Confirmed with Link: [TOR/NYI] Matt Martin for Eamon McAdam

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Are there actually people complaining we got nothing of substance? That’s the point of a cap dump and not having to retain.

Give me no retention and a Martin-less team over retention plus a 7th every day of the week and twice on Sundays

Last edited:

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Dubas absolutely destroying this offseason, what a champ.

And oh Lou, starting to become pretty clear why Shanny chose the way he did
Shanny helped Lou more than anything. He's president of the freakin Islanders. That's amazing given Lou's stage of his career.

I think we should be more grateful it wasn't Mark Hunter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anthrax442

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Just like that, shedding $2.5M on the cap. Beautiful. Good luck Martin. That 4th line Isles had a few years ago was pretty good. Is Lou taking over there?

LaymanX

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
upload_2018-7-3_15-13-18.jpeg

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I can understand the want to get rid of Matt Martin, but I think the he could have been valuable for the Leafs. He probably wasn't going to get a ton of ice-time and the longer that he was in the press box, the more agitated people would have got with him.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Are there actually people complaining we got nothing of substance? That’s the point of a cap dump and not having to retain.

Give me no retention and a Martin-less team over a 7th every day of the week and twice on Sundays

The rumor going around on the weekend was there was serious interest in Martin. To me getting a 7th or an ECHL goalie with little or no upside is not what you expect from serious interest.

Reactions: hullsy47

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I think Dubas took a smaller return to essentially donate Martin to the Islanders. Sorry we took your franchise player for nothing, at least you can have a physical presence for cheap.

Reactions: Keon1963

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
I can understand the want to get rid of Matt Martin, but I think the he could have been valuable for the Leafs. He probably wasn't going to get a ton of ice-time and the longer that he was in the press box, the more agitated people would have got with him.
You basically won the argument against yourself. He wasn’t going to play, that 2.5m is key next season with the need to give out big money

Reactions: pacman25

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

This is good for Martin too which might be been part of the equation.

Going back to the team where he had the most success and maybe even playing with the same guys.

He wasn't going to be playing much here.

Great for all involved really.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Just like that, shedding $2.5M on the cap. Beautiful. Good luck Martin. That 4th line Isles had a few years ago was pretty good. Is Lou taking over there?

Looks like he's trying to get to the cap floor and build a team that's nasty to play against but will ultimately tank for their next superstar. I'm sure they would love to position themselves for a Jack Hughes.

All of these signings will help keep the flies off Barzal now that he's going to draw tough assignments every night.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
The rumor going around on the weekend was there was serious interest in Martin. To me getting a 7th or an ECHL goalie with little or no upside is not what you expect from serious interest.
I have faith that there wasn’t serious interest despite the rumours.... I’m pretty sure Dubas, whose proclaimed patience, wouldn’t have jumped the gun trading him for nothing if he thought he could have gotten more for him

The serious interest could’ve been three teams offering garbage left out in today’s heat for Martin and Dubas chose the least rancid piece of garbage he could get

Reactions: cookie and Lauro

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
We not only got softer now...we got Tavares who like 2 minute shifts.....we got a Euro coach who thinks he has reinvented the game with soft hockey.. will likely soon lose Mathews and who else.....Time will tell.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Why are people acting like Martin had no value? I'm happy to see him go but he's still able to play hockey and he was brought into help a team who was in last place. It sounds like the Isle's dressing room is a bit of a mess so bringing back a respected vet seems like a good idea for them.

Also Dubas and Lou clearly have a great working relationship, neither of them was fleeced they both got what they needed from this trade.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
You basically won the argument against yourself. He wasn’t going to play, that 2.5m is key next season with the need to give out big money

I get why he was traded. I can see the justification behind it.

The only downside in this trade is, everyone says that the Leafs are easy to play against & this isn't going to help the cause. But the pros for trading him definitely outweighed it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad