Confirmed Trade: [TOR/PIT] Jared McCann for Filip Hallander and 2023 7th round pick

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
They could be looking at it from the perspective of Kerfoot being a better deadline asset, give him a year with soft PP minutes and you can probably get a late 1st+ for him at 50%.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Seattle will have lots of choices for bottom pair D. Not as many for mid 6 guys who can play C. McCann over Kerfoot is an upgrade if your trying to upgrade the compete level of the roster. I dont see why Seattle would take Holl over Kerfoot anyway. It's a blown opportunity. The Dubas regime keeps degrading the roster while bleeding picks and assets.
I agree with the 1st part. I was saying thats why Kerfoot is a preferable pick for Seattle over Dermott. But the exposed forwards look a lot better than i thought they would. Maybe not centers in particular, but forwards in general.

I dont get that last part though. Looks like you're just eager to get a Dubas shot in. Given what we gave up for McCann, its either we lose Kerfoot, Dermott, or Hallander basically. And according to everyone on here Kerfoot sucks and is overpaid, so maybe that wouldnt be such a bad thing. I personally hope Dermott is taken over either forward.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Debatable whether he is more valuable than Holl, but Holl is probably more important to us. Him and Muzzin form a solid 2nd pair and he is on a very cheap contract.

Am I the only one who thinks Holl has been surprisingly good for what he is?

I don't remember thinking he looked terrible. (responding to other teams fans saying he's garbage)

I like him.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Honestly, I think the problem with McCann is similar to the problem that guys like Galchenyuk and Domi have. He thinks he should be a center but every coach thinks he should be a winger.

I don't know what it is with him, but there's something behind the scenes going on with McCann that makes NHL coaches and GMs view him as far less than what fans view him as.

He didn’t play wing in VAN or Florida.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Am I the only one who thinks Holl has been surprisingly good for what he is?

I don't remember thinking he looked terrible. (responding to other teams fans saying he's garbage)

I like him.
He's a Toronto Maple Leaf so its what i expect at this point.

For what he is, a defensive RD making $2 million, yes, he is good for what he is.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I agree with the 1st part. I was saying thats why Kerfoot is a preferable pick for Seattle over Dermott. But the exposed forwards look a lot better than i thought they would. Maybe not centers in particular, but forwards in general.

I dont get that last part though. Looks like you're just eager to get a Dubas shot in. Given what we gave up for McCann, its either we lose Kerfoot, Dermott, or Hallander basically. And according to everyone on here Kerfoot sucks and is overpaid, so maybe that wouldnt be such a bad thing. I personally hope Dermott is taken over either forward.
Except you could have just kept McCann who is better and would help next years roster over whoever you lose.

Reactions: Gurglesons

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Penguins just.... I can't even....stupid, stupid, awful move.

And another player gets Sullivaned... I'm really so over him

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Why would Seattle take Dermott? Considering what was left unprotected on defense, he doesn't seem like the type of defender Seattle would want to add ahead of them. McCann/Kerfoot, on the other hand, seem like exactly the type of forward an expansion team would take hoping that a bigger role results in a breakout year (ala William Karlsson for Vegas).

Reactions: biturbo19

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I would have protected McCann or Tanev over protecting Carter, there is no way Seattle takes Carter. But loosing McCann isn’t the end of the world. His best value is his ability to play wing and center. He is a better winger than center but he can do both. But at best he is middle six. It’s not the end of the world loosing him. Quite a bit of panic button with people with that. I will say if we traded him, and loose Tanev, damn the bottom six takes a huge hit in Pittsburgh. But Pittsburgh won’t be a success or failure on McCann’s departure alone.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I would have protected McCann or Tanev over protecting Carter, there is no way Seattle takes Carter. But loosing McCann isn’t the end of the world. His best value is his ability to play wing and center. He is a better winger than center but he can do both. But at best he is middle six. It’s not the end of the world loosing him. Quite a bit of panic button with people with that. I will say if we traded him, and loose Tanev, damn the bottom six takes a huge hit in Pittsburgh. But Pittsburgh won’t be a success or failure on McCann’s departure alone.

Carter would cost 2 mil and then they can do 50% off if they trade him. Probably would easily get a 1st for him.

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDo

Harvey Birdman

Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Carter would cost 2 mil and then they can do 50% off if they trade him. Probably would easily get a 1st for him.
Seattle would not have take a 1 year 36 year old center. When they would of had McCann, ZAR, Tanev, etc. To pick from. That was poor protection. 0% chance of you convincing me otherwise. Don’t waste the finger movement typing.

Harvey Birdman

Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I’m mean it has been reported that they wanted McCann, then Carter in that order.
Then they should’ve protected the younger assets and made them choose the older less term player. Or had that be their choice. Dumb move. I’m a die hard Pens fan. Bad move. If the team looses both McCann and Tanev to just protect Carter. Horrible move. Seattle now picked ZAR or Petts? Sure. But they definitely decided to stare down the barrel of a gun on this one.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
They could be looking at it from the perspective of Kerfoot being a better deadline asset, give him a year with soft PP minutes and you can probably get a late 1st+ for him at 50%.
Lol nobody gives a 1st for kerfoot even at 100% retain

Reactions: Pandaman11

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I get why Pittsburgh did the trade and I get why the Leafs would want an upgrade at 3C for a couple of lower value assets. So the trade makes sense.
But exposing McCann when you could have just kept him and let one of Kerfoot, Holl or Dermott walk is harder to justify imo. I mean you have the asset now so why not protect him and lose one of the other guys. Unless they value those players and especially Holl more than McCann?

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I get why Pittsburgh did the trade and I get why the Leafs would want an upgrade at 3C for a couple of lower value assets. So the trade makes sense.
But exposing McCann when you could have just kept him and let one of Kerfoot, Holl or Dermott walk is harder to justify imo. I mean you have the asset now so why not protect him and lose one of the other guys. Unless they value those players more than McCann?

They probably view Holl as more valuable to their defense corps' top four than McCann to their third line.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Then they should’ve protected the younger assets and made them choose the older less term player. Or had that be their choice. Dumb move. I’m a die hard Pens fan. Bad move. If the team looses both McCann and Tanev to just protect Carter. Horrible move. Seattle now picked ZAR or Petts? Sure. But they definitely decided to stare down the barrel of a gun on this one.

McCann was probably my favorite player the last few years outside of Letang and a player I wanted prior to acquiring him. With the emergence of Blueger though, he wasn’t going to be played at C and likely getting a pay raise next year. Sucks to lose him for what we did ultimately, but at least we got an asset for him. If we lose Tanev for nothing, I’ll see it as a solid deal given the contract he got.

Harvey Birdman

Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
McCann was probably my favorite player the last few years outside of Letang and a player I wanted prior to acquiring him. With the emergence of Blueger though, he wasn’t going to be played at C and likely getting a pay raise next year. Sucks to lose him for what we did ultimately, but at least we got an asset for him. If we lose Tanev for nothing, I’ll see it as a solid deal given the contract he got.
So in your math, making sure we have Carter and Blueger, while possibly loosing McCann and Tanev leaves the Pens better? I’m ether insane or you are. Because I see one roster as vastly superior to the other. Probably going to have to be an instance of agree to disagree.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
So in your math, making sure we have Carter and Blueger, while possibly loosing McCann and Tanev leaves the Pens better? I’m ether insane or you are. Because I see one roster as vastly superior to the other. Probably going to have to be an instance of agree to disagree.

Ideally I would’ve protected both McCann and Blueger, but I get the reason they kept Carter. He’s proven in the playoffs, he’s a good guy in the room and he’s a big bodied vet. It’s shitty long term, but I also trust PIT’s front office more than Toronto’s in terms of evaluating talent. People have been dunking on us for years and we seem to get good value out of cast offs like McCann regularly.

Ultimatey, I think the reality is Hextall wants to put his stamp on this team. McCann was a complete bust in three straight playoffs. I know it’s a short sample and a bad analysis, but honestly this team isn’t going to miss him.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Is there something wrong with McCann? I mean character wise? Team mate wise. Hard to see why he gets passed around so much and why he was used in this manner.

If Seattle has some inside info on McCann maybe they do take Kerfoot and maybe that leaves the Leafs with a problem teammate???

Player wise McCann seems a definite asset.

Harvey Birdman

Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Ideally I would’ve protected both McCann and Blueger, but I get the reason they kept Carter. He’s proven in the playoffs, he’s a good guy in the room and he’s a big bodied vet. It’s shitty long term, but I also trust PIT’s front office more than Toronto’s in terms of evaluating talent. People have been dunking on us for years and we seem to get good value out of cast offs like McCann regularly.

Ultimatey, I think the reality is Hextall wants to put his stamp on this team. McCann was a complete bust in three straight playoffs. I know it’s a short sample and a bad analysis, but honestly this team isn’t going to miss him.
You are missing my point. I’m not mad about McCann being traded. I don’t give a flying anything about McCann alone. I figured he was exposed for sure and ultimately probably picked, or at least probably. And I would have also protected Blueger. But to protect a 36 year old center with one year on a deal. Trade McCann. Then expose basically your entire bottom six identity that remains. Is flat out. Pejorative Slured. Idiotic. Should not even be allowed to have a drivers license level of dumb.

Reactions: Scrapy1980

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad