Confirmed Trade: [TOR/PIT] Jared McCann for Filip Hallander and 2023 7th round pick

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
McCann wont break 30 points next year in a full season. He had immense puck luck that is not sustainable
but he was on pace for 30 points the last 5 seasons...

the leafs hate is straight up cringey sometimes :laugh:

edit: location = buffalo. makes sense why you're so miserable and I'm not just talkin bout the hockey team.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Because it's very likely that a side deal occurs to ensure McCann gets passed over. Glad we agree that McCann is an upgrade to Kerfoot. They added Grit in the form of Simmonds, Foligno and Bogosian; didn't alter the results.

There are fans of about 25 clubs right now that think there is a side-deal with Francis to not to take one of the good players they've left exposed.

It's very unlikely that there is more than a couple of those side-deals actually in place.

Unless Francis loves Kerfoot, we're very likely to lose Mccann.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Why bother trading for McCann if you're gonna expose him immediately?? Might have as well kept Hallander.

I get it if you trade for a UFA like Goodrow because you verbally agreed that he'll resign with you. But McCann isn't a FA.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Why are you dragging me into your argument? A little feminine of you.
As I love women and am not threatened or intimidated by them I will take that as a compliment. So thanks for that. And I wasn't arguing with anyone. If you didn't want to get quoted perhaps you shouldn't have so perfectly illustrated throwing irrelevant jabs at fanbases.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
7-3-1 Would've been the smart move after acquiring McCann. 4-4-1 made sense before this deal. I guess Dubas holds Holl higher than most of us do. I don't think he's terrible, but definitely not worth protecting over McCann.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
7-3-1 Would've been the smart move after acquiring McCann. 4-4-1 made sense before this deal. I guess Dubas holds Holl higher than most of us do. I don't think he's terrible, but definitely not worth protecting over McCann.
I would assume he did the deal to attempt to distract Seattle from the players he covets more. Pretty low cost on the trade anyways so meh.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Debatable whether he is more valuable than Holl, but Holl is probably more important to us. Him and Muzzin form a solid 2nd pair and he is on a very cheap contract.
That's still dumb. Holl might have some magic dust that makes him play better with Muzzin, but he's awful without him. Muzzin isnt getting any more durable with age. Why does Seattle take a Muzzin-less Holl who is a 29 year old journeyman over McCann, who is an upgrade over Kerfoot, who would both help them more than Holl. Dubas is in the wrong job.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
That's still dumb. Holl might have some magic dust that makes him play better with Muzzin, but he's awful without him. Muzzin isnt getting any more durable with age. Why does Seattle take a Muzzin-less Holl who is a 29 year old journeyman over McCann, who is an upgrade over Kerfoot, who would both help them more than Holl. Dubas is in the wrong job.
How is he awful without him? At worst he is a solid defensive 3rd pairing RD.

I'm perfectly fine with losing McCann. Basically we just lost Hallander, which is much better than losing Dermott/Kerfoot. Or we lose Kerfoot and McCann replaces him. None of the players up for grabs are worth crying over.

Luckily we will never know if Seattle would take Holl :)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why bother trading for McCann if you're gonna expose him immediately?? Might have as well kept Hallander.

I get it if you trade for a UFA like Goodrow because you verbally agreed that he'll resign with you. But McCann isn't a FA.

Toronto paid Hallander to make sure Kerfoot didn't get taken or have a replacement for Kerfoot if Kerfoot did get taken.

It makes perfect sense.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
With McCann off the books and whoever they lose in the expansion draft Pittsburgh should have enough savings to sign their RFAs and fill out the bottom of their lineup. Win-win for both teams.

This is something that is also being overlooked. Penguins are against the cap and needed $ to sign some RFA's. Also, with McCann due a raise after this season, he was going to be gone three days from now via Seattle or around this time next year because of free agency.

If he's not in the long-term plans, might as well see what you can get in return for him.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
McCann wont break 30 points next year in a full season. He had immense puck luck that is not sustainable

This is a stupid take. McCann has paced for more than 30 points in every single year since he became a regular for Florida in 2017-2018.

He's effectively a lefty version of Kapanen that can play center.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Justin Holl is a bottom pairing D who played more minutes than he should in a weaker division with Muzzin being his D partner. He isn't bad but he doesn't have puck skill and he's not a guy a top 5-10 team should have on their top 4 if the Leafs want to be that.

McCann on the other hand could legitimately have been their 3C and they could've moved Kerfoot.

Doesn't make sense to me either.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Yep I bet he gets picked off before even calling him. Jared probably booking some lease for apartment in Seattle as we speak.
Yes, the GM that also drafted him in the OHL and knows him personally didn't even call him yesterday after acquiring him. You're totally right.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Justin Holl is a bottom pairing D who played more minutes than he should in a weaker division with Muzzin being his D partner. He isn't bad but he doesn't have puck skill and he's not a guy a top 5-10 team should have on their top 4 if the Leafs want to be that.

McCann on the other hand could legitimately have been their 3C and they could've moved Kerfoot.

Doesn't make sense to me either.

Honestly, I think the problem with McCann is similar to the problem that guys like Galchenyuk and Domi have. He thinks he should be a center but every coach thinks he should be a winger.

I don't know what it is with him, but there's something behind the scenes going on with McCann that makes NHL coaches and GMs view him as far less than what fans view him as.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Given what we know now with the 4-4-1, I guess the options were:

Give up some assets (not much) to aquire a player that Seattle wants in McCann.
Once selected, the Leafs have ~ 9.5mill in cap to replace Hyman while keeping the rest of the team intact.

vs

No trade, and Seattle selecting Kerfoot
Now you have ~ 10 mill in cap to replace a 3C and Hyman.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Got to think there is a side deal already in place for Kerfoot or Dermott to be selected. Maybe it is both players. Only reason I can see the Leafs not protecting McCann. Would you trade Kerfoot and Dermott to keep McCann?

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
How is he awful without him? At worst he is a solid defensive 3rd pairing RD.

I'm perfectly fine with losing McCann. Basically we just lost Hallander, which is much better than losing Dermott/Kerfoot. Or we lose Kerfoot and McCann replaces him. None of the players up for grabs are worth crying over.

Luckily we will never know if Seattle would take Holl :)
Seattle will have lots of choices for bottom pair D. Not as many for mid 6 guys who can play C. McCann over Kerfoot is an upgrade if your trying to upgrade the compete level of the roster. I dont see why Seattle would take Holl over Kerfoot anyway. It's a blown opportunity. The Dubas regime keeps degrading the roster while bleeding picks and assets.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
There are fans of about 25 clubs right now that think there is a side-deal with Francis to not to take one of the good players they've left exposed.

It's very unlikely that there is more than a couple of those side-deals actually in place.

Unless Francis loves Kerfoot, we're very likely to lose Mccann.

well then your team effectively traded a meh prospect and a seventh to protect all of its players… great job!

Reactions: Kurtz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad