really matters what happens with him. And regardless, neither player have dominated the minors, so it's not exactly like they're kicking the door down trying to get into the NHL.

buttman*

Zaitsev. Ready and projects to be top 4.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Valiev played 10 games at 12:00 mins minutes a night, while Loov played 4 games at 10:30 minutes a night. Both we're playing near the end of the season when the team was well out of the playoffs. These are both small sample sizes and "bad" samples. You can't really say whether either is ready.

With Valiev, he's a second year pro; it makes sense to leave him in the minors, and with Loov, he has a pretty low ceiling. I don't think it really matters what happens with him. And regardless, neither player have dominated the minors, so it's not exactly like they're kicking the door down trying to get into the NHL.

I'm not disagreeing with any of that, just that they wouldn't be worse than any of the generic bottom pairing UFA's available right now. Giving one of the kids ~12 of Polak's minutes and spreading the other 4 among the rest of the group would be hardly noticeable outside of the PK. It's really whoever of Corrado/Carrick draws the short straw that's getting a little shafted here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad