Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Roman Polak (1 year, $2.25M)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Robidas/Horton LTIR of 7.55 million....poof....cap problem gone. (pretty sure MLSE has a group of people dedicated to the cap....but i'm sure you know better)

And i truly love this repeated 27th in GA....like playing rookie D and forwards had nothing to do with it. Like we weren't knowingly going to finish in the basement to acquire a top pick. Like our goaltending wasn't hot ****ing garbage for 90% of the season.

And contrary to your twisted beleaf, NHL teams actually do have players as "security blankets". It's called depth....most people understand this.

Unfortunately it doesn't answer my question what are you afraid of? Polak vets or no vets. Leafs are the 27th GA team 2 years running. Younger players with more upside have already made significant strides last year when given the chance. I don't see how the world will fall apart without Polak the position you are advocating for.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Unfortunately it doesn't answer my question what are you afraid of? Polak vets or no vets. Leafs are the 27th GA team 2 years running. Younger players with more upside have already made significant strides last year when given the chance. I don't see how the world will fall apart without Polak the position you are advocating for.

Afraid of??

How about following....

THE EDMONTON OILERS MODEL

Like you are suggesting we do. It's ridiculous

Mar 12, 2009
You can ignore my comments if you like. The main board is open for discussion on NHL players. I am responding to a poster that is replying to me. It is a 2 way street here. If you want to join in, you are welcome. Choice is yours post on the topic not me.

If you are having a 2 way conversation, maybe take it to PM rather than clogging up a thread on the main board with your bickering, as it's clear you and he are not going to change your minds. Yes, it's the main board, not sure how that precludes your comments from being questioned, as you seem to imply each time you post "this is the main board...". It's a public, open discussion anyone can be a part of, if people questioning your posts bothers you, maybe the main board isn't the best place for you.

Your fears that 2.25 for one year presents a significant cap problem for this season are exaggerated at best and don't appear particularly warranted, especially when he may be traded half way through the season (his cap hit is low enough to make his contract reasonably movable).

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Already answered....but, because i'm bored, here we go again. Afraid isn't the word, but what i never want to see is an Edmonton Oilers "throw the kids to the wolves and lets see what happens" style of rebuild....which is EXACTLY what you are advocating. Now that i have answered your question again...why don't you answer the one i keep asking that you have yet to respond to:

Who plays defense if one or more of Rielly/Gardiner/Zaitsev/Carrik/Marincin (again, puke worth starting D...but whatever...) either A: get injured or B: don't perform. Your answer cannot be "you don't know that will happen". I am pretty sure that in the history of the NHL, no team has had a starting D group that did not miss 1 game due to injury/Suspension/poor performance/personal reasons. So, we don't sign Polak....who steps in? Corrado? Well, maybe that covers 1 injury....but what about 2? Who's next? Again.....depth....let that word float around in your melon for a bit....

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
If you are having a 2 way conversation, maybe take it to PM rather than clogging up a thread on the main board with your bickering, as it's clear you and he are not going to change your minds. Yes, it's the main board, not sure how that precludes your comments from being questioned, as you seem to imply each time you post "this is the main board...". It's a public, open discussion anyone can be a part of, if people questioning your posts bothers you, maybe the main board isn't the best place for you.

Your fears that 2.25 for one year presents a significant cap problem for this season are exaggerated at best and don't appear particularly warranted, especially when he may be traded half way through the season (his cap hit is low enough to make his contract reasonably movable).

Ya, i should probably not bother....:laugh:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Already answered....but, because i'm bored, here we go again. Afraid isn't the word, but what i never want to see is an Edmonton Oilers "throw the kids to the wolves and lets see what happens" style of rebuild....which is EXACTLY what you are advocating. Now that i have answered your question again...why don't you answer the one i keep asking that you have yet to respond to:

Who plays defense if one or more of Rielly/Gardiner/Zaitsev/Carrik/Marincin (again, puke worth starting D...but whatever...) either A: get injured or B: don't perform. Your answer cannot be "you don't know that will happen". I am pretty sure that in the history of the NHL, no team has had a starting D group that did not miss 1 game due to injury/Suspension/poor performance/personal reasons. So, we don't sign Polak....who steps in? Corrado? Well, maybe that covers 1 injury....but what about 2? Who's next? Again.....depth....let that word float around in your melon for a bit....

You may have forgot but the Oilers plan also included veterans Ferrence, Nick Schultz, Petry, and Sekera on their teams. There are no guarantees.

And I posted this list earlier today when you claimed Babcock would not play 3 rookies.

Zaitsev is a 24 year old player with 7 KHL pro seasons under his belt.
Marinchin 24, has played 150 NHL games
Gardiner 26, has played 325 NHL games
Rielly 22, has played 236 NHL games
Hunwick 31, 407 NHL games

We will just have to disagree. You can keep replying to my posts, and if I have anything to add I will. Choice is yours. We agree to disagree or we move on.

But when you post false information. As in the 6 mins TOI Babcock claims or the 3 rookies on the D narratives. I will correct them. But at this point we are going in circles and I am willing to move on with an agree to disagree.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Not that I need to explain this. But the other posters are replying to me. When I do not reply, the poster that I am conversing with in this thread asked me why I ignored his reply. Now, he is saying why bother despite his many inaccuracies in this thread. Regardless, this is the main board, and we are free to discuss and reply to posters that want to discuss Polak and percussions to his signing. I am not sure why you did not ask him the same thing? Regardless, you asked, and I answered your post. There is always an ignore button if you want to skip my posts.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
You may have forgot but the Oilers plan also included veterans Ferrence, Nick Schultz, Petry, and Sekera on their teams. There are no guarantees.

And I posted this list earlier today when you claimed Babcock would not play 3 rookies.

We will just have to disagree. You can keep replying to my posts, and if I have anything to add I will. Choice is yours. We agree to disagree or we move on.

But when you post false information. As in the 6 mins TOI Babcock claims or the 3 rookies on the D narratives. I will correct them. But at this point we are going in circles and I am willing to move on with an agree to disagree.

So, we are running with 5 defensemen this season? Sorry, i missed that report.

In other words....list 7-8 defensemen that the Leafs can run with this season not including Polak. How is this such a hard question? How is listing 5 D men and then screaming "See?? You're wrong and i'm right!!" even close to bloody reasonable?
Do it...seriously, give me a list of 8 defensemen the Leafs can run with this season...without using Polak. I say 8, because that's the depth (at least) an NHL team needs to cover lost games due to the multiple factors i have listed multiple times.

Don't give me a God Dam list of 5....because there isn't a team in the NHL that dresses 5 D.

Your turn...list 8. False narratives my ass...prove me wrong...give 8 Maple Leaf NHL quality D...or give me 1 other NHL team that either A: Dresses 5 D or B: doesn't have the depth to dress 7 NHL caliber D. NOW...by NHL caliber, i'm not talking about guys with zero NHL games....or 20 NHL games.

The whole point to this assinine argument of yours is that the Leafs don't need Polak (or any other vet D i assume) So, it shouldn't be tough to list the wealth of Dmen we have that would easily be ahead of Polak.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
So, we are running with 5 defensemen this season? Sorry, i missed that report.

In other words....list 7-8 defensemen that the Leafs can run with this season not including Polak. How is this such a hard question? How is listing 5 D men and then screaming "See?? You're wrong and i'm right!!" even close to bloody reasonable?
Do it...seriously, give me a list of 8 defensemen the Leafs can run with this season...without using Polak. I say 8, because that's the depth (at least) an NHL team needs to cover lost games due to the multiple factors i have listed multiple times.

Don't give me a God Dam list of 5....because there isn't a team in the NHL that dresses 5 D.

Your turn...list 8. False narratives my ass...prove me wrong...give 8 Maple Leaf NHL quality D...or give me 1 other NHL team that either A: Dresses 5 D or B: doesn't have the depth to dress 7 NHL caliber D. NOW...by NHL caliber, i'm not talking about guys with zero NHL games....or 20 NHL games.

The whole point to this assinine argument of yours is that the Leafs don't need Polak (or any other vet D i assume) So, it shouldn't be tough to list the wealth of Dmen we have that would easily be ahead of Polak.

Who said this. It would help if you did put words in my mouth. That list was posted for the sole purpose in reply, to your assertion that Babcock would not dress 3 rookies. Where are the 3 rookies? I asked you this earlier? I am not sure why we are repeating this again. Zaitsev is a 24, 7 year KHL pro unlike the average rookie is he not?

We already touched on the positive effect Polak's departure had on Marincin and Carrick when they got the opportunity to play.

To answer your question which again I said earlier in the thread is the Leafs have a good farm team. What I would have done, was before they traded Harrington, and gave away Percy was try out one of Corrado, Carrick, Harrington, Percy, Valiev at the 6th D position. Remember the Leafs are the 27th GA team 2 years running with Polak and other vets on D. There is little risk of the defence being worse.

Polak is a 5th or 6th D man on a good team, with his signing the Leafs are over the cap. I see the benefit of let's say of further developing say a Carrick at the NHL level. Ask yourself did it hurt either Marinchin or Carrick last year when they were given 16:30+ mins by Babcock last year?

We will agree to disagree.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Who said this. It would help if you did put words in my mouth. That list was posted for the sole purpose in reply, to your assertion that Babcock would not dress 3 rookies. Where are the 3 rookies? I asked you this earlier? I am not sure why we are repeating this again. Zaitsev is a 24, 7 year KHL pro unlike the average rookie is he not?

We already touched on the positive effect Polak's departure had on Marincin and Carrick when they got the opportunity to play.

To answer your question which again I said earlier in the thread is the Leafs have a good farm team. What I would have done, was before they traded Harrington, and gave away Percy was try out one of Corrado, Carrick, Harrington, Percy, Valiev at the 6th D position. Remember the Leafs are the 27th GA team 2 years running with Polak and other vets on D. There is little risk of the defence being worse.

Polak is a 5th or 6th D man on a good team, with his signing the Leafs are over the cap. I see the benefit of let's say of further developing say a Carrick at the NHL level. Ask yourself did it hurt either Marinchin or Carrick last year when they were given 16:30+ mins by Babcock last year?

We will agree to disagree.

They already did that.

Harrington had his shot last year, couldn't cut it and became a giveaway. Organization obviously didn't think much of Percy, or else they wouldn't have given him away. They've seen Corrado, and seem to be perfectly content with him sitting in the pressbox.

Polak isn't here to battle for a 6th defenceman spot with Carrick, Polak will have his spot, and it'll probably be in the top 4 alongside Jake Gardiner. He's taking a role that none of the other defencemen on the roster were remotely well suited for.

Carrick & Zaitsev will get their opportunities as 6th and 7th defencemen, with Valiev likely being the 9 guy, assuming Corrado sticks around. If he doesn't, then Valiev becomes the 8.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad