Trade: [TOR/PIT] Francisco Liriano, H. Ramirez & McGuire to the Blue Jays for Drew Hutchison

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Re-uniting with Martin can't hurt.

Looks like Hutchison is going to PIT.

Gotta think PIT is eating some of the $13,666,667 he is set to make in 2017.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Worked for Grilli. Hopefully it works for Liriano. Hutchison has the potential to be a solid #2-3 if he ever learns to locate his fastball.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Giving up Hutch is gonna come back to bite them imo

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Watch Searage salvage Hutchison and turn him back into a solid pitcher as he did with Happ, Liriano before this year, and Volquez.

This move might come back to bite the Jays in the ass in more ways than one.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Watch Searage salvage Hutchison and turn him back into a solid pitcher as he did with Happ, Liriano before this year, and Volquez.

Won't bite us this year unless Liriano blows a clincher at the end of the year/playoff game

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
I am not a fan of giving up Hutch. I still believe he can become a solid starting pitcher. Now lets see what Searage can do to him.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I would say having Liriano in the rotation in any form is "blowing it"

Especially if they're serious about limiting Sanchez's innings.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Liriano has been truly a disaster this year, but Hutchinson doesn't seem to have much value at the moment either, and Harold Ramirez is a very solid prospect.

Pretty weird trade - it's definitely part salary-dump, part big projection with Hutchinson. If Searage can get his fastball/slider back to form, the Pirates will have a usable SP under more control than the last few deadline experiments, both of which were almost universally panned at the time (Volquez, Happ). Maybe we can go 3/3.

I don't love this as a Pirates fan. Ramirez was an expendable prospect with Marte, Polanco, and Meadows firmly in front of him, but you'd think there would be a better way to use him than in a weird, quasi-lateral move for a little bit of salary relief.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
If Pirates keep Hutchison on the farm for a few more weeks, he should be under control for 3 more years. Came into the season with 3 years and 128 days of service time. Spent a few days in MLB this year.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Ramirez for Hutchinson is awful...but to add another prospect and liranio...makes it even worse. Was neal drunk when he accepted this deal?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Hutch is mentally weak. It's not just a mechanical thing. If there's a baserunner, he completely unravels.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Hutch is mentally weak. It's not just a mechanical thing. If there's a baserunner, he completely unravels.

Yep. Never had any confidence in him turning it around. Doesn't have the mental make up to be a big league player IMO.

We'll see what happens. Liriano can be very good, hopefully Russ helps him get back to being effective. Never heard of the prospect but everything I read indicates he's a solid pick up.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Hutch with Searage could be the key to unlocking his potential.

Hopefully Liriano, with Martin catching, can recapture his old form.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I have been traveling a lot and not paying as close attention as I'd like to, but Liriano has been showing some signs of improvement and then completely coming apart lately. I wouldn't have a lot of confidence that he can regain his form, but with him it's more like spinning a roulette wheel than anything with mechanics, etc.

Hutchison is a bit more intriguing than I first thought, but seems like an overpayment from the Pirates in order to dump Liriano.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad