Confirmed with Link: [TOR/NJD] Andreas Johnsson for Joey Anderson

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Couldn't even crack NJ's crappy team full time.

And yet people are here saying this guy has a shot to be a decent third liner. Lol.

If a NJ fan offered Anderson for Johnsson a couple days ago, you would've been calling the guy a scrub and not good enough. Just be honest with your assessment of this guy.

AJ himself along with Hyman didn't play in the NHL until they were older than he is now

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
you can’t develop a motor or determination like Zach Hyman has. You either have it or you don’t.

Part of hymans skill is being able to play on the top line. Most people see him as a 3rd liner yet he plays on our top line. We have tried other players who have more skill yet they are unable. We have tried players who are similar to hyman and they cant play on top line either. With hyman it isnt chemistry either. He is equally effective with tavares line as matthews line.

Hyman is a funny player. Hope it doesnt take $5 million to keep him.

Reactions: Havoc

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
2019-2020 5v5:

Johnsson with Matthews:
CF%: 54.68
xGF%: 53.79
GF%: 54.26

Johnsson without Matthews:
CF%: 47.04
xGF%: 42.89
GF%: 33.86

Matthews without Johnsson:
CF%: 53.74
xGF%: 56.76
GF%: 61.46

Even until the injury, Johnsson had a real bad year away from Matthews. I was never really a Johnsson fan though but I wish him well in NJ.

Reactions: Havoc and Sypher04

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
There is a whole lot of hindsight is 20/20 going on in this thread.

Keeping Marleau and getting rid of AJ and KK?!?!? IMAGINE the threads that would have been made had Dubas done that last year.

We absolutely had to reallocate dollars to the defence that we had previously committed to our forward group. AJ was a cap casualty of exactly that. People are up in arms as if this guy had top line talent. AJ is a good depth player on a contending team, something that is replaceable. I will take Brodie, BOGO, Anderson, Simmonds, Vesey, Boyd, Amirov, and Hallinder over keeping KK AND AJ all day. It’s a no brainer when you consider the alternate option is running it back with a much worse d core then we had last year.

If Dubas had started selling off KK and AJ for futures after acquiring Barrie and Kerfoot last year he would have been crucified. It’s so easy to look back after everything has played out and nit pick, but it’s also just dumb. Reminds me of people who get heated about being just a few numbers off on a lottery ticket. “If only that was a 6 instead of an 11.... dammit I should of picked 6, I could of been a millionaire!!”

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
There is a whole lot of hindsight is 20/20 going on in this thread.

Keeping Marleau and getting rid of AJ and KK?!?!? IMAGINE the threads that would have been made had Dubas done that last year.

We absolutely had to reallocate dollars to the defence that we had previously committed to our forward group. AJ was a cap casualty of exactly that. People are up in arms as if this guy had top line talent. AJ is a good depth player on a contending team, something that is replaceable. I will take Brodie, BOGO, Anderson, Simmonds, Vesey, Boyd, Amirov, and Hallinder over keeping KK AND AJ all day. It’s a no brainer when you consider the alternate option is running it back with a much worse d core then we had last year.

If Dubas had started selling off KK and AJ for futures after acquiring Barrie and Kerfoot last year he would have been crucified. It’s so easy to look back after everything has played out and nit pick, but it’s also just dumb. Reminds me of people who get heated about being just a few numbers off on a lottery ticket. “If only that was a 6 instead of an 11.... dammit I should of picked 6, I could of been a millionaire!!”
It’s all moot if he doesn’t max out the cap.

Reactions: egd27

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
It’s all moot if he doesn’t max out the cap.

Management may have been anticipating the 5 million+ higher cap that was coming in before Covid. They have been all about maximizing our financial advantages and obviously had a plan for the off season that was obliterated by a global pandemic. I think Dubas has done amazing considering the curveball thrown at us.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
AJ himself along with Hyman didn't play in the NHL until they were older than he is now

Hyman at 20 and 21 - 26 points in 73 NCAA games
Coleman at 20 and 21 -42 points in 79 NCAA games
Anderson at 20 and 21 - 40 points in 57 AHL games, 13 points in 52 NHL games.

Those are his stylistic comparisons, and he's much better/ further along than they were at his age.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Management may have been anticipating the 5 million+ higher cap that was coming in before Covid. They have been all about maximizing our financial advantages and obviously had a plan for the off season that was obliterated by a global pandemic. I think Dubas has done amazing considering the curveball thrown at us.
Marleau had to be moved before COVID.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Marleau had to be moved before COVID.

Oh, I know but its still relevant as Dubas and the current GM team inherited Marleau right?

For all the teams who are always at the cap, Covid was a devastating blow. Even though they all planned to have x number for the cap, its gonna be cut by 5-10% and remain static....deal with it.

I want the Leaf maxing out the cap. We all should. All GMs make mistakes in their lineup. Covid was like taking on Marleau's salary again as permanent retention that might even get worse for rich teams. Quibbling about, lets say, the 2 million Marner might be overpaid pales to whats happened. If not for Covid we could be welcoming AP into the lineup right now if he wanted to come home...

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Oh, I know but its still relevant as Dubas and the current GM team inherited Marleau right?

For all the teams who are always at the cap, Covid was a devastating blow. Even though they all planned to have x number for the cap, its gonna be cut by 5-10% and remain static....deal with it.

I want the Leaf maxing out the cap. We all should. All GMs make mistakes in their lineup. Covid was like taking on Marleau's salary again as permanent retention that might even get worse for rich teams. Quibbling about, lets say, the 2 million Marner might be overpaid pales to whats happened. If not for Covid we could be welcoming AP into the lineup right now if he wanted to come home...
Yes he inherited Marleau and a ton of cap space. He removed any leverage he had by maxing it out and needing to remove the player.
Agreed, the expectation is they should use all cap space.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
you can’t develop a motor or determination like Zach Hyman has. You either have it or you don’t.
Not true... In fact it's the last trait that the top end players in the history of the game develop in taking there game to the next level where winning trumps scoring goals. If Matthews , Marner, Nylander don't start to improve on this you could forget about a championship with this core.

You win championships when your best players lead in the compete department... This is why the Leafs haven't won a playoff round with this group. Zack Hyman is the teams best player at playing winning hockey. It's good for Hyman but terrible for the trajectory for the team as a whole when that's the case.

How do you beat elite talent? You out work it.

How do you beat elite talent that out works you? You don't

Reactions: aingefan

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Not familiar with the player but does he really go by Joey?

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I like this trade more every minute I read/learn/watch about Joey Anderson. This guy will make the roster soon, if not this season.

I said before that I wanted a 3rd for Johnsson, but would be ok with a 4th rounder. Well, Anderson is actually a better return than a 3rd.

I'll admit it. I didn't know about him when the trade dropped, so I was bummed at the time. I figured he was a nothing piece. I was wrong.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
You know how the leafs have many many picks 3rd round or later that don't really pan out by 22? They can't crack the lineup more than short term, and haven't really progressed? You know how we pretty much just give up on those players and don't really ever think of them again?

That's what Anderson was to Jersey. Can't believe anyone acting like he's more than that.

Not that I'm blaming Dubas per see. Apparently 90% of the cap leaguewide is used, and that's with many teams trying to have lower internal caps. I'm happy Dubas was able to clear the cap space at all... but let's not try and pretend there was any sort of return.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I like this trade more every minute I read/learn/watch about Joey Anderson. This guy will make the roster soon, if not this season.

I said before that I wanted a 3rd for Johnsson, but would be ok with a 4th rounder. Well, Anderson is actually a better return than a 3rd.

I'll admit it. I didn't know about him when the trade dropped, so I was bummed at the time. I figured he was a nothing piece. I was wrong.
Without further moves, he has a good shot as it stands at challenging for the 4RW spot with PK time. If he comes to camp ready. Playing with a guy like Spezza every shift can only be beneficial for a rookie I'd think. He does a lot of talking and "coaching" if you watch him with the younger guys

Reactions: qqaz

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Its expected that Anderson would be the inferior player in the deal since the Devils are picking up salary. If he becomes a speedy 3rd/4th liner that kills penalties I'm more than pleased.

Reactions: qqaz and Sypher04

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

It's too bad Matthews and Marner weren't on expiring contracts this year. Would've been crazy savings.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
You know how the leafs have many many picks 3rd round or later that don't really pan out by 22? They can't crack the lineup more than short term, and haven't really progressed? You know how we pretty much just give up on those players and don't really ever think of them again?

That's what Anderson was to Jersey. Can't believe anyone acting like he's more than that.

Not that I'm blaming Dubas per see. Apparently 90% of the cap leaguewide is used, and that's with many teams trying to have lower internal caps. I'm happy Dubas was able to clear the cap space at all... but let's not try and pretend there was any sort of return.

People are just saying he looks like he could be a player. Which he does. Hell he's already played 2 NHL stints. Over 50 games total. No one is suggesting he's not a project or that we didn't give by far the better player today. Fwiw, that Rachel person who actually worked for the Devils seems to think he's still got a good deal of potential.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Part of hymans skill is being able to play on the top line. Most people see him as a 3rd liner yet he plays on our top line. We have tried other players who have more skill yet they are unable. We have tried players who are similar to hyman and they cant play on top line either. With hyman it isnt chemistry either. He is equally effective with tavares line as matthews line.

Hyman is a funny player. Hope it doesnt take $5 million to keep him.
Hyman clicks very well with either line because he is very aware of his own limitations and works very hard. Kapanen for all his raw skill tended to get tunnel vision or tries to do too much to be the 3rd wheel on a top line. Kapanen's speed was unreal and created high-danger chances, but he'd get so far ahead of the play, that if he didn't convert on the shot it tended to lead to a one and out situation, whereas Tavares, Matthews and Marner love to play off the cycle. Hyman knows that the simplistic play is generally the best, which means lay-off the puck to Marner, Matthews, Tavares or Nylander and drive the net to create a screen or tip opportunity while dragging a defender to create space. Be the first man on the forecheck and win that battle or at least hold it until the 2nd man can come in. While it may sound simplistic, it is a bit of an adjustment for guys who have generally been their teams top player (or among them) their whole lives or have been expected to be game breakers.

Anderson was actually the 3rd wheel on a pretty damn good USNTDP line (Bellows-Keller-Anderson), and has some similar traits.

Reactions: nuck

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I think everyone is under estimating this kid because he’s spent his whole career with 60% DZ starts and _probably_ with offensively-challenged linemates as a result.

We compare him to Hyman but the only thing his usage has had in common with Hyman is that he was on the PK and zero PP time. But he _probably_ hasn’t had the benefit of playing with the quality of teammates that Johnsson and Hyman had 5v5.

In the years that Johnsson’s usage was similar to Anderson, Johnsson put up 1.5 p/60 5v5 at 25 and Anderson put up 1.1 p/60 at 21, and I doubt Anderson was playing with any partner of the ilk of Matthews, Nylander, Marner or Tavares.

I think the kid would look completely different in the top 6, and in a couple years (still younger than Johnsson today) could look better. Or, be a valuable contributor in the bottom 6.

I wouldn’t write him off yet given his usage.

Reactions: aingefan

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
"Anderson is a very competitive player that plays with a high motor. He battles for loose pucks and attacks the opposition hard to take away time and space and create turnovers. Though he's got a big enough shot from the perimeter to be effective there, he isn't afraid to fight his way to the front of the net. He's a player that gets the most out of what he has."

Just based on the scouting report and highlights he seems to have a good shot (better than Hyman) and a good motor but lacks the speed Hyman has when he turns on the jets.

He played with high end players Keller and Bellows iirc, so he can play that 3rd forward role for two skill players.

I think he'll fit well but we'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad