Confirmed with Link: [TOR/NJD] Andreas Johnsson for Joey Anderson

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Makes sense.

Our NHL ready forward prospects are pretty thin because of poor drafting in the ~2015-2017 stretch, and we just made 12 picks in this past draft to help in future years.

Getting someone who could potentially step in this year was a bigger need.
That does make him a sensible add.
From the Marlies, there’s Korshkov and him who look like projectable top-9 complimentary wingers, and then Sandin/Lili on D.
Plus the usual suspects for other depth.
The rest of the prospects are further away.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008

“I’m a strong two-way player, with a pretty good focus on defence and details. I’m not going to do flashy things with the puck, I’ll make the play in front of me I need to. I’m able to cast round the lineup wherever coaches need me.
“I think I can contribute on the third and fourth line, I’m confident in my penalty-killing abilities.”

can we have more players like this please? Team had too many one dimensional, selfish players. We’re trending away from that and it’s nice to see. Maybe they’ll be more likeable next season.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
His return wasn't too bad to be honest. I thought he would go to Ottawa for one of pick 52/59/61. Instead, he returned a 2016 3rd round pick who is currently 2nd in games played amongst those 3rd round picks. Basically the same tier of prospect just with expedited development at the expense of upside.

Mentat

Sep 19, 2020
can we have more players like this please? Team had too many one dimensional, selfish players. We’re trending away from that and it’s nice to see. Maybe they’ll be more likeable next season.

Kind of a tank at 5’11” and over 2 hundi. Scores well at the Ahl level and in big games,defensively sound,agressive battle lover. Admires Hyman. I like it

We most definitely need more of this in our roster. Those bottom pairings require these tools for us to thrive as a team and if this lad can bring them to the ice, he´s gonna be a very useful addition. We´ll have to wait and see if he can pass muster.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Mirtle suggested the team likely could have gotten a pick (didn't say where) for him but saw value in Anderson instead.
I'm thinking a lot of GMs will be using the same line of thought. I.e. getting a NHL ready prospect you can contribute very soon on an ELC is better than a later pick that may not make a impact (if ever) for like 3+ years

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Mirtle suggested the team likely could have gotten a pick (didn't say where) for him but saw value in Anderson instead.

Joey Andersen was a originally mid 3rd round pick [2016 round 3 #73 overall by New Jersey Devils] and as such considered a b-level prospect, so if you were being offered a 3rd round pick then it would be essentially a wash in return value with Andersen simply being usable now as opposed to 3 years down the road.

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
I personally don’t see a big loss with this deal. Johnsson is very good, but given his inconsistency and discipline issues, he lacked some versatility as well.

The Leafs next step is to start having more defined roles for our bottom six players. This will help support the top six because we can reduce using them on the penalty kill or in shutdown roles. I recall Dubas saying that we should be drafting for skill, acquiring what we need via trade though those skilled players we draft. Johnsson is a perfect example of this.

So Anderson seems like the type of player we needed. Quick, some skill, lots of jam, and specializes in penalty killing. On the bottom six lines, that will be hugely important. Maybe one day he’ll get to Hyman’s level, but for now, a very defined defensive and grinding role is perfect for him, and for the Leafs.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
We got rid of Brown to keep him.

dubas was in over his head and still is.

hf boards wanted players like Brown, Leo gone and now we need them.

Now people want Marner gone.
I would trade JT in a heart beat and his Right winger.
The day we signed JT to that deal started us down the path of over payments.
Yup, players like Brown or a younger Uncle Leo are exactly what is needed.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
For a little perspective if folks are down on Anderson. When Johnsson was Anderson's age, Johnsson had not played a game in the NHL. Leafs fans rated Johnsson below Gauthier on our prospect depth chart.

In the NHL, Anderson's ppg is lower than Johnsson but the gap is mostly due to Anderson not having any PP time and being deployed in defensive situations (60% dz starts v.s. Johnsson's 60% oz starts).

Anderson scored only 10% less PPG than Johnsson did over their AHL career (0.78 ppg v.s. 0.7 ppg).

Yea, Anderson probably won't be a 20 goal scorer, but Johnsson wouldn't be either if he embraced Anderson's defensive role. Johnsson is a 20+20 player when he gets 60% OZ starts and 2mins of PP per game as passenger along side elite players. Lots of players are 20+20 when used like that.

Anderson will kill penalties and will be valuable in the bottom 6 even when he's not producing. In case of injuries if Anderson is forced up to the 2nd line, his 5v5 production won't be materially short of Johnsson's 5v5 production. If he reaches expectations and gets used like Hyman: digging for pucks and battling in front of the net in the OZ in the top 6, he probably will be a 20+20 player like Hyman, and provide more value defensively and on the PK than Johnsson ever would.

Simply put, our roster needed more of Anderson and less of Johnsson.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Joey Andersen was a originally mid 3rd round pick [2016 round 3 #73 overall by New Jersey Devils] and as such considered a b-level prospect, so if you were being offered a 3rd round pick then it would be essentially a wash in return value with Andersen simply being usable now as opposed to 3 years down the road.
I don't get why anyone has a problem with this trade.

Joey Andersen would go in the first round in a redraft. Only 28 players in the 2016 draft have more NHL points than Joey, and he has barely played. The hope is we get another Hyman/Johnsson/Mikheyev type of player, cost controlled and has the ability to play with our top 3Cs. His stats look good, and everything we've heard about his work ethic and personality has been excellent.

I did not include Kapanen because he was given the chance to play with very good centers and take a permanent spot, but he was not capable.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The Taveras signing is the gift that just keeps on taking. Kapanen, Pietrangelo, Johnsson, the casualties are piling up.
Because we would never have spent that $11,000,000 and held right on to it until Pietrangelo became available i know. Do you really believe that ha. Plus we have to ignore the assets and cap space received moving Kappy and Johnsson also right. It’s impossible to understand posts like this son. ;)

Reactions: qqaz

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
The most important thing about Anderson is that he will likely arrive at the NHL the season after next at a cheap salary, and has a skillset the Leafs need. This is cap management by Dubas.

Look how many forwards have expiring contracts next year (and a bunch of them are senior citizens).
They need cheap 3rd/4th line options next year with the flat cap.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
For a little perspective if folks are down on Anderson. When Johnsson was Anderson's age, Johnsson had not played a game in the NHL. Leafs fans rated Johnsson below Gauthier on our prospect depth chart.

In the NHL, Anderson's ppg is lower than Johnsson but the gap is mostly due to Anderson not having any PP time and being deployed in defensive situations (60% dz starts v.s. Johnsson's 60% oz starts).

Anderson scored only 10% less PPG than Johnsson did over their AHL career (0.78 ppg v.s. 0.7 ppg).

Yea, Anderson probably won't be a 20 goal scorer, but Johnsson wouldn't be either if he embraced Anderson's defensive role. Johnsson is a 20+20 player when he gets 60% OZ starts and 2mins of PP per game as passenger along side elite players. Lots of players are 20+20 when used like that.

Anderson will kill penalties and will be valuable in the bottom 6 even when he's not producing. In case of injuries if Anderson is forced up to the 2nd line, his 5v5 production won't be materially short of Johnsson's 5v5 production. If he reaches expectations and gets used like Hyman: digging for pucks and battling in front of the net in the OZ in the top 6, he probably will be a 20+20 player like Hyman, and provide more value defensively and on the PK than Johnsson ever would.

Simply put, our roster needed more of Anderson and less of Johnsson.
Nice post

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The most important thing about Anderson is that he will likely arrive at the NHL the season after next at a cheap salary, and has a skillset the Leafs need. This is cap management by Dubas.

Look how many forwards have expiring contracts next year (and a bunch of them are senior citizens).
They need cheap 3rd/4th line options next year with the flat cap.

Malgin and Korshkov could also start to factor in after one more year (or less) in the AHL. I imagine guys like Petan and Brooks will be more like AAAA guys (i.e. 14th and 15th on the depth chart), but they are good AAAA guys and we will definitely need them if we want success.

Korshkov looks good enough to play in the NHL right now.

I still have a ton of faith in Malgin. He plays a lot like Johnsson and if he has one good year of development away from the NHL (whether that is in the NLA or the AHL), he could end up as good as Johnsson (15-20 goal, ~40 point 3rd line winger). Mostly just needs to bulk up (5-10 lbs and he is Johnsson's size) and add some power to his shot. Everything else is probably at or above Johnsson's level right now. At the very least Malgin should come with as much hope and promise as Barabanov has right now at the start of the 2021-2022 season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad