Confirmed with Link: [TOR/NYI] Matt Martin for Eamon McAdam

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Lol at the reaction in here.

Couldn't even get a pick. Instead gets a journeyman goalie. I mean maybe he sees something in him, but seems like a poor return considering Martin was apparently in high demand.

At the same time, good to get rid of the contract.
Got rid of 2.5m caphit, that's pretty big for next year. Even if Martin was high in demand what would he be worth? a 7th round pick?

Reactions: pacman25

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I was hoping to get a late rd pick instead of a worthless slug to balance contracts considering Martin has only 2.5m in actual money owed to him .

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I get why he was traded. I can see the justification behind it.

The only downside in this trade is, everyone says that the Leafs are easy to play against & this isn't going to help the cause. But the pros for trading him definitely outweighed it.

At this point Marchment is a more useful player to put in that spot, and he's $2 mil cheaper.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Couldn't even get a pick. Instead gets a journeyman goalie. I mean maybe he sees something in him, but seems like a poor return considering Martin was apparently in high demand.

23 years old is a journeyman right now...who knew!

We got his contract off the books and got some Goalie depth. We will be trading a goalie or two.

Reactions: cookie

AlmightyPO

Dec 13, 2009
London
Might have both McElhinney and Sparks up on the Leafs playing 10 or so games each.
Could happen, but would mean we have to keep 3 goalies with the big club, considering Sparks will have to pass waivers to go to the AHL this season.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
The rumor going around on the weekend was there was serious interest in Martin. To me getting a 7th or an ECHL goalie with little or no upside is not what you expect from serious interest.
well coinsidering he spent a half year in the playoffs ,to get rid of 2,5 off the books is real kewl .
looks like dubas has a plan in place ...wow what a difference from burke ans dave no nuts

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Thanks Lou.

Honestly just nice to free up the cap space. Oh well they don't really get anything back for him in terms of other assets. But hey cap space is great. Best of luck out there Martin.

Reactions: PromisedLand

bentharbs

Feb 25, 2018
Matt Martin was never in high demand. The reports might have said that, but what they meant was several teams might be interested...Toronto media.

Offloading is the return and it is good AF. Clearly Lou was in charge of some of the worst decisions here over the past couple of years...

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018

who realistically is going to give them a pick for a 4th line healthy scratch who's play has been outdated for 10 years.

he has zero skill. Only value he has is he's good in the locker room.

dubas hit a home run just getting rid of the contract.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
You need more than 1 guy on your team to answer the bell. With the line-up currently constructed name 1 or 2 guys that you'd be scared to go into the corner with?

Who on, say, TB or Pittsburgh fits that bill?

Reactions: cookie

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
I get why he was traded. I can see the justification behind it.

The only downside in this trade is, everyone says that the Leafs are easy to play against & this isn't going to help the cause. But the pros for trading him definitely outweighed it.
For sure, if Martin is in playing, there’s an element of toughness that is there when Brown or even Grindstrom if he’s there wouldn’t bring. But I look at it 2 ways, you free up a spot and money for a guy previously in the press box most of the year and also that there are other players that have size and grit they could acquire later in the offseason who may offer more than Martin did with us, but at a much smaller cap hit

Reactions: coupe93 and canadon

AlmightyPO

Dec 13, 2009
London
The rumor going around on the weekend was there was serious interest in Martin. To me getting a 7th or an ECHL goalie with little or no upside is not what you expect from serious interest.
I'd bet Dubas gave Lou priority on this trade. Maybe he could've got a 6th from someone else, but if Lou wanted him I'm sure Dubas was willing to help him make it happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad