Confirmed Trade: [TOR/PIT] Jared McCann for Filip Hallander and 2023 7th round pick

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You are missing my point. I’m not mad about McCann being traded. I don’t give a flying anything about McCann alone. I figured he was exposed for sure and ultimately probably picked, or at least probably. And I would have also protected Blueger. But to protect a 36 year old center with one year on a deal. Trade McCann. Then expose basically your entire bottom six identity that remains. Is flat out. Pejorative Slured. Idiotic. Should not even be allowed to have a drivers license level of dumb.

Potentially losing Tanev to Seattle shouldn't cause you this much grief.

If the Pens' chances of doing anything in the playoffs hinge entirely on having Tanev in the lineup, then that speaks volumes about how far away from contending they are.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You are missing my point. I’m not mad about McCann being traded. I don’t give a flying anything about McCann alone. I figured he was exposed for sure and ultimately probably picked, or at least probably. And I would have also protected Blueger. But to protect a 36 year old center with one year on a deal. Trade McCann. Then expose basically your entire bottom six identity that remains. Is flat out. Pejorative Slured. Idiotic. Should not even be allowed to have a drivers license level of dumb.

Tanev’s impressed me. But getting out of that contract for nothing now would be a smart move.

We would still have Zucker, Carter and Blueger that makes up our bottom six once Malkin comes back from surgery.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
This is true. Maybe there is a deal we are not aware of or Seattle is stupid, but seems unlikely.

Seattle also just signed Hakstol as their Head Coach while still under contract with the Leafs. Needed Toronto's permission to go. Leaving McCann unselected may be a favour for a favour.

Reactions: ultra63

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Potentially losing Tanev to Seattle shouldn't cause you this much grief.

If the Pens' chances of doing anything in the playoffs hinge entirely on having Tanev in the lineup, then that speaks volumes about how far away from contending they are.
What is our bottom six roster without both McCann and Tanev? I’ll wait... It’s a often injured ZAR. And no one with any energy. And no one with any level of an acceptable shot. I’ll still wait for you to list out your bottom six.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
What is our bottom six roster without both McCann and Tanev? I’ll wait... It’s a often injured ZAR. And no one with any energy. And no one with any level of an acceptable shot. I’ll still wait for you to list out your bottom six.

If Malkin is healthy our bottom six is likely built around Carter and Blueger which can easily be added to especially if we lose Tanev’s 3.5 mil.

Start of the season will be rough.

Harvey Birdman

Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Tanev’s impressed me. But getting out of that contract for nothing now would be a smart move.

We would still have Zucker, Carter and Blueger that makes up our bottom six once Malkin comes back from surgery.
If given the coin flip I would 100% loose Zucker over Tanev. :laugh: That’s like looking at a rock and butter then asking which would break a window. :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I mean, you do realize that with those contracts off the books then Hextall can use that money to add guys, right? He's not going to lose those guys and not replace them.

You're asking me to fill out the bottom six when free agency hasn't even begun. If the Pens have a big gaping hole in the bottom six come October, then by all means, rant away.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Harvey Birdman

Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I mean, you do realize that with those contracts off the books then Hextall can use that money to add guys, right? He's not going to lose those guys and not replace them.

You're asking me to fill out the bottom six when free agency hasn't even begun. If the Pens have a big gaping hole in the bottom six come October, then by all means, rant away.
And you are talking about magic beans and I’m talking about the most intelligent moves that could have been made with current roster you hold onto the best option you have for the best option in the future. You don’t roll the dice or stare down a gun.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Seattle also just signed Hakstol as their Head Coach while still under contract with the Leafs. Needed Toronto's permission to go. Leaving McCann unselected may be a favour for a favour.

Imagine getting rid of Hakstol and swindling a favor out of it.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
And you are talking about magic beans and I’m talking about the most intelligent moves that could have been made with current roster.

No, you're talking about the end of the world because Tanev might be taken.

One of them would have been taken by Seattle anyways, so we likely would have lost either Tanev or McCann even if McCann wasn't dealt. So you're getting bent out of shape because we (potentially) lose 2 of them instead of just 1.

Which goes back to my point. If losing one bottom six forward completely derails the Pens' chances, then they weren't a contender anyway.

Harvey Birdman

Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office

Also, look at the UFA list, if we delete both McCann and Tanev is taken. Who is on the list that A can be signed for your argued better position. And B makes a better roster. Again I’ll wait. But I won’t hold my breath because I would sufficate.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Also, look at the UFA list, if we delete both McCann and Tanev is taken. Who is on the list that A can be signed for your argued better position. And B makes a better roster. Again I’ll wait. But I won’t hold my breath because I would sufficate.

So you think our success hinges on Tanev being in our bottom six.

Again, you're asking me to speculate on who is going to be in our bottom six during the off-season before we even see who end up being UFA, or what trades Hextall may be able to pull off, all because apparently losing TANEV turns our bottom six from impressive into utter crap.

Tanev is severely underpaid if his impact is so great that with him our bottom six is a legitimate contender but without it is terrible.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Do people really not think that the leafs…. Who’s assistant just took the head coach job.

don’t know who is getting picked?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Because it's very likely that a side deal occurs to ensure McCann gets passed over. Glad we agree that McCann is an upgrade to Kerfoot. They added Grit in the form of Simmonds, Foligno and Bogosian; didn't alter the results.

Correct... they added "token" grit... they did not change the greatness of their core or the top of their lineup.

I'm not so sure McCann is an upgrade on Kerfoot in the areas he needs to be an upgrade on (defensive ability, forechecking, greatness, difficulty to play against, consistency). If anything, from what I've read, he seems to almost be a carbon copy who makes a little bit less.

Harvey Birdman

Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
So you think our success hinges on Tanev being in our bottom six.

Again, you're asking me to speculate on who is going to be in our bottom six during the off-season before we even see who end up being UFA, or what trades Hextall may be able to pull off, all because apparently losing TANEV turns our bottom six from impressive into utter crap.

Tanev is severely underpaid if his impact is so great that with him our bottom six is a legitimate contender but without it is terrible.
Penguins success does not hinge on any one of Carter, McCann, or Tanev individually. But protecting Carter... a 36 year old center. Trading McCann... Because why? And then exposing Tanev? Makes the team foundational worse. If Tanev is not picked okay then this is a head bob move flip a coin type of choice. But if we protected Carter, traded McCann, and loose Tanev for free. There is zero... literally zero percent chance of you making an argument for a better team. And why the Pens decided to stare down that gun dumbfounds me.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Correct... they added "token" grit... they did not change the greatness of their core or the top of their lineup.

I'm not so sure McCann is an upgrade on Kerfoot in the areas he needs to be an upgrade on (defensive ability, forechecking, greatness, difficulty to play against, consistency). If anything, from what I've read, he seems to almost be a carbon copy who makes a little bit less.

Hes better defensively and posseses a far better shot . Kerfoot is allergic to shooting but I did like his late season pk work . I'll grant you that McCann isn't what I'd describe as tenacious. I'd love to add a guy like Bertuzzi to the top 6 if it can be accomplished responsibly. I think he'd complement either of the lines .

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Penguins success does not hinge on any one of Carter, McCann, or Tanev individually. But protecting Carter... a 36 year old center. Trading McCann... Because why? And then exposing Tanev? Makes the team foundational worse. If Tanev is not picked okay then this is a head bob move flip a coin type of choice. But if we protected Carter, traded McCann, and loose Tanev for free. There is zero... literally zero percent chance of you making an argument for a better team. And why the Pens decided to stare down that gun dumbfounds me.

You seem like a Penguins fan who thought the window was over after the 2014 window.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Hes better defensively and posseses a far better shot . Kerfoot is allergic to shooting. I'll grant you that McCann isn't what I'd describe as tenacious. I'd love to add a guy like Bertuzzi to the top 6 if it can be accomplished responsibly.

I’m not sure McCann is better than Kerfoot defensively. That is really the whole reason we are getting rid of McCann because Blueger is a better 3C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad