Trade: [TOR/PIT] Francisco Liriano, H. Ramirez & McGuire to the Blue Jays for Drew Hutchison

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
McGuire and Ramirez to go along with Liriano? I'm starting to become more okay with losing Hutch...

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
This is a total disaster for the Pirates. In four months of disastrous play, the Liriano extension went from an incredibly sly and bargain deal for a #2 starter to an apparent albatross that the Pirates were too cheap to just suck up and ride out.

Hutchison is a stab in the dark. Maybe he really puts it together and is a slightly above league average pitcher for a few years, but the Pirates just took a sledge hammer to their second tier prospect depth to save 14 million. Completely abysmal... hard to imagine that we couldn't have made a serious offer for Moore given this debacle.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I...there is no defending this one.

The Pirates clearly don't think Liriano is fixable at this point...but to give up two fringe Top 100 prospects for what is essentially a reclamation project.

****, man. ****. Hutchinson has to live up to his old potential for this to not be embarrassing.

Gunnar Staal

Mar 17, 2004
This is absolutely terrible, from a Pirates perspective. The worst trade they've made since they acquired Matt Morris.

Huntington has gone off of the deep end.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
That's what I'm thinking. Hopefully having them back together will help turn Liriano into a better pitcher again.

Now that the prospects are named too, it's really a no brainer for the Jays.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Thanks Pittsburgh. I liked Hutch but we got a pitcher that could work out back with Martin and even if he doesn't we got 2 prospects who together are more valuable than Hutch and fills a couple spots in the upper levels of the farm which was fairly bare for us.

I can't defend the use of prospects to dump salary for the Pirates, but this could still work out for him. Hutch has pitched well in Buffalo this year, but a spot just hasn't opened up, I've felt for a while if he even figures it out he can be quite good. Maybe with a change of scenery and the Pirates pitching coach getting him can work out great for him and the Pirates.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I think this might be an ownership thing where the GM's hands are tied.

I highly, highly, highly doubt it. I hate Nutting just as much as every Pirates fan, but the man is hands off when it comes to the way the team is run, especially in season. If the budget was higher then maybe Huntington doesn't feel the need to pay to get rid of Liriano, but I don't believe for a second that this trade happened because of Bobby wanting to build another luxury lodge at Seven Springs.

That said Huntington is working within a budget and may have seen Liriano taking up such a chunk of it as a huge problem, but I think this is simply a case of a GM getting smitten with someone (apparently he's been trying to get Hutchison for 3 years now) and overpaying to get it done.

I also get the feeling that there are very serious concerns about McGuire's lack of a bat...but this is still just awful asset management.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Hopefully with this deal, the Jays' brass silenced a few of the louder haters who are still bitter that AA skipped town.

It's a good trade. I don't think he properly addressed the bullpen still but there are options now. We will see what happens with Sanchez.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
It's a good trade. I don't think he properly addressed the bullpen still but there are options now. We will see what happens with Sanchez.

Sanchez is going to the bullpen, that is essentially confirmed at this point. It's just a matter of when. I would think he has one start left.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Sanchez is going to the bullpen, that is essentially confirmed at this point. It's just a matter of when. I would think he has one start left.

Yeah, I get that. I just feel like they have/will bungle the whole situation. I would have liked for them to have an actual plan and stick with it and make contingencies based on that. Sanchez to the BP - fine then make sure your starting pitching is set. I am hopeful for Liriano as I've liked him for a while but it is a huge question mark. The rest of the BP outside of Osuna and Grilli is hot garbage so while Sanchez will undoubtedly pitch less in the BP he's still gonna get lots of work and you don't want to pitch those guys every day.

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun interviewed Leo Mazzone , former pitching coach of the Atlanta Braves, and he stated that the Jays would be making a mistake in moving Sanchez to the bullpen. He believes in pitching more with less exertion and not getting caught up in pitch counts and radar guns. He also believes that altering a pitchers routine, such as a move to the bullpen, can be very disruptive. If you've followed Sanchez's last number of starts, he looks very smooth and untaxed, appearing like he has lots left in the tank even after being removed after 7 innings. Here's the link to the article:

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/07/3...ave-aaron-sanchez-as-starter-says-leo-mazzone

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I'd rather not give Simmons the attention, but I agree that Sanchez should stay in the rotation.

Stroman
Estrada
Dickey
Happ
Sanchez

and now Liriano added to the mix.

Has a six-man rotation ever been done? :laugh:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'd rather not give Simmons the attention, but I agree that Sanchez should stay in the rotation.

Stroman
Estrada
Dickey
Happ
Sanchez

and now Liriano added to the mix.

Has a six-man rotation ever been done? :laugh:

Good news is come post-season they could do Stroman-Estrada-Happ-Liriano but IMO they'll have Sanch start if they make it, they could keep his innings low since they'll have excess starters in Dickey/Liriano/Happ

McGuire and Ramirez to go along with Liriano? I'm starting to become more okay with losing Hutch...

Hutch isn't a s big a loss as some are saying IMO.

Jays taking on all the Liriano cash.

Finally using their big-market ability, rich ownership money to good use. Ironically enough when they are ran by small-markert guys Shapiro / Atkins.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Pretty sure Atkins ruled out the scenario of parking Sanchez in the bullpen and having him start in the playoffs yesterday.

When push comes to shove..... and they're down 0-2 in the ALDS or the ALCS we will see. I still think they will give him spot starts a la Harvey/Mets to keep him fresh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad